New RB Options

shwarma5

Recruit
Premium
The reality is having four available players at RB (assuming Gus does indeed transfer and DJ does not play RB) puts us an injury away from being VERY thin. This thread is not about blaming coaches since this came out of left field, but rather about realistically asking the board is there another VIABLE option. Any thoughts on the following names (since right now 18' offers no guarantees not to mention we could lose two backs after this year - Walton to the draft and Choc if he can't commit to the program per Brooklyndee). The below have offers per 24/7, and do not appear to have a major off field concern (e.g. Lemons and why he is not on the list)

Kyshuan Bryan
Malik Davis (UF is a dumpster fire)
AJ Davis

I know Paranos is championing the guy from TN, but he also doesn't have a previous offer. At least to those you offered you could say "we always liked you but were also full at the position. That changed and so that is why we are reaching out."

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think they'll make a play for AJ Davis or bust. Maybe Felix? (why the **** would he want to go to Oregon anyway). Then they will likely bring in Stanton Truitt or Tyshon Dye.

I've seen Bryan play quite a bit. He is a good RB who I think can play at this level. What do you have to lose by offering him?

Help me understand why McFarland is that much more desirable than Bryan.

problem is the last weekend of visits starts today, quiet period on Sunday, dead period Monday, NSD Wednesday. It'd be hard to even get a kid to set up a visit at this late date.

If anything, maybe we look at some post-NSD options (grad transfers, position changes, kids who never signed anywhere, etc.)

Advertisement
problem is the last weekend of visits starts today, quiet period on Sunday, dead period Monday, NSD Wednesday. It'd be hard to even get a kid to set up a visit at this late date.

If anything, maybe we look at some post-NSD options (grad transfers, position changes, kids who never signed anywhere, etc.)

i just want all the attention this weekend to be on Smith and his family.

What about starting Deejay or CJ Henderson there?

The sky is not falling! IMO, it will put the canes in good shape to land a couple good ones next year.

AT BEST, McFarland was 3rd string next year.

The worst part about his situation is, what he did to Thomas Brown and the fact that it would have been nice for momentum.

Many kids sign after Feb 1. Happens every year. And why Richt has said countless times that he likes to save a couple of 'ships for transfers, juco, kids that quality later, and lastly kids making decisions later...

Relax folks.

Advertisement
it's too late to get any legitimate rb who knows they were our backup plan with five days to go.

gonna have to get a grad transfer since mcfarland ****ed us over

If Henderson, Edwards, and Dean all come I think DJ may start out at "utility back" in the Spring at least.

Hard to imagine a grad transfer wanting to come here to sit behind walton, homer, and maybe choc. I hope I'm wrong. I say give DJ reps at running back in practice in case we need him there in an emergency situation.

Kid and his family really did us a good one!

Advertisement

Very good point, but that is why I am also keeping this list to FL options since it is easiest for a local (or regional) kid to get here last second. Both Davis' are not noted as having anything scheduled this weekend and Bryan per 24/7 is en route to Iowa. I think if we were interested a quick call could still be made to keep him from making the trip. Also, it does not appear any have taken their max visits, another factor to consider.

Many kids sign after Feb 1. Happens every year. And why Richt has said countless times that he likes to save a couple of 'ships for transfers, juco, kids that quality later, and lastly kids making decisions later...

Relax folks.

Don't think this thread is about freaking out at all. It's just being pragmatic. Dallas and Henderson (if he comes) could be options, but they also aren't prime options. I just started the thread since I think we need to talk about REAL depth vs. emergency depth. That's also the difference between a freshman and a grad transfer. Grad transfer is likely third string then gone. We likely need someone who can be depth this year, but then possible second or third string in 18. Burns could be the good, but also has not been on the field.

If you're Richt, do you try to talk some sense into Gus and get him to stay? Brown even admitted that he should have played him more.

Advertisement
It's going to be a grad transfer. Which will be okay for this season in terms of depth but it puts a lot of pressure on Burns to put his injury struggles in the past and land two running backs next cycle.

I'd like to make a run at Bryan. Before the year, DMoney referred to him this way: "Of all of these backs, Bryan is the safest bet to be a good college player. " That sounds like exactly what we need as an insurance guy going into next year - and maybe like a Gio Bernard type, he turns out to be even better than just "good RB", which was the label he got back at STA, too.

Didn't we get Corn to sign after signing day? There will be other options to add to depth whether through later signing or grad transfer (especially after spring ball when guys graduate).

Advertisement
Back