New commit

Advertisement
Actually not. People overrate arm strength, especially in an era where the windows are larger in college than they've ever been before, thanks to the targeting rules. Give me a guy with solid arm strength, that can throw with anticipation and is accurate and I'll show you a guy that will do well in any offense. Being able to throw it through a brick wall doesn't matter if it isn't accurate, or if you can't process the game between the ears.

Do I have this guy as a future starter at Miami? No, but he could develop into the kind of backup that teams love to have. A guy that if developed correctly can step in at any moment and keep things moving. The days of stacking multiple high end QBs are over, because few high end guys are willing to sit and wait. You need to be able to develop solid backups. If you can get a solid guy as a PWO and he develops into a guy that is worth a scholarship 2 years from now, it's worth the risk.
Georgia starting qb had less offers out of high school than this kid

Georgia starting qb had less offers out of high school than this kid
This is facts. Although I coached against him when he was in high school (a late game fumble while he was scrambling basically saved us), you could tell he was a player. But he didn’t have any big offers coming out. You know deep down if he was 2-3 inches taller, a little heavier, and a little more arm strength, it would have been different.

This is facts. Although I coached against him when he was in high school (a late game fumble while he was scrambling basically saved us), you could tell he was a player. But he didn’t have any big offers coming out. You know deep down if he was 2-3 inches taller, a little heavier, and a little more arm strength, it would have been different.
Maybe, Stetson is what happens when a guy is allowed to grow up and is surrounded by elite talent. He is a mature QB that doesn't have to go outside himself. Just don't make mistakes and put playmakers in position to make plays. Not complicated.

Maybe, Stetson is what happens when a guy is allowed to grow up and is surrounded by elite talent. He is a mature QB that doesn't have to go outside himself. Just don't make mistakes and put playmakers in position to make plays. Not complicated.
Yeah, except for the fact that they didn’t want him there. His first time @ UGA, they didn’t think that he was good enough to play for them. So he was buried at the bottom of the depth chart. He eventually left. The difference tho with SB and most kids was that most high school football players dream of being in the NFL, but his dream… was to be a QB @ UGA. That was it! He didn’t really care about going to the NFL. Sooo with a few smaller options on the table, he decided to came back. The next thing you know their is inconsistent QB play and injuries at the position allowing him to move up. When he got his chance… he wasn’t going to just let go. The coaches there was “smart” enough to leave him in. The rest is history.

Advertisement
May not be poor enough to get enough FA to cover Harvard(they don't give merit aid), but may have enough belief in himself to work into a scholarship a year or two down the line at Miami. Also keep in mind that UMiami does give merit aid, and odds are he probably is getting at least a 75% tuition ride, and if you combine that with government aid, you can swing it.

But they do meet 100% of need.

But they do meet 100% of need.
How they determine need is iffy, and as has been discussed ad nauseum, loans can be part of "Covering" that need, which is something he may want to avoid. Also keep in mind that depending on his parents income, they may be responsible for part of his tuition, it's a lower number, but they may be responsible. What happens if your family can't truly afford to pay what Harvard thinks they should pay?

If this guy is intelligent enough to get into Harvard, it's extremely likely he qualified for a ton of merit aid from Miami and if his family is working class(Which is plausible), government grants and the like may easily cover what merit aid doesn't cover. We also have diversity scholarships(The MLK award) that he would qualify for, another thing Harvard doesn't offer. He may also see it as a way for him to play high end college ball, not spend anything for the first couple of years and then work his way into a scholarship. Guess what Harvard DOESN'T offer? Athletic Scholarships.

Kid is putting his trust in this offense, psych eval stat.

In all seriousness, welcome aboard. Throws better than Brown and has some talent on the ground. Why he'd pass up Harvard unless it's due to expenses, I'll never know.

Is the arm strength good enough? That is ultimately the most relevant criteria.

I’ve said this before in my QB breakdowns, but among the top 10 QB attributes that you evaluate, “arm strength” is about number 8 on the list.

That being said, he’s a bit of an over strider, which can be fixed and will always improve the zip on the ball.

Last edited:
Advertisement
May not be poor enough to get enough FA to cover Harvard(they don't give merit aid), but may have enough belief in himself to work into a scholarship a year or two down the line at Miami. Also keep in mind that UMiami does give merit aid, and odds are he probably is getting at least a 75% tuition ride, and if you combine that with government aid, you can swing it.

As a proud Yale alum, I’m happy this kid isn’t going to harvard.

But he should.

And FYI, there are plenty of mechanisms for kids who are top recruits to get any FA they need.

And Harvard likely only offered a partial scholarship. Not sure how they operate specifically but FCS level they likely split em up like other programs.

And Harvard likely only offered a partial scholarship. Not sure how they operate specifically but FCS level they likely split em up like other programs.
Harvard, as is the case with the entire Ivy League does not offer athletic scholarships. Most Ivy League schools don't offer merit aid either, merely because it doesn't make financial sense, due to how selective they are. The entire student body would likely qualify for merit aid. Ivy League schools rely on stated student need to portion out student aid, and unless you are really, really poor, it's tough to get your full need met without loans and other stuff.
As a proud Yale alum, I’m happy this kid isn’t going to harvard.

But he should.

And FYI, there are plenty of mechanisms for kids who are top recruits to get any FA they need.
Why? I know that a lot of our fans think Miami is the academic equivalent of a Juco or something, but there are plenty of rational reasons why a young man would rather attend Miami than Harvard. Outside of name recognition, what is so incredibly special about Harvard, especially for a student athlete. This young man may want to play major college football, in a diverse atmosphere and doesn't want to pay for it. That would make Miami very enticing, and the gap in education isn't nearly as large as our fans think it is. Young people are getting hip to the game, if you are going to spend years somewhere, going somewhere for prestige isn't worth it if you are miserable the entire time. I wish this young man well, I have no doubt he will leverage the educational benefits of Miami to the fullest, while also being a credit to the program on the field and in the meeting rooms.

Advertisement
1:16

Lol they did homeboy dirty. I've never seen that on a highlight tape before

Filling the void left when Kaden Martin decided to do baseball only

His dad said in an interview last week he couldnt play football this year since he is on a baseball scholarship. Referenced a rule where anybody on a baseball scholarship would have to wait a year to play football. He claimed he would play next year, but maybe after baseball season he'll decide to focus on that

Advertisement
Kid is putting his trust in this offense, psych eval stat.

In all seriousness, welcome aboard. Throws better than Brown and has some talent on the ground. Why he'd pass up Harvard unless it's due to expenses, I'll never know.
Sometimes kids just wanna take that shot at playing big time football, just to see if they can compete at that level. All they’re looking for is a chance.

Sometimes kids just wanna take that shot at playing big time football, just to see if they can compete at that level. All they’re looking for is a chance.

Oh for sure.

Still, you're a Harvard grad. That means something anywhere in the world. Not a lot of universities can say that. It also opens doors that most people never even knew existed.

Oh for sure.

Still, you're a Harvard grad. That means something anywhere in the world. Not a lot of universities can say that. It also opens doors that most people never even knew existed.
I totally agree!

Good pocket presence, sees the field well, but I also really like his size. Definitely a big kid who could easily be 6’4”-6’5” and 220-230 in a year or two.

Advertisement
Back