Official New DB Coach, per Canesport (*Official, 2.21*)

why lazy? Mario interviewed a bunch of guys. He's giving Guidry his guy. Do you think he'd do that if he found someone he liked better that was interesed in the job?

And who know, maybe there will be another guy brought in as an analyst... or GA
I just think it’s a B/B+ hire is all. Addae leaving created an opportunity for us to really level up at the spot. He’s a low ceiling/high floor addition that I’m sure will be solid. Just not seeing the upside

Advertisement
Idk, haven’t heard of him before today. That’s why I was saying I don’t really care about the name. If he can recruit & coach I’m good. But we have posters in the know on here who can verify if he is or not.
Yea I'm hoping this guy is the real deal because Florida is loaded with DBs for 2025 class and we need a ton. Plus we need to develop these guys

I just think it’s a B/B+ hire is all. Addae leaving created an opportunity for us to really level up at the spot. He’s a low ceiling/high floor addition that I’m sure will be solid. Just not seeing the upside
I like that he is younger. Won a natty with LSU in 2007 and has NFL experience. Just wish more information out there on players he worked with other or recruited.

Advertisement
This. Addae was supposed to change our DB room to one of the best in the country. Instead it's still one of question mark spots. Miss me with the big hire just get the right guy who can coach our boys up to be the best they can be.
Agreed, solid DB coach, that can coach and recruit to the DC Philosophy is what you want. The familiarity with Guidry is a plus, more important than big name hire fitting his coaching style to the DC schemes. Technique is important, but across the board it’s all similar. Coaching kids to play to the scheme and philosophy of Guidry is all about getting everyone on the same page as a unit. We have seen guys give up their assignments to “ make a play”, and get their as**s burned. Don’t want to take the opportunity to make big plays, but playing in your assignments sets up the opportunity. Guidry is good with him, I’m on board🙌🏽#CANESNATIONLIFER.

Advertisement
"level up at the spot"

I get Addae has his problems, but do you think we were going to level up from someone who just got hired on as the DB coach for one of the best NFL teams in the league?

don't let your guys' blind hatred for Addae get in the way of reality that he knows what he's doing

Not hard enough, apparently.
Maybe just maybe he is happy at FSU, well compensated and wants to stay there for now. I'm not sure how some of you think Mario should just be able to tell someone to come coach here. He can't pay him so much that it exceeds the salary structure of the rest of the staff. Then he will have to give significant raises to everyone to offset it. So then is Surtain worth that much extra money?

Maybe just maybe he is happy at FSU, well compensated and wants to stay there for now. I'm not sure how some of you think Mario should just be able to tell someone to come coach here. He can't pay him so much that it exceeds the salary structure of the rest of the staff. Then he will have to give significant raises to everyone to offset it. So then is Surtain worth that much extra money?

Yes.

Advertisement
I feel like Surtain just doesn't fw The Canes.

Idk. Seems like he just doesn't care for the program for whatever reason.
I would imagine the day-to-day grind (meetings, film study, recruiting, etc.) expectation at FSU under Norvell is different (lower) than at Miami under Mario.

Takes a particular type of person to sign up to solely focus his energy and time to football. Saban isn't for everyone (players and coaches), and I'm sure Mario is the same way.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back