Nesta Silvera

Martycane

Sophomore
He got a fair amount of burn this season.
Is he becoming who we hoped he'd be?
Any chance he reaches Willis's level?
I'd guess he'll start with Ford next year.

Nesta's a 3-tech, right? So he wouldn't be surpassed by Miller. Ford might.

Advertisement
**** I thought he had a good year
He flashed some at times this year which is good to see but I want To see a completely healthy Nesta and as a junior being a more mature player and getting even more playing time.

Advertisement
Definitely underwhelmed in play production. However, he helped the team by being present with his leadership.

Nesta isn't big, fast, strong, or long and this is no lie. Nesta WILL only make a name for himself at the U by playing with more heart than Rudy.

Advertisement
D, I'm over 65 now. Am I finally ready or still need a couple years. I have eligibility left but don't want to waste it if I'm too young.

Ha ha, I'm almost with you my nostalgic brother; my eligibility is up; I'd already started two years small college ball by the time I was 19. Wasn't no red-shirt in my league, either play or take the "Midnight Train to Georgia" back east. I went to grad school, but no transfer...still if I'd of had any more fun it would have killed me. And I got to play with a group of guys ( a dozen of us from Florida) that were happy to be playing a game we loved and didn't rely on coaches to get us motivated for teams we were supposed to beat by double digits, we took care of it on the field.

Disappointing year but I imagine the injury had a lot to do with it.

Next year is critical for him. Regarding Willis, he didn't break out until he was 23 years old. Age is huge with DTs.
yes juts like 0-linemen are slow to develop in HS in many cases.

He got a fair amount of burn this season.
Is he becoming who we hoped he'd be?
Any chance he reaches Willis's level?
I'd guess he'll start with Ford next year.

Nesta's a 3-tech, right? So he wouldn't be surpassed by Miller. Ford might.

Linemen are the only group in today's college football that I still advocate redshirting. They truly need that extra year to get their bodies ready for the brutality. No 18 year old is ready to line up in the trenches and be a regular contributor.

Nesta is right on schedule - had hoped he'd be ahead of schedule, but that was probably not realistic. Like most DTs, he had minimal impact Freshman year, and flashed a bit Sophomore year. Now his Junior year is when he needs to dominate. He's got to work on his speed and technique, which I saw him do a bit more this past season not falling back on the bull rush all the time.

Junior year has to be his year, though. Hope he takes this off season very seriously. He and Ford should start with Miller and 2 of Blissett/Holley/Harrison-Hunte chipping in. A good staff should be able to extract a lot out of the DT group because there is a lot of talent to work with.

Talent evaluation and player development. We've been failing in these areas for too long. Recruit well and develop your players so you don't have to rely on dumpster diving in the portal to field a team.

Advertisement
We're 8 deep at DT counting incoming freshmen. We haven't been this flush in many years. What's missing right now is someone elite...

Next year is critical for him. Regarding Willis, he didn't break out until he was 23 years old. Age is huge with DTs.

This. DT is one of the toughest positions to make a splash early. Usually, 3rd year in the program is when you START to see it all come together.

Advertisement

In before someone points out one of the handful of DTs that was good as a 19 year old.

Maybe our DTs it is. It goes both ways with lineman, offense and defense, very few can come in and play right away those guys are very special.
You got a lot to learn a lot of things to get used to
That's a huge reason why so many of those camps are tremendous when it comes to recruiting
Very hard to see how good a dominant offensive lineman or defensive lineman really is during regular season play I'm very rarely do they go up against Elite Talent on a regular basis

Advertisement
Back