New Dorms

You believe he didn't pick Miami because of our dorms?
View attachment 82454View attachment 82456View attachment 82457

For those of you that don't know. The one on the left is a UF dorm, the middle one is FSU, and the in the right is UM. For reference FSU is ranked as the #10 dorms in the country.

Now are FSU dorms better, obviously.
Do the Miami dorms need to be improved, OBVIOUSLY.
Should Miami spend money to improve their dorms, of course.
Is the difference between Miami dorms and FSU dorms huge, no.
Would someone pick FSU for football based solely or in large part because of the dorms, no
But most importantly, are no restaurants and shops the reason the dorms at Miami suck, NO

All I've been trying to say is stop believing the crap these recruits are saying. Miami dorms suck, but so do the majority of dorms, but they are not even in the top 10 of reasons a recruit won't come here. Of course they should be improved, but the restaurants and shops are stupid for football players. They get free food that is 10x better and more personalized than the average restaurant.
I don't know .... that FSU dorm looks like a **** hospital room .... ugh!

Advertisement
What a waste of money, putting restaurants and shops in the dorms. No wonder they can justify the price of tuition going up every year to obsurdly new heights, ...no wonder I will be paying my student loans until I'm 40.

All those student loans, and you still can’t spell. Try to get your money back.

Advertisement
If you go to - for example - USC...they have a ton of on-campus amenities. There is a **** Trader Joes on the bottom floor of residential halls as well as a Walgreens. They've got restaurants, coffee shops, dessert spots, a big communal space in the middle. This is before you get to their incredibly beautiful campus with modern upgrades pretty much everywhere.

I've always compared Miami to USC as an educational institution. Urban setting private school in an incredibly diverse, fun city with a lot to do...but, the modern urban campus should have living quarters packed with some essentials...place to shop for food, pick up lunch, etc. You want to make the campus itself as self-contained as possible...let students be recreational outside of campus, not leaving campus to stock up on food or just to get a coffee. Miami is doing their part in upgrading...its a great thing...and its a great selling point to prospective students.

I'm driving past or wandering through UM pretty regularly...campus looks better today than it did when I was there. It'll take more time, but the campus is starting to really look more like a school like USC...slowly, but surely.

If you go to - for example - USC...they have a ton of on-campus amenities. There is a **** Trader Joes on the bottom floor of residential halls as well as a Walgreens. They've got restaurants, coffee shops, dessert spots, a big communal space in the middle. This is before you get to their incredibly beautiful campus with modern upgrades pretty much everywhere.

I've always compared Miami to USC as an educational institution. Urban setting private school in an incredibly diverse, fun city with a lot to do...but, the modern urban campus should have living quarters packed with some essentials...place to shop for food, pick up lunch, etc. You want to make the campus itself as self-contained as possible...let students be recreational outside of campus, not leaving campus to stock up on food or just to get a coffee. Miami is doing their part in upgrading...its a great thing...and its a great selling point to prospective students.

I'm driving past or wandering through UM pretty regularly...campus looks better today than it did when I was there. It'll take more time, but the campus is starting to really look more like a school like USC...slowly, but surely.

Yes. And let's not forget, USC is (historically) near some fairly rough parts of LA. I visited the campus in the early 90s. I'm sure that with gentrification and rising real estate prices, it might not be as bad as it once was. But both LA and Miami are not the easiest places for an 18 year old with a car who is not from the area to just go out driving. It's nice to have a ton of stuff to keep you on campus, whether you are a freshman or in law school, trust me. Even when I lived off-campus in grad school and law school, I lived as close as possible, including the Red Roofs and Ludlam Point.

So much stupidity in this thread.

The dorm improvements were LONG overdue. Outside of University Village (at the perimeter of campus), the NEWEST dorms on the central campus were built in the early 1970s.

The pictures of dorm rooms...what a joke. A room is a room is a room. They all have 2 beds, 2 dressers, and a closet. The real issues involve first-floor amenities, computer rooms/study areas/lounges, the overall AC/cable/WiFi setup, elevators, etc. Sure, each dorm can have a few extra things (rooftop tanning?), but I'll tell you something very simple, UF and F$U do not cluster their dorms around the stunning views of Lake Osceola. I lived in Eaton for 3 years, and every day I would pull up my blinds and look out at a beautiful lake, impressive trees, and very attractive female classmates walking to the Student Union.

Retail and dining pays for itself. End of story.

As for the "using my stipend to live off campus", that poster has no idea how expensive it has become to live in Gables/Grove/South Miami, nor the cost and time of commuting from West Kendall. Even if it is slightly less expensive to live on campus, it is worthwhile just to avoid traffic and parking and hauling textbooks in 90 degree weather from the commuter lots or garages.

