New Dorms

What that article failed to mention is that Coach McEltooth’s #1 demand was for a large shark carcass in his hotel room for every away game to help with the loneliness of travel. Naturally the turds obliged.

Advertisement
If you go to - for example - USC...they have a ton of on-campus amenities. There is a **** Trader Joes on the bottom floor of residential halls as well as a Walgreens. They've got restaurants, coffee shops, dessert spots, a big communal space in the middle. This is before you get to their incredibly beautiful campus with modern upgrades pretty much everywhere.

I've always compared Miami to USC as an educational institution. Urban setting private school in an incredibly diverse, fun city with a lot to do...but, the modern urban campus should have living quarters packed with some essentials...place to shop for food, pick up lunch, etc. You want to make the campus itself as self-contained as possible...let students be recreational outside of campus, not leaving campus to stock up on food or just to get a coffee. Miami is doing their part in upgrading...its a great thing...and its a great selling point to prospective students.

I'm driving past or wandering through UM pretty regularly...campus looks better today than it did when I was there. It'll take more time, but the campus is starting to really look more like a school like USC...slowly, but surely.

Wish I could upvote this 100x. I’m so glad u brought up USC, b/c that’s exactly how their campus is set up.

Got it. I believe he was using hyperbole.

Fair enough. Lots of athletes (not just football players) spend 2 years on campus, and then find off-campus apartments or houses to share. I used to tutor for the Athletic Department in the late 80s/early 90s, and I met many of the athletes in their apartments across from Eaton. Some of them would rather not deal with budgeting for rent, utilities, and food. You stay on-campus, everything is taken care of.

We just have to think about it another way. When the athletes come on their visit, we don't take them on a tour of off-campus apartments. We show them amazing on-campus facilities, even if they only stay there for a year or two. First impressions count. On their visits, they need to be able to compare apples to apples. It's the same way with evaluating a position coach, there is no guarantee that person will be there for the next 5 years. We just have to do the best we can to compete with the other top programs.

Fair enough. Lots of athletes (not just football players) spend 2 years on campus, and then find off-campus apartments or houses to share. I used to tutor for the Athletic Department in the late 80s/early 90s, and I met many of the athletes in their apartments across from Eaton. Some of them would rather not deal with budgeting for rent, utilities, and food. You stay on-campus, everything is taken care of.

We just have to think about it another way. When the athletes come on their visit, we don't take them on a tour of off-campus apartments. We show them amazing on-campus facilities, even if they only stay there for a year or two. First impressions count. On their visits, they need to be able to compare apples to apples. It's the same way with evaluating a position coach, there is no guarantee that person will be there for the next 5 years. We just have to do the best we can to compete with the other top programs.

I completely agree this is a great selling point and is going to help a lot. I was just pointing out that tons of players live off campus. It had nothing to do with the dorms helping recruiting. I feel like there are a lot of people confused because of the 7th floor crew stuff. They think all of the players live on campus and all the top guys live on the same floor together. I just wanted to shut down that myth and tell people the real, current, living situation.

Advertisement
So much stupidity in this thread.

The dorm improvements were LONG overdue. Outside of University Village (at the perimeter of campus), the NEWEST dorms on the central campus were built in the early 1970s.

The pictures of dorm rooms...what a joke. A room is a room is a room. They all have 2 beds, 2 dressers, and a closet. The real issues involve first-floor amenities, computer rooms/study areas/lounges, the overall AC/cable/WiFi setup, elevators, etc. Sure, each dorm can have a few extra things (rooftop tanning?), but I'll tell you something very simple, UF and F$U do not cluster their dorms around the stunning views of Lake Osceola. I lived in Eaton for 3 years, and every day I would pull up my blinds and look out at a beautiful lake, impressive trees, and very attractive female classmates walking to the Student Union.

Retail and dining pays for itself. End of story.

As for the "using my stipend to live off campus", that poster has no idea how expensive it has become to live in Gables/Grove/South Miami, nor the cost and time of commuting from West Kendall. Even if it is slightly less expensive to live on campus, it is worthwhile just to avoid traffic and parking and hauling textbooks in 90 degree weather from the commuter lots or garages.

The concept that students, generally, or football recruits, specifically, don't take dorms into account is just insane. They do. It may not be Criterion #1, but it is very important. Recruits will look at the athletic facilities, the dorms, the food sports, and the classrooms, and probably in that particular order. That's where they will be spending years of their lives.

This is why a recruit can visit, say, UCF, and come to the misguided conclusion that there is "not that much difference" between UM and UCF. Because UCF has spent so much RECENT money on the dorms and classrooms, then it is easier to overlook UM's 40-year history of putting players in the NFL.
Where's that guy who brought the hot tub into his dorm room? He brought his own amenity.

Where's that guy who brought the hot tub into his dorm room? He brought his own amenity.

That's a good point. However, let's not forget that a WCC school self-reported an NCAA violation involving a female golfer who received an extra benefit in the form of UNIVERSITY WATER (and the use of a hose) to wash her car, a blatant crime because the water (and hose) were not available to the other less-athletic students.

So I am concerned that any in-room hot tubs would be an NCAA-violation-trap, which would earn Miami the death penalty.

You can never be too careful.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...niversity-water-ncaa-violation-201607788.html

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back