2023 New ‘23 offer - OL Johnathan Cline

Advertisement
I’ll just say this because god forbid we don’t crown every 3-star recruit that we’re interested in…Tinalau is a project. Cline is undoubtedly a project. You take both…(and I still believe he’s a plan B kid if we’re going after Sampson, Francis, Alinen, Sanker, etc.), then I’m expecting 6 o-linemen this class. Need some plug and play guys in the two-deep, considering who could potentially be leaving.

They COULD be good in 2-3 years, but that’s not the point. We need some more immediate impact guys in the trenches - it’s glaringly evident. Y’all saw how easy it was for Moss and others to abuse our second string in the spring game. Could guys like McLaughlin and Washington magically develop exponentially under Mirabal and Mario? Sure - but I personally think there’s a cap on their talent. Guess it depends on how many slots we have for the line and attrition that comes after 2022.

Last edited:
OL is such a crapshoot as well.
Agreed, hardest position to evaluate. That’s why I don’t have a problem with the take; but film - at least to me - shows the four I mentioned in my previous post are better than any of the three linemen we currently have committed.

Advertisement
I’ll just say this because god forbid we don’t crown every 3-star recruit that we’re interested in…Tinalau is a project. Cline is undoubtedly a project. You take both…(and I still believe he’s a plan B kid if we’re going after Sampson, Francis, Alinen, Sanker, etc.), then I’m expecting 6 o-linemen this class. Need some plug and play guys in the two-deep, considering who could potentially be leaving.

They COULD be good in 2-3 years, but that’s not the point. We need some more immediate impact guys in the trenches - it’s glaringly evident. Y’all saw how easy it was for Moss and others to abuse our second string in the spring game. Could guys like McLaughlin and Washington magically develop exponentially under Mirabal and Mario? Sure - but I personally think there’s a cap on their talent. Guess it depends on how many slots we have for the line and attrition that comes after 2022.

We’ll be active in the portal at OL next year too.

Agreed, hardest position to evaluate. That’s why I don’t have a problem with the take; but film - at least to me - shows the four I mentioned in my previous post are better than any of the three linemen we currently have committed.
I agree. We would have to really like the kid if he is given the green light right now. Too many big fish that we are in the thick of things announcing soon. We already have 2 so I’d assume room for only 4 or so more. Plus with Cline, it’s not like we are fighting off UGA for him.

Advertisement

I think we need to take 6 regardless. OL is a numbers game and you have to throw numbers at this thing to fix it. In a class of 6, consider yourself blessed if 3 of them even hit. Agree with you though. Yes, I trust these guys when it comes to OL but we absolutely need instant contributors too (I realize much easier said than done, those are rare) to turn this thing around quicker. I know it’s unlikely but I wouldn’t even be mad if we took 7 OL. We need to turn that room around yesterday.

Feel like he’s a Plan B type kid tbh
I don't know if he is plan B. He has really good feet. He doesn't just overpower people because he is bigger. Remember how Zion came in, smoked v UF and now he is being talked about as first rounder. I have seen to many high ranked OL bust to trust recruiting sites.

Has good size for a guard, obviously a hard worker in the weight room. Shows a nasty demeanor and ability to finish blocks. Showed good athleticism in the open field tracking blocks. Good initial punch although you'd like to see his punch point more inside. Got his hands outside too much but even then he showed the wherewithal to get them back inside.

Loves how he keeps he feet moving on contact. Def has the feet of a guard more than a tackle. Like to see him play a little lower, got high at times and that cost him power at times (defenders could be short too). Could be a flexibility thing also with tight hips or ankles but that can be worked on. Pretty technically sound and it seems like he has received some good coaching. You can see that in his combo blocks and how he gets off to the LB.

People talk about needing immediate impact on some Freshman OL but those dudes are few and far between. Elite prospects and that has a lot to do with size and strength. Most kids going to need a year in a college strength room to actually have an impact on the oline.

Advertisement
I don't know if he is plan B. He has really good feet. He doesn't just overpower people because he is bigger. Remember how Zion came in, smoked v UF and now he is being talked about as first rounder. I have seen to many high ranked OL bust to trust recruiting sites.
No you’re right, he absolutely has solid traits. He’s a good recruit - I’m just saying we need a balance of guys that need time to develop, and the behemoths that can come in and make an immediate impact.

Advertisement
My God my heart stopped watching this. Terrible form by the youngman but he is clearly country strong to go that deep and literally power his way back up despite the bad form. Coach Feld will get him sorted out quickly and have him properly squatting over 600lbs year one.

Similar sentiments with his clean

Go Canes

In the day of social media there is zero excuse for ego lifting like this. How does an adult not sit him down and set this straight? Kid is doing serious damage to himself moving weight like that with form like that.

Gaby says the bat signal is not for cline
Manchester United Yes GIF by UEFA

Advertisement
Back