New Commit - 2018 LS Clay James

Most of you guys are probably too young to remember our season opener against UF in 1987. I think the final score was something like 31-4. The only points we gave up were on safeties from bad punt snaps by Willis Peguese. Willis was primarily a DE, but he had the snapping duties too. He made two terrible snaps that led to safeties, and that was the only scoring that day for the Gator.

e had a stifling defense that gave Kerwin Bell fits and shut down Emmit Smith. I think we might have sent Kerwin Bell to the hospital two years in a row so badly did we beat him up. Danny Stubbs, in particular, gave Bell fits.

I wish I could find a shorter video with just the scoring highlights. An odd game with an odd score, to say he least.

If you want to see old-time Miami defense that was stifling, you can sit back and enjoy this game.

[video=youtube;IrMGyTDTgIw]

Remember that. Willis Peguese (Southridge?) would have been a 4 or 5 star DE in todays recruiting world. Played well at UM but was not a difference maker. I don't remember him playing in the NFL. But that was amusing, in a game of complete dominance by UM over UF, UF's only points came on punt snap snafu's. They were not even close, both were probably ten feet over the punter.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back