New Quarterback Commit? - walk-on

Advertisement
[video=youtube_share;zb5dd4FGSKg]http://youtu.be/zb5dd4FGSKg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;LKyEj-_jnBk]http://youtu.be/LKyEj-_jnBk[/video]

Here is a little background on UM's recent Walk-On QB commit that will enroll in June as part of the 2014 class.

Colin Feller transferred from Oklahoma to Ponte Vedra FL for his Sr Year per Fla Varsity Article

Colin Feller was the first-ever freshman quarterback on Altus (Okla.) High School's varsity football team. As a junior, he transferred to Elk City High School.

His latest stop is at Ponte Vedra High School for his senior year.

While football is the same-at its core-wherever you play, there are a few subtle differences from the dry plains of Oklahoma to the humid sub-tropical Florida.

"It's hard to keep the ball dry," Feller said.

Humidity aside, there are adjustments to be made in different regions.

Feller cited the heightened speed and a more abundant spread offense in Florida's high school football.

"I am definitely trying to make myself more mobile," the senior QB said.

He went on to say that the defense had to respect the pass or the run in Oklahoma. He did not see many spread attacks during his time at the two Oklahoma schools.

Feller will have to be careful as he tries to become more mobile. He is coming off of a broken ankle that he suffered in week 9 last season. The good news: he threw a touchdown pass. The bad news: a 6'5 defensive lineman landed on him the wrong way.

"It feels like it's 100 percent," Feller said as continues to recover from ankle surgery.

Feller has been training with renowned quarterbacks coach Joe ****enson and the DeBartolo group.

As he and the rest of the Sharks get ready for their season opener at Nease on Aug. 30, Feller has another thing on his mind: where he will play college football.

The senior has received interest from schools all over the country, such as: Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Missouri, Southern Miss, Michigan State and Florida State. He also received heavy interest from Virginia Tech.

Last edited:
Why are those highlights from only four games? Those are pretty good for four games...Did he get injured again? Maybe that explains why no offers?

Advertisement
Look, these kind of guys usually amount to nothing on the field but it costs nothing. The others that surprise have books and movies made about them. No risk, who cares.

Advertisement
Per Shodell:

Ponte Vedra (FL) High School QB Colin Feller was pondering his college options, which ranged from a potential grayshirt at Virginia Tech to attending programs like East Carolina, Georgia State and North Texas.

But after UM offered him a preferred walkon spot yesterday with the chance to earn a scholarship down the road, Feller jumped at the opportunity.

"I took it, I'm super excited," Feller said. "It's an opportunity to go down there and be part of the team."

The 6-foot-4, 200-pounder says UM became intrigued by him after his coach sent film of him to the school.

"Coach (Brennan) Carroll said he loved the film and that the staff wanted me there," Feller said. "I told them that's what I wanted to do, and they told me I'm all set, good to go as a preferred walkon."

Feller adds that "Coaches said I have a chance to be put on scholarship depending on how I perform."

Feller hasn't lived up to his potential in high school due to injury. As a junior playing in Oklahoma he dislocated his ankle in the ninth game, and last season at Ponte Vedra High he broke the index finger on his throwing hand in the third game.

"I still had schools calling, wanting me," Feller said.

He threw for 2,000 yards with 23 touchdowns and seven interceptions as a junior, and as a sophomore he started four games and threw for 800 yards with 12 TDs.

"Going to the U was kind of my goal," Feller said. "Miami's a good fit and I'm excited. I get a chance to get on scholarship and earn the job."

Ponte Vedra High coach Mike Lloyd, a former pro QB, compares Feller to current UM quarterback Ryan Williams.

"He's similar to Ryan, has a really good arm," Lloyd said.

Lloyd has sent 11 QBs to Division I programs and nine to Division II.

"I really think he has Division I ability," Lloyd said. "He's got a lot of upside to him. When healthy he played really well. He's got the ability, is an extremely hard worker. He's just been banged up."

Advertisement
This kid has a better delivery than Williams(side arm).Cant believe we are taking a walk-on that could potentially beat out starters.Getting back to Quarterback U!

This kid has a better delivery than Williams(side arm).Cant believe we are taking a walk-on that could potentially beat out starters.Getting back to Quarterback U!

Where in this thread was that said?

Advertisement
Everyone who reads these forums knows that QB's with the unique skill set of the Mighty Morris are hard to find, hence all others on the roster are bums. The a priori proof is that no one beat him out. :crownpour:

I like how comfortable this dude is in the pocket, which speaks to his awareness; which is on point!! He does just enough to elude the rush, by stepping up in the pocket to buy an extra second, and he feels pressure well, and knows how to extend the play with his feet; while keeping his eyes down-field. Also stands firm in the pocket, and shows that he'll take a pop for the team, while hitting his read down-field.

Doesn't appear to have a strong arm, but he has some touch, and all of his balls are very receiver friendly. For a walk-on, it's hard to complain about this pick-up!

Advertisement
Back