The concept that students, generally, or football recruits, specifically, don't take dorms into account is just insane. They do. It may not be Criterion #1, but it is very important. Recruits will look at the athletic facilities, the dorms, the food sports, and the classrooms, and probably in that particular order. That's where they will be spending years of their lives.

This is why a recruit can visit, say, UCF, and come to the misguided conclusion that there is "not that much difference" between UM and UCF. Because UCF has spent so much RECENT money on the dorms and classrooms, then it is easier to overlook UM's 40-year history of putting players in the NFL.

A98AE889-3934-4018-830A-99CAE0444FDF.gif

I’m sure they are, but as soon as the first semester is over most move out
7th floor crew says that this post is bullsht.
Just look for rent prices around the grove south miami and coral gables. Unless mom and dad are helping out, the dorms is where you want to be.

Advertisement
Hey, we have the govt giving out student loans to 18 year olds like candy... lets build a Taj Mahal on campus... and be enslaved for life.... you can't bankruptcy your way out..

.... yep, as long as it helps get a couple of prima donnas to sign on... and who will most likely hit the portal after year 2.

lol. You know very little about the school if you're making a comment like this.

Most Miami students arent taking out major student loans. Lots of rich kids or kids on scholarships in reality. If you're relying on loans you're gonna go to UF or somewhere cheaper

7th floor crew says that this post is bullsht.
Just look for rent prices around the grove south miami and coral gables. Unless mom and dad are helping out, the dorms is where you want to be.

That may have been the case back in the day, but in the 2010-2014 time frame TONS of players were living in Red Road, Valencia, merrick, etc.

Also, their are parts of the grove and south Miami that have really cheap houses/apartments.

That may have been the case back in the day, but in the 2010-2014 time frame TONS of players were living in Red Road, Valencia, merrick, etc.

Also, their are parts of the grove and south Miami that have really cheap houses/apartments.

Nobody is saying that most of the upperclassmen don't choose to move off campus and share rent in groups of 4 to 6. That has been happening since the 1980s.

But it is also inaccurate to state that more than 50% of each freshman class moves off campus in January. That's just not true.

Little known fact, the athletes (particularly when then lived in the Apartments area) got longer beds and more furniture than other students. Small things.

But with the new dorms and turning the campus into a mini-city, the athletes will have better options to choose from for their living situations.

This is facts. Hella players live in Red Road. I know where JT4 lives and it let’s just say it’s a good thing football starts before rush hour or it’d take him 30 mins to get to campus.

The UV monthly rates are slightly under rates for a nice one bedroom at Gables Ponce, Modera, etc. Once they’re done with Mahoney-Pearson, many players gtfo of campus.

That being said, the dorms are still most definitely a factor in recruiting.

Advertisement
This is facts. Hella players live in Red Road. I know where JT4 lives and it let’s just say it’s a good thing football starts before rush hour or it’d take him 30 mins to get to campus.

The UV monthly rates are slightly under rates for a nice one bedroom at Gables Ponce, Modera, etc. Once they’re done with Mahoney-Pearson, many players gtfo of campus.

That being said, the dorms are still most definitely a factor in recruiting.

Great point. Definetly a selling point. I was just pointing out that tons of players move off campus.

Nobody is saying that most of the upperclassmen don't choose to move off campus and share rent in groups of 4 to 6. That has been happening since the 1980s.

But it is also inaccurate to state that more than 50% of each freshman class moves off campus in January. That's just not true.

Little known fact, the athletes (particularly when then lived in the Apartments area) got longer beds and more furniture than other students. Small things.

But with the new dorms and turning the campus into a mini-city, the athletes will have better options to choose from for their living situations.

I never said 50% of each freshman class move off campus. The poster I was responding too does seem to think most upper classmen do live on campus.

Advertisement
Looks like it's time for you to hit the Portal, dude. I've heard UCF 4 year undergrad in-state tuition is less than $25K...make that move...Lulz
I'm confused, did someone force him to go to a school with high tuition? People make ****** decisions and then they are ****ed at the schools. Besides 3 years in the sandbox, I paid nothing for my education.

I'm confused, did someone force him to go to a school with high tuition? People make ****** decisions and then they are ****ed at the schools. Besides 3 years in the sandbox, I paid nothing for my education.
Exactly...I got Uncle Sam to pay for a whopping $200k my second time through university. We all makes choices in life

If they put in restaurants, they will generate income, especially if they allow chains to come in and lease the space. It's the same concept as what they're doing all over the country, building restaurants with apartments or condos and shopping in one area, so it's self-contained.
Two birds a one stone📌

Advertisement
Back