New Dorms

What a waste of money, putting restaurants and shops in the dorms. No wonder they can justify the price of tuition going up every year to obsurdly new heights, for crap like this. It's what happens when you call yourself a "non-profit" and have so much money you don't know what else to do with it. It's no wonder I will be paying my student loans until I'm 40.

All the private schools are going up at similar rates to Miami.

Advertisement
Lol.

Room & Board r definitely a selling point to a young kid. It’s time to stop living in the past and stop thinking 18 yr olds today are of the same mindset of 18 yr olds of yesterday.

Facilities r becoming more & more important than ever before. There’s a reason why winning programs r not sitting on their laurels & are steadily improving their overall facilities. The dorms were outdated. Anyone complaining about the school FINALLY investing in itself should take a nap.

What a waste of money, putting restaurants and shops in the dorms. No wonder they can justify the price of tuition going up every year to obsurdly new heights, for crap like this. It's what happens when you call yourself a "non-profit" and have so much money you don't know what else to do with it. It's no wonder I will be paying my student loans until I'm 40.

Actually universities make money off restaurants. These are typically outsourced to a firm like Aramark and the schools get revenue sharing. So your argument is moot.

There's no way you're a UM student if you believe this.

Funding for the dorms has zero to do with tuition. They add $0 to tuition (tuition obviously does go up, but that's due to costs on the academic side).

The funding for the dorms is built into the cost of on-campus housing. I'd expect that to increase alot as these dorms are built, but obviously you dont have to live on-campus if you dont want to

Advertisement
If it helps bring in more recruits we don’t care about it making your tuition go up 😅

so a dining hall and a convenience shop to get snacks etc isn't appropriate for a dorm complex?????????? "Restaurant" = LIME , on campus now. They aren't building Merrick Park 2 on campus. Another choice or two for casual eating that accepts a student's Cane card is absolutely a plus for ALL the students. If you are really a student right now you know the biggest complaint from kids is the dorms and especially the food.

Last edited:
so a dining hall and a convenience shop to get snacks etc isn't appropriate for a dorm complex?????????? "Restaurant" = LIME , on campus now. They aren't building Merrick Park 2 on campus. Another choice or two for casual eating that accepts a student's Cane card is absolutely a plus for ALL the students. If you are really a student right now you know the biggest complaint from kids is the dorms and especially the food.

Yeah, ****** dorms and terrible dining hall food have to be the top complaint if you polled students.

So many kids move off-campus after frosh year that would stay if the options were better. The popularity of University Village basically proved this already

If they put in restaurants, they will generate income, especially if they allow chains to come in and lease the space. It's the same concept as what they're doing all over the country, building restaurants with apartments or condos and shopping in one area, so it's self-contained.

Advertisement
You realize the shops and restaurants make money for the school right? So it might actually help reduce tuition increases.

Hey, we have the govt giving out student loans to 18 year olds like candy... lets build a Taj Mahal on campus... and be enslaved for life.... you can't bankruptcy your way out..

.... yep, as long as it helps get a couple of prima donnas to sign on... and who will most likely hit the portal after year 2.

Advertisement
This.

Let's knock down the IPF too. Total waste of space and resources.
Perfectly good grass to practice outside.
I mean why stop there? Clear out the weight room and put in basic weights. Works in the penitentiary. Those dudes are huge. I mean bama wastes sooooo much money. It didn’t help them recruit at all. Wasn’t bama one of the first to install an ipf. What was he thinking!! What a moron that guy is.

Advertisement
I don’t buy the dorm thing. I’m sure it can be a selling point and a negative recruiting tool, but most kids use their stipend checks to live off campus as soon as possible. These things are used as excuses for losing out on talent. If you’re choosing one school over the other bc you have an extra 100 sq foot and a bigger fridge you aren’t a great decision maker

I'm pretty sure all incoming freshman on the football team are required to live at least the first semester during the football season in Pearson-Mahoney.

What? No concierge services at the new dorms? Agreed, the dorms needed updating, but you can upgrade the rooms without fluff restaurants and Jimmy Choo outlets for the trust fund students. It's not practical and a giant waste of space that could be used for something far more useful.

So much stupidity in this thread.

The dorm improvements were LONG overdue. Outside of University Village (at the perimeter of campus), the NEWEST dorms on the central campus were built in the early 1970s.

The pictures of dorm rooms...what a joke. A room is a room is a room. They all have 2 beds, 2 dressers, and a closet. The real issues involve first-floor amenities, computer rooms/study areas/lounges, the overall AC/cable/WiFi setup, elevators, etc. Sure, each dorm can have a few extra things (rooftop tanning?), but I'll tell you something very simple, UF and F$U do not cluster their dorms around the stunning views of Lake Osceola. I lived in Eaton for 3 years, and every day I would pull up my blinds and look out at a beautiful lake, impressive trees, and very attractive female classmates walking to the Student Union.

Retail and dining pays for itself. End of story.

As for the "using my stipend to live off campus", that poster has no idea how expensive it has become to live in Gables/Grove/South Miami, nor the cost and time of commuting from West Kendall. Even if it is slightly less expensive to live on campus, it is worthwhile just to avoid traffic and parking and hauling textbooks in 90 degree weather from the commuter lots or garages.

The concept that students, generally, or football recruits, specifically, don't take dorms into account is just insane. They do. It may not be Criterion #1, but it is very important. Recruits will look at the athletic facilities, the dorms, the food sports, and the classrooms, and probably in that particular order. That's where they will be spending years of their lives.

This is why a recruit can visit, say, UCF, and come to the misguided conclusion that there is "not that much difference" between UM and UCF. Because UCF has spent so much RECENT money on the dorms and classrooms, then it is easier to overlook UM's 40-year history of putting players in the NFL.

Putting restaurants and shops in the dorms likely MAKES money for the school, and helps pay for the dorms. They are businesses. You think they are there to lose money?

Advertisement
Back