Never Realized How Little Richt Throws to the RB's

Miami had a perfectly TIMED screen pass in the first quarter, but " the kid " couldn't get off the pass because he had a couple of howling *****'s in his face!:youre-nuts: So until the offensive line " comes through, " the wheel route and screen pass to a RB will only be positive on paper and what not.

Advertisement
I'm not sure what game or offense some of yall are watching but I see RB screens all the time. This offense prefers the long ball, but N'Kosi can do a better job of going to the running backs more bc they're wide open a lot of the times. I'm not sure if it's being talked about, i'm sure when they look at film it is. But N'Kosi trust his receivers to make the big play he just has to learn to reel it in at times.

I love wheel routes. They are so hard to defend.

But for real, we're not throwing to the backs because we're having to keep them in on pass pro. Moving Donaldson back inside and replacing him with a more athletic tackle in Scaife should solve that issue. ND was being beaten so often by speed rushers, we rarely have been able to run pass routes with our backs.

These are valid points. I guess you can say we've had some domino effects due to the inefficiencies of our OL. I seriously hope this is addressed this off season. I didn't have time to look at Searles unit at his previous stints, but typically OL coaches don't go from school to school as often as he has.

I loved the wrinkle we used when we threw it out to Choc last game. Seems like that would work almost every time in short yardage

I just went over every game so far this year and we've only thrown to the RB's all of 17 times all year? Against LSU only 2 throws to the RB and they were both completions.
Against SSU we threw 4 passes to the RB's & 3 were completed, Toledo 0 passes found their way to the RB's, FIU 7 passes to RB's with 4 passes completed, N.C. 0 Passes to the RB's but we only threw 12 passes the whole game, and against FSU 4 passes to the RB's & 2 were completed

17 Att - 11 completions? It's a high percentage completion rate why not throw more to the RB's

I love Richt but why not a couple of swing passes to the RB's, especially when you have a QB that's still feeling his way? I get that he may want to avoid the middle of the field especially when we had Rosier back there, I do see a few more passes toward the middle with Perry. But a few easy passes to the RB's?
Man this annoys me so much. Its easy yards where our backs have a clear advantage. Last year Homer showed how good he was catching and DJ we know can do it also. I remember back in the day when we used to employ a FB and we'd fake a run and Quad Hill would run out and get 10-15 yards in the flat on his own. Granted we don't do that now but I'd love to see more throws and once a game run a freaking wheel route to DJ......no linebacker is staying with him.

Advertisement
Yesterday it was we don't throw enough screen passes, Today it's we don't use the backs enough. We'll boys and girl we're really finding out how much people don't watch the game. We have backs running open on plays where it's my guess they should be the first read, but we just aren't throwing to them. Case in point it was either the dropped fade to Cager or the toe tap to Wiggins. Our back released from teh backfield and had the perfect pick play by the single receiver it was open we just didn't throw it to them (we literally run this play 2-3 times a game, we just don't throw it to the RB) . We also missed Homer out of the backfield on another throw, completed one to choc and tried 2 RB screens. And did we all forget the trick play designed for Homer that panhandle played well. About 7 plays out of the 32 passes we called that were called with getting an RB the ball in mind.....that's 22% of pass plays.

We ran the wheel with Cam in the game against UNC or FIU. Should we run that play 3 times a game?

seriously you guys look for things to try and complain about.

I love wheel routes. They are so hard to defend.

But for real, we're not throwing to the backs because we're having to keep them in on pass pro. Moving Donaldson back inside and replacing him with a more athletic tackle in Scaife should solve that issue. ND was being beaten so often by speed rushers, we rarely have been able to run pass routes with our backs.

Bolded is my initial take as well.

Same time, tossing it to the backs is a good way to neutralize a pass rush. Be creative. I think it's a bit of both, need backs to block, but also need to find ways to get the ball out of QB hands quickly and shovel passes, screens, quick RB chip/flat, chip/slant, etc, are ways to get the ball out of the QB's hands quick and basically supplement a struggling run game with short passes.

We need to be one of those programs that is recognized for using our backs as more than just runners/blockers.

shovel passes
TE shovel is one of my personal favorites.

But I agree with you on all points except toss plays to neutralize pass rush. It works, but not when the ends are beating your tackles so badly that they have a 50/50 chance of getting the pitch. Works great against interior rush though.

One play that I'm shocked we haven't seen was Richt's bread and butter Power Toss he ran so much at UGA. look for that to maybe incorporated after the bye when we've had a break to work something in for out new starting QB. We couldn't run it last season because we didn't have a FB, and it's hard to install new play concepts during the season without a break in the action.

Advertisement
Seems like the RBs slip out for check downs quite often. Perry needs to utilize them. The plays are there. It would help the offense tremendously.

I like to throw to the running backs as much as the next guy however the running backs are already getting touches throughout the game and every pass thrown to a running back is one less touch opportunity for a guy like Jeff Thomas. Idk about you guys but I definitely want to get him as many touches as possible, guys electric. Would you trade a running back pass for a pass to Jeff Thomas? I wouldn’t and I’m sure a though process like that is why you are seeing a smaller number of passes to running backs.

Advertisement
It’s up to Perry to make the right read. Previous poster is correct. RBs were open on multiple plays, but Perry was sticking to one read.

The good news is the Miami Hurricanes benefit from having at least 300 offensive coordinators on this site.

Rich just doesn't run a championship level offense at this point. Dude is old as he'll/ been coaching forever and hasn't evolved. Its obvious that's just who is. He needs to up grade that side of the ball if he truly loves Miami. He'll Syracuse oc / offense is more innovative than the bs rich puts out there with way better athletes.

Advertisement
Need to, Tom Brady is the best QB ever and he constantly uses his running backs every game

If young Thomas Brady played in the 90's he'd have two broken legs and be eating his pancakes through a straw.

GTFO with any offensive player in the NFL for the last 10 years being the "best" at anything. Randy Moss excepted.

After rewatching games this year I’m willing to give Richt the benefit of the doubt for a few reasons:
1. Rosier is bad and missed wide open receivers more often than not
2. OL isn’t where it should be for a top 10 team. I think we have the talent to be good in 2018 but for various reasons we’ve been below avg
3. He’s likely breaking Perry in slowly

Now that we are knee deep in ACC, I’m curious to see how Richt opens up the playbook.

I still want more screens, slants and play action to our TEs. He could do a better job mixing up his running plays... more misdirection and traps, especially on 1st downs

I like to throw to the running backs as much as the next guy however the running backs are already getting touches throughout the game and every pass thrown to a running back is one less touch opportunity for a guy like Jeff Thomas. Idk about you guys but I definitely want to get him as many touches as possible, guys electric. Would you trade a running back pass for a pass to Jeff Thomas? I wouldn’t and I’m sure a though process like that is why you are seeing a smaller number of passes to running backs.

I don't think it's about one or the other so much as adding RB passes to what we already do. The point is to get the ball to playmakers while also giving Perry easy, quick throws. Another benefit is that it might open up the longer passes if your secondary is concerned about getting burned by the RBs. And slow down the rush.

Basically it's the perfect play and we should always do it every play ever.

But for real, if we can work in more passes to RBs it could help us on several levels.

Advertisement
Back