Negative thought this week: stat of the Golden era

Miami04

Senior
For this weeks negative thought I have done a ton of research into this defensive problem. (there will be no positive thought this week because I am done with trying to find a diamond in the ****)

After the Nebraska game I realized we only forced Nebraska to punt the ball one time and I got to thinking, I feel like I've seen this movie before. So I went back and researched how many punts we have forced in each game over the last 3 years. (end of half/game kneel downs were eliminated) Then I took those numbers and compared them to Virginia Tech who's defense has been good over the last few years but not great. Plus, we both play similar schedules. As I went along my research more disturbing stats came out that I will share with you. (I only used games against power 5 schools)

Since 2012 Miami has forced its opponents to punt the ball 77 times in 274 drives, that comes to 28%. We are averaging forcing the opponent to punt 3.5 times a game. Our opponents are averaging 12.5 possessions a game. That is 9 possessions a game that the other team is scoring or turning the ball over.

Compare this to Virginia Tech. They are forcing the opponents to punt the ball 50.34% of the time over the same span. And averaging forcing 6.2 punts a game. What would Miami do with 3 additional possessions?

In its last 22 games against power 5 opponents Miami has forced 77 punts. In VT's last 13 games against power 5 they have forced 77.

In Miami's last 22 games against power five opponents they have forced the other team to punt 5 times or more a total of 6 games. 6 out of 22.
in comparison in VT's last 12 games against power five opponents they have forced 10 teams to punt more than 5 times. 10 out of 12 games. (GT punted 4 times against them in '13&'14)

Last year, Miami lost every game they didn't force a turn over. Cant get off the field.

This is my favorite stat. In the last 22 against power five Miami has forced a punt in back-to-back possessions 10 times. 10 out of 22 games we have forced a team to just punt it twice in a row.
VT has forced back-to-back punts in 11 of its last 12 games. The only exception being GT last week.

Miami has forced only 1 punt in a game in 5 of its last 22 games.
In VT's last 100 games they have forced every opponent to punt 2 times or more.

Under Golden Miami has never forced a power 5 team to punt 50% of their possessions in a game.
VT averaged 50% last year, for an entire year.

I would love for someone to ask the staff about stats like these and others and have them point to the progress.

This defense is built on reacting period. If the other team does not make a mistake we have a very small chance to win the game. When it comes down to a big drive in the game the defense gives up a score almost every time. If the defense can't get off the field we cannot win game. We never force 3 and outs and we never adjust to force the other team to kick it to us. I know we all realize the defense is bad but these are some stats that back that up and shoot down anyone (Golden) who says our defense is improving.

I cant fault our offense for not outscoring every team we play but there has to be some games where 21 points is enough to win.

Advertisement
My favorite stat of the entire season and maybe all of Golden's time here is 53 rushing attempts and 1 negative play. And that one shouldn't have counted.

My favorite stat /quote is 55%...we pressured 55%...WTF does that even mean?

Fantastic stuff! I love me some stats.

My favorites are your last two. Golden has never forced a power conference team to punt 50% of their possessions in a game?! Not once? That is astounding. Mind numbingly bad. Just horrific. Then I love the stat about VT forcing teams to punt at least twice 100 times in a row. Meanwhile we've failed to do it almost 25% of the time under Golden. Again, just crazy, hard to believe stuff.

Advertisement

My favorites are your last two. Golden has never forced a power conference team to punt 50% of their possessions in a game?! Not once? That is astounding. Mind numbingly bad. Just horrific. Then I love the stat about VT forcing teams to punt at least twice 100 times in a row. Meanwhile we've failed to do it almost 25% of the time under Golden. Again, just crazy, hard to believe stuff.

And yet it has nothing to do with the scheme on defense, we just have to tackle better

We allowed a team to run the ball over 50 times in a game, at 6 yards a clip, for the 3rd straight year. What makes Saturday's performance even more astounding is that the long run by Nebraska was only 26 yards.

And yet it has nothing to do with the scheme on defense, we just have to tackle better

That and we're not big/fat/slow enough. Just wait until Golden completes his master plan of playing 11 dts on defense at one time.

Advertisement
We allowed a team to run the ball over 50 times in a game, at 6 yards a clip, for the 3rd straight year. What makes Saturday's performance even more astounding is that the long run by Nebraska was only 26 yards.

So what you're saying is, "bend but don't break" works!

Advertisement
Comparing VT's defense to Miami's defense is like comparing Mike Trout to my 5 yr. old brother's little league team....depressing that our hallmark Defense is Dead

Advertisement
Meanwhile, the vast majority of those stats were already in place when we faced Virginia Tech last year, and somehow Canes fans expected to win comfortably. We still have posts referring back to that game as an atrocity.

I guess I should have taken Virginia Tech money line as well as the +7.5 points.

Advertisement
Back