New interview with CJ... sounds good....

Advertisement
Worton visiting this weekend? Check out his comments about Coley...

Worton goes in-depth on recruiting

The January contact period for Homestead (Fla.) South Dade wide receiver C.J. Worton has been a rather wild ride. The 6-foot-1, 175-pound prospect has seen a slew of new schools come into the picture, a couple of official visits, in-home visits and most recently a decommitment.

“It’s drained me mentally, physically, emotionally, but the past couple trips have been awesome though,” Worton told 247Sports Wednesday morning. “I had a great time going out to West Virginia, going up to Florida, getting to talk to all the coaches and having them coming into the school, coming to the house. It’s been really cool.”

Tuesday night Worton made news when he officially backed off his 18 month long pledge to Florida State.

“Things just started getting out of control,” Worton explained. “There was an incident on Twitter with Travis Rudolph where people took it the wrong way. I was visiting Florida and I was informed he was supposed to be coming up, so I hit him up on Twitter and asked if he was coming. I guess I was informed wrong and fans didn’t appreciate that very much. They took it the wrong way, I guess they thought I was trying to recruit him.

“It went the wrong way and that pretty much started it off. I started getting bad vibes, I never got an in-home. I just started feeling less appreciated. I never had an in-home with coach [Jimbo] Fisher and I knew he had been down a couple times to see some players around here. The other coaches never had in-homes and they went around and saw other players.

“It hurt a little bit, but I got over it. It’s time to grow up. I dealt with it and finally ended up making the decision.”

A night earlier, Florida head coach Will Muschamp conducted an in-home visit with Worton and his family a day after completing his official visit to Gainesville.

“He was just letting me know they want me real bad,” Worton said of his meeting with Muschamp. “They just feels their system had a down year. Their whole program had a lot of injuries, but they feel like it’s their time. They’ve been real good defensively and on special teams each year coach Muschamp has been there, they have a real good reputation, so they are telling me they need to get better offensively. That’s why they brought in coach Roper from Duke.

“He says as soon as he got to Florida, they started going down their board and I was the first person they wanted. That was real cool to see how much they wanted me. They watched my film for about two minutes and they called me back saying they want me real bad and coach Roper had a big part of it.

“Their DB’s, they have some real good DB’s. Quincy Wilson, Vernon Hargreaves, Jalen Tabor, they got some real good DB’s, so being able to go against them every day it will be a competition. Ultimately that what you have to do, work against the best and Vernon Hargreaves being one of the best corners in it, going against him every day will benefit me.

“That was pretty much their message to me. Every day you get in you are going to get work.”

With one weekend left before National Signing Day and after the recent decommitment, the hometown Miami Hurricanes are trying to lure Worton on campus for his final official visit.

“Well, I really haven’t had much contact with them, until recently I started talking to coach [James] Coley again,” Worton said of the Miami offensive coordinator. “He’s the one that originally recruited me to Florida State, so I always had a real good relationship with him. He just asked me how everything is going, I guess he heard I decommitted.

“He’s always wanted to coach me and he said wherever he was, that’s where he wanted me to go there...He’s very trust worthy, I trust him a lot. I know he will take care of me wherever I go and I know he wants to run his office through me.”

Will the Hurricanes be able to land the final official visit this weekend?

“It’s likely just because I feel I owe it to coach Coley to see him and my dad has always been a huge ‘Canes fan, that’s his school. I think it would be cool to try to get him to go if I end up do going. I feel like that would be really cool for him to get up there and see the coaches and see the facilities.

“Since it’s so close, it’s an easy trip. I’m tired of all these plane flights and everything.”

Worton admits to struggling with this decision, especially as signing day is starting to close in. The talented receiver says he has changed his mind multiple times in recent weeks.

“There are different places in the back of my head. I’ll wake up one day and I’m like, ‘oh yeah, this is the right school for me.’ Then I’ll be thinking about it all day and then be like, ‘maybe not.’ Then I’ll think about it again and change my mind, I’m constantly changing my mind.”

Which schools pop into his head as likely destinations?

“West Virginia of course because if you look at everything coach [Dana] Holgorsen has done with receivers. That’s just amazing, his resume is awesome. Some of the players he’s coached are some of the biggest players in football, especially like slot type players like Wes Welker and Danny Amedola, who I can see myself kind of like – good route runners and good hands. He was able to make them very successful. His resumes speaks for itself and that’s why any receiver should think about West Virginia.

