New Commit - 2018 LS Clay James

Advertisement
Advertisement
Clay James (247 | offer | Rubio LS | hudl | Twitter) Preferred Walk-on
[PLAYER]1030[/PLAYER]

C4-it-FWIAE-y9S.jpg

Hurricanes Offer Long Snapper Walk-On Spot

Miami might have found its long snapper of the future.

Cocoa's Clay James picked up a preferred walk-on spot from the Hurricanes on Sunday after working out for special teams coordinator Todd Hartley.

"I got the offer I wanted," James said over the phone.

"What [Coach Hartley] basically told me is that they have a 2019 scholarship, and if I was a 2019 guy, I would have got a full ride, but he said that I can come in as a member of the 2018 class and be a preferred walk-on. So I would pay for the first semester and then when [current Miami long snapper Jordan Butler] graduates in December I would have his spot in January or later in the summer if he takes longer for some reason."

It might be asking a lot for James to pay some tuition up front, but the nation's No. 19 ranked long snapper per Rubio Long Snapping says that he is more than interested in the Hurricanes.

"Definitely," he said when asked if he's going to consider Miami moving forward. "As soon as we work out the financial situation there, I'm probably going to commit to Miami and be done with recruiting."

6/11/17 Offered preferred walk-on
7/13/14 Commits!

Miami Hurricanes add 2018 long snapper Clay James

Matt Porter
July 13, 2017

The Hurricanes’ special teams got a boost Thursday when 2018 recruit Clay James announced he will join the team.

UM offered him a preferred walk-on spot this week, according to 247Sports.

James (5-11, 215), from Cocoa High, reportedly had scholarship offers from Appalachian State, Army and Jacksonville. He is rated by Rubio Long Snapping as the No. 19 snapper in the country.

Miami’s returning long snapper is junior Jordan Butler. James told 247Sports that UM asked him to pay for the first semester of tuition, and the school would put him on scholarship after Butler’s expected graduation in December.

Committed�� pic.twitter.com/sB23RYHy8X
— Clay James (@ImClayJames) July 13, 2017

Last edited:
Advertisement
This kid's gonna work his *** off for us and become an asset for the team one day. Welcome to the U!

..."So I would pay for the first semester"...

Gotta love a kid who is willing to pay 32k to be a Hurricane.
Welcome to the []_[]!!

Advertisement
UM will help get a student loan -

Butch Davis would figure it out - the most creative coach for getting players on our team - and also the coach that the NCAA had to make up a bunch of additional rules to account for.

Matt Porter
July 13, 2017

The Hurricanes’ special teams got a boost Thursday when 2018 recruit Clay James announced he will join the team.

James (5-11, 215), from Cocoa High, reportedly had scholarship offers from Appalachian State, Army and Jacksonville. He is rated by Rubio Long Snapping as the No. 19 snapper in the country.

Miami’s returning long snapper is junior Jordan Butler. James told 247Sports that UM asked him to pay for the first semester of tuition, and the school would put him on scholarship after Butler’s expected graduation in December.

#19 rated Long Snapper? Didn't know they rated snappers. Wonder who are the top rated holders? What happened to the days when you used an offensive lineman?

Can never have too many good long snappers on the team.Never know when the short snapper might go all Steve Sax and start snapping the ball all crooked and s*it.

Advertisement

Matt Porter
July 13, 2017

#19 rated Long Snapper? Didn't know they rated snappers. Wonder who are the top rated holders? What happened to the days when you used an offensive lineman?

That was when OL weighed 260-280 with an occasional guy at 300. Now our OL's average like 315'lbs. Too ogre'ish to finesse a long snap.

Advertisement
Back