2023 New ‘23 offer - OL Johnathan Cline

Here comes the …

“Well since Mirabal tweeted the bat signal so it has to be one of the other OL!!!”

Have fun ya’ll lol.
1656261363442.gif

Advertisement
Has good size for a guard, obviously a hard worker in the weight room. Shows a nasty demeanor and ability to finish blocks. Showed good athleticism in the open field tracking blocks. Good initial punch although you'd like to see his punch point more inside. Got his hands outside too much but even then he showed the wherewithal to get them back inside.

Loves how he keeps he feet moving on contact. Def has the feet of a guard more than a tackle. Like to see him play a little lower, got high at times and that cost him power at times (defenders could be short too). Could be a flexibility thing also with tight hips or ankles but that can be worked on. Pretty technically sound and it seems like he has received some good coaching. You can see that in his combo blocks and how he gets off to the LB.

People talk about needing immediate impact on some Freshman OL but those dudes are few and far between. Elite prospects and that has a lot to do with size and strength. Most kids going to need a year in a college strength room to actually have an impact on the oline.
Exactly, Zion is the perfect example. Everyone thought he was a 3 to 4 years project but after the first half of his freshman season he was pretty solid down the stretch and had a great sophomore year. We’ve had plenty of can’t miss OL that weren’t ready until year 3 or 4. OL is a crapshoot. Very few can’t miss OL are truly can’t miss and ready day 1

Yeah, that squat clip is horrible. He’s gonna pay for that round age 40. This kid apparently loves the weight room. Get him a college S&C coach like Feld, and his numbers will really take off.
Broke my back squatting 540 in college. At that weight it's really easy to go wrong. Like you said, started paying for it in my late 30's. Have to stop doing free weights all together by 45 after 4 spine surgeries. Price to pay for being stupid in youth.

Us and probably UCF. Has to make a decision soon soon because we feel good about other prospects.

Advertisement
Broke my back squatting 540 in college. At that weight it's really easy to go wrong. Like you said, started paying for it in my late 30's. Have to stop doing free weights all together by 45 after 4 spine surgeries. Price to pay for being stupid in youth.
Yep. I know from experience. Everyday, I pay for dumb **** I tried to lift from ages 17-20. Knees are about shot, now.

Here comes the …

“Well since Mirabal tweeted the bat signal so it has to be one of the other OL!!!”

Have fun ya’ll lol.

Exactly, Zion is the perfect example. Everyone thought he was a 3 to 4 years project but after the first half of his freshman season he was pretty solid down the stretch and had a great sophomore year. We’ve had plenty of can’t miss OL that weren’t ready until year 3 or 4. OL is a crapshoot. Very few can’t miss OL are truly can’t miss and ready day 1
You're not wrong but I wouldn't even use Zion as an example of what I mean. He was a straight project that in an ideal world he wouldn't have touched the 2 deep until his 3rd year. Everyone knew he was too small to be playing but that was how bad our Tackle room was.

Jalen Rivers is a recent example of someone who came in with the required measurables to play right away and was playing pretty good until he got hurt. Even there, in an ideal situation he wouldn't have played his first year either. I'm really big on giving OL a year to reshape their bodies and add strength, they are going against some (literal) grown men on the DL

You're not wrong but I wouldn't even use Zion as an example of what I mean. He was a straight project that in an ideal world he wouldn't have touched the 2 deep until his 3rd year. Everyone knew he was too small to be playing but that was how bad our Tackle room was.

Jalen Rivers is a recent example of someone who came in with the required measurables to play right away and was playing pretty good until he got hurt. Even there, in an ideal situation he wouldn't have played his first year either. I'm really big on giving OL a year to reshape their bodies and add strength, they are going against some (literal) grown men on the DL
I agree 100%. My point was that Sometimes the underrated guy is more ready to compete than the higher rated guy and like you said there is really no such thing as a day 1 ready HS OL which you stated as well. Over 99% of guys need at least a year of practice and putting on weight and strength to be able to compete at the P5 level.

Advertisement
Was he supposed to commit? Any news on him?

gaby …
Sources close to Johnathan Cline implied over the weekend that the Peach State lineman was in between Miami and one other program. I believe whichever that other program is, guessing ECU, potentially UCF, is where he’s headed.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back