New NCAA Waiver Guidelines under Review

Advertisement
Advertisement
NCAA (probably): "These new guidelines will apply retroactively to any transfer after January 10, 2019 (the date Tate transferred), we will be revisiting all waivers granted after that time."
NCAA (probably): "These new guidelines will apply retroactively to any transfer after January 10, 2019 (the date Tate transferred), we will be revisiting all waivers granted after that time."
That would be a legal quagmire the NCAA would want no part of. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. The one thing to be sure is that things are going to be changing. The recent FBI investigations into college sports will serve a a lighting rod for lawyers to go after big money College programs and the NCAA. As much as everyone on this board loves college football, there are lawyers and judges that would love to blow up the system just because they can. Mark Emmert is the wrong man at the wrong time. While he has political support in Alabama, Georgia and North/South Carolina; He will have enemies in New York, Illinois, Massachsetts and California that will win at a federal legal level.

This is such bullsh!t. NCAA will only be making the process more opaque and subject to favoritism.

I'm probably in the minority in that I think the collegiate athletics model requires some level of amateurism, both for the benefit of the student-athlete and to allow for some level of fairness and parity between a wide range of schools/programs. I also believe that the value of an athletic scholarship and access to admissions and a university education has been vastly understated in this amateurism/shamateurism debate.

All of that being said, the restrictions the NCAA and certain schools and coaches are trying to place on kids who want to change schools are obnoxious. If a kid is not happy where they are at, it's generally best for everyone, including the institution of collegiate athletics as a whole, if they are allowed to go where they want to go, without having to hire a lawyer. Of course, there needs to be limits and penalties against schools and their employees against recruiting other school's players, etc, but this attempt to exert so much control over the lives of young student-athletes is just pathetic.

Advertisement
California is getting the NCAA up out of here anyway. Bunch of old men who were too stubborn to adopt to the times so now they will lose billions.

we got full great advantage of it at one of the worst time in the program history

we killed it when we really needed to kill it

did rescue the recruiting class
got great players
when we start winning and recruiting well as expected we will need minimal use of it

Advertisement
Advertisement
Which is why we shouldn't rely on the portal to restore the program. No matter how you slice it we're only coming back until we can recruit and develop our own prospects.

I don't think we ever planned to rely on The Portal but this should do absolutely nothing to deter us from continuing to pound it in the future. You still want to be THE transfer school for grad transfers like Osborn or former 5 star kids like Phillips that know they're going to sit a year. Exploit every avenue possible to get the best kids.

Manny going hard at The Portal this year proves he thinks that way and it not only staved off a potential recruiting disaster but very easily could've made us substantially better than even if we somehow had a monster recruiting class.

We only relied on the portal because we had a terrible recruiting class in December. Plus i don’t question the players we got tbh
Agreed, but I think he was referencing the clueless jackoffs that kept thinking that was going to be a thing from here on out. On this site and 247 there were certainly plenty of posters dumb enough to think so.

Advertisement
Back