New Depth Chart Out

On only a SELECT few rosters has there ever really been a first round player at every position, so using draft stock to decide a players value seems off base. I believe Ken Dorsey went in like the 6th round but I would take him any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

There are lots of players that have better than average college careers and do not translate to the pro game. Who is the safety that played next to Ed Reed when we won the NC in 01? I know it wasn't ST! What round was said player drafted? Was it Maxey or Sikes? **** I dont even know which one it was...lol I am pretty sure he was number 36 but I cant think of his name... Was a solid player just as Kacy is. He is solid, and he may even become a solid pro, who knows.

One thing I do know is this staff is getting the most out of him and if he ends up in a pro town that does the same he could be a player at the next level. Some guys actually translate well to the pro game even though they dont tear it up in college, and some the other way as well.

Two games in and I am giving the edge to AG over the porsters on here that think they are better at roster management.... But "Hey, thats just me" (in my best uncle SI voice)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Which was the best secondary?

2000:

Buchanon
Rumph
Myers
Fitzgerald
Reed
Blades
Lewis

2001:

Buchanon
Rumph
Fitzgerald
Reed
Lewis
Marshall

2002:

Jennings
Marshall
Rolle
Sharpe
Taylor
Sikes

2000:

Buchanon
Rumph
Myers
Fitzgerald
Reed
Blades
Lewis

2001:

Buchanon
Rumph
Fitzgerald
Reed
Lewis
Marshall

2002:

Jennings
Marshall
Rolle
Sharpe
Taylor
Sikes

None of the above.

The correct answer is the 1991 secondary:

Herb James
Ryan McNeil
Hurlie Brown
Darryl Williams
Charles Pharms
CJ Richardson
Dexter Seigler
Terris Harris

2001 and it isn't that close imo due to the experience factor.

Our pass defense was outstanding each of those years, but consider that in 2001, our pass efficiency defense was a mind-boggingly absurd 75.60. For some context, the next closest team in that category to win a BCS NC was 2011 Bama with an 83.69. And no other team during the BCS era has been below an 82. The average for the 'best' in most years has typically hovered around 90-95 for the most part.

Essentially, if you were an opposing QB facing Miami's secondary in 2001, you were going to have one of the worst games of your career.

I would have loved to see that '01 defense against some of these teams that put the ball in the air 100 times a game. Would have been hilarious to see them strike the fear of God in some of these coaches today.

Nobody has fielded a secondary (or defense) so talented since though, and likely never will.

Last edited:
Advertisement

2001 and it isn't that close imo due to the experience factor.

Our pass defense was outstanding each of those years, but consider that in 2001, our pass efficiency defense was a mind-boggingly absurd 75.60. For some context, the next closest team in that category to win a BCS NC was 2011 Bama with an 83.69. And no other team during the BCS era has been below an 82.

Essentially, if you were an opposing QB facing Miami's secondary in 2001, you were going to have one of the worst games of your career.

I would have loved to see that '01 defense against some of these teams that put the ball in the air 100 times a game. Would have been hilarious to see them strike the fear of God in some of these coaches.

A lot of that came from two of the best pass rushers we've ever had around here at their positions:

Mcdougle had something like 40+ QB hurries that year.
William Joseph has stuck around the NFL because he was basically a 3-4 SSDE playing DT (and well) for us.
Our LBs were excellent blitzers when we decided to blitz, too.

What a scary defense.

Advertisement
Back