“Also Florida with the new system coming in. I felt they did a real good job. Coach Roper, I think he did a real good job at Duke. I feel they desperately need me and they told me they need to get better on offense. I feel they will be able to take more chances. I think the offense can be really good next year, but it’s also very risky taking that chance. You never know how it’s going to end up turning out being their first year and everything.

“UM comes into the back of my head because of my dad and a lot of my family talk about UM all the time. Oregon comes into my head because growing up I always loved Oregon. That was pretty much my dream school.”

Worton plans to make his final decision early next week and wants to make that decision with little to no fanfare.

“By Monday, I want to have called the coaches and told them that’s the school I’m attending. I won’t release it through social media or anything like that...Then come signing day, sign the papers and be done with the whole process.”

As a senior, Worton caught 42 passes for 1,052 yards to lead Miami-Dade County. He capped off the season with an impressive six catches for 159 yards and three touchdown in the Florida High School Athletic Association 8A State finals.

The 247Sports Composite, an industry generated average, ranks Worton as the nation’s No. 75 wide receiver and the No. 80 player in the state of Florida for the 2014 class.

Don't get me wrong, I like CJ as a prospect. And I mean no disrespect to the kid in saying this. But man, I guess it just shows how far we have fallen behind FSU since we are getting this excited about possibly getting a WR that they had to squeeze out of their class.

And I still don't understand why we won't extend an offer to Isiah McKenzie at this point...

Don't get me wrong, I like CJ as a prospect. And I mean no disrespect to the kid in saying this. But man, I guess it just shows how far we have fallen behind FSU since we are getting this excited about possibly getting a WR that they had to squeeze out of their class.

And I still don't understand why we won't extend an offer to Isiah McKenzie at this point...

Well the coaches obviously feel they like CJ better if they offer him over McKenzie. They passed on Ford too.

Advertisement
too me it seems, he really doesn't want to come here, but is doing it to please coley and his people. i dont think we will land him

going 9-4 while FSU went undefeated with the title and Heisman winner may have something to do with it...it's all a cycle and its FSU's time right now unfortunately.

With that said, we know what happened when FSU was in top in late 90's and what happened with Miami thereafter :)

Advertisement
Reminds me of the kid, out of Gulliver Prep I think, that graduated from Duke last year setting the all time ACC record for receiving. Doesn't sound like UM is in the top two as of now, but if he visits it sounds like things could change.

Reminds me of the kid, out of Gulliver Prep I think, that graduated from Duke last year setting the all time ACC record for receiving. Doesn't sound like UM is in the top two as of now, but if he visits it sounds like things could change.

I just found out Conner Vernon was from Miami, he was beast. true sleeper

Advertisement
Whether we get this kid or not, I love the way he has handled it. No whining, no *****ing, no drama, I mean he was pushed out by a school he was committed to for over a year, 2 weeks before signing day, and handled it like a man. I wish all these kids would do it this way, **** he doesn't even want the fans or media to know just sign the papers and show up to play ball. Good Luck to ya kid!!!

why? Because they're both white? Duke kid was like 5'8

“Well, I really haven’t had much contact with them, until recently I started talking to coach [James] Coley again,” Worton said of the Miami offensive coordinator. “He’s the one that originally recruited me to Florida State, so I always had a real good relationship with him. He just asked me how everything is going, I guess he heard I decommitted.

“He’s always wanted to coach me and he said wherever he was, that’s where he wanted me to go there...He’s very trust worthy, I trust him a lot. I know he will take care of me wherever I go and I know he wants to run his office through me.”

Just a guess that the writer didn't translate that quote perfectly

Advertisement
Worton visiting this weekend? Check out his comments about Coley...

Worton goes in-depth on recruiting

The January contact period for Homestead (Fla.) South Dade wide receiver C.J. Worton has been a rather wild ride. The 6-foot-1, 175-pound prospect has seen a slew of new schools come into the picture, a couple of official visits, in-home visits and most recently a decommitment.

“It’s drained me mentally, physically, emotionally, but the past couple trips have been awesome though,” Worton told 247Sports Wednesday morning. “I had a great time going out to West Virginia, going up to Florida, getting to talk to all the coaches and having them coming into the school, coming to the house. It’s been really cool.”

Tuesday night Worton made news when he officially backed off his 18 month long pledge to Florida State.

“Things just started getting out of control,” Worton explained. “There was an incident on Twitter with Travis Rudolph where people took it the wrong way. I was visiting Florida and I was informed he was supposed to be coming up, so I hit him up on Twitter and asked if he was coming. I guess I was informed wrong and fans didn’t appreciate that very much. They took it the wrong way, I guess they thought I was trying to recruit him.

It went the wrong way and that pretty much started it off. I started getting bad vibes, I never got an in-home. I just started feeling less appreciated. I never had an in-home with coach [Jimbo] Fisher and I knew he had been down a couple times to see some players around here. The other coaches never had in-homes and they went around and saw other players.

“It hurt a little bit, but I got over it. It’s time to grow up. I dealt with it and finally ended up making the decision.”

A night earlier, Florida head coach Will Muschamp conducted an in-home visit with Worton and his family a day after completing his official visit to Gainesville.

“He was just letting me know they want me real bad,” Worton said of his meeting with Muschamp. “They just feels their system had a down year. Their whole program had a lot of injuries, but they feel like it’s their time. They’ve been real good defensively and on special teams each year coach Muschamp has been there, they have a real good reputation, so they are telling me they need to get better offensively. That’s why they brought in coach Roper from Duke.

“He says as soon as he got to Florida, they started going down their board and I was the first person they wanted. That was real cool to see how much they wanted me. They watched my film for about two minutes and they called me back saying they want me real bad and coach Roper had a big part of it.

“Their DB’s, they have some real good DB’s. Quincy Wilson, Vernon Hargreaves, Jalen Tabor, they got some real good DB’s, so being able to go against them every day it will be a competition. Ultimately that what you have to do, work against the best and Vernon Hargreaves being one of the best corners in it, going against him every day will benefit me.

“That was pretty much their message to me. Every day you get in you are going to get work.”

With one weekend left before National Signing Day and after the recent decommitment, the hometown Miami Hurricanes are trying to lure Worton on campus for his final official visit.

Will the Hurricanes be able to land the final official visit this weekend?

“It’s likely just because I feel I owe it to coach Coley to see him and my dad has always been a huge ‘Canes fan, that’s his school. I think it would be cool to try to get him to go if I end up do going. I feel like that would be really cool for him to get up there and see the coaches and see the facilities.

“Since it’s so close, it’s an easy trip. I’m tired of all these plane flights and everything.”

Worton admits to struggling with this decision, especially as signing day is starting to close in. The talented receiver says he has changed his mind multiple times in recent weeks.

“There are different places in the back of my head. I’ll wake up one day and I’m like, ‘oh yeah, this is the right school for me.’ Then I’ll be thinking about it all day and then be like, ‘maybe not.’ Then I’ll think about it again and change my mind, I’m constantly changing my mind.”

Which schools pop into his head as likely destinations?

“West Virginia of course because if you look at everything coach [Dana] Holgorsen has done with receivers. That’s just amazing, his resume is awesome. Some of the players he’s coached are some of the biggest players in football, especially like slot type players like Wes Welker and Danny Amedola, who I can see myself kind of like – good route runners and good hands. He was able to make them very successful. His resumes speaks for itself and that’s why any receiver should think about West Virginia.

“Also Florida with the new system coming in. I felt they did a real good job. Coach Roper, I think he did a real good job at Duke. I feel they desperately need me and they told me they need to get better on offense. I feel they will be able to take more chances. I think the offense can be really good next year, but it’s also very risky taking that chance. You never know how it’s going to end up turning out being their first year and everything.

“UM comes into the back of my head because of my dad and a lot of my family talk about UM all the time. Oregon comes into my head because growing up I always loved Oregon. That was pretty much my dream school.”

Worton plans to make his final decision early next week and wants to make that decision with little to no fanfare.

“By Monday, I want to have called the coaches and told them that’s the school I’m attending. I won’t release it through social media or anything like that...Then come signing day, sign the papers and be done with the whole process.”

As a senior, Worton caught 42 passes for 1,052 yards to lead Miami-Dade County. He capped off the season with an impressive six catches for 159 yards and three touchdown in the Florida High School Athletic Association 8A State finals.

The 247Sports Composite, an industry generated average, ranks Worton as the nation’s No. 75 wide receiver and the No. 80 player in the state of Florida for the 2014 class.

So this is how you do you committed prospects? Jimbo dirty as ****. smh

why? Because they're both white? Duke kid was like 5'8

Same height as Warton. Just over 6'0". That's per the NFL combine, but I'd hate to confuse you with a fact. Has nothing to do with his skin color. Build/speed/hands/route running are similar. Who cares about what a kids skin color is??? Oh yeah, looks like you do.

Advertisement
Back