Negative thought this week: stat of the Golden era

In the 80s you could play bend but don't break defense cause half of the teams in the top 25 could barely complete 50% of their passes. So just preventing big plays and waiting for the opponent to make a mistake actually worked. Now practically every team has a competent passing game. You are better off being aggressive and forcing mistakes. Heck I rather teams score in two plays then 12 players anyway cause its doesn't wear down the defense.

The funny thing is our defense actually doesn't get beat deep much but we literally get picked apart EVERY game we play versus a power 5 conference. Its mind boggling lol

Advertisement
Fantastic stuff! I love me some stats.

My favorites are your last two. Golden has never forced a power conference team to punt 50% of their possessions in a game?! Not once? That is astounding. Mind numbingly bad. Just horrific. Then I love the stat about VT forcing teams to punt at least twice 100 times in a row. Meanwhile we've failed to do it almost 25% of the time under Golden. Again, just crazy, hard to believe stuff.

And yet it has nothing to do with the scheme on defense, we just have to tackle better

It has plenty to do with the scheme. The scheme puts these guys in a bad position to make tackles. Its a lot harder to make tackles when you're one on one and the guy has momentum and space to work with vs tackling a guy who has limited space. You that picture that has been posted where they are on the goalline and we are backed up as if playing safe and deep. That is how every play looks for us. Add to that, most of the time our guys are already in a backpedal. This scheme has just as much to do with bad tackling as this coaching staff not teaching proper fundamentals.

Fantastic stuff! I love me some stats.

My favorites are your last two. Golden has never forced a power conference team to punt 50% of their possessions in a game?! Not once? That is astounding. Mind numbingly bad. Just horrific. Then I love the stat about VT forcing teams to punt at least twice 100 times in a row. Meanwhile we've failed to do it almost 25% of the time under Golden. Again, just crazy, hard to believe stuff.

And yet it has nothing to do with the scheme on defense, we just have to tackle better

That and we're not big/fat/slow enough. Just wait until Golden completes his master plan of playing 11 dts on defense at one time.

Dont you mean 11 DBs?

Advertisement
We allowed a team to run the ball over 50 times in a game, at 6 yards a clip, for the 3rd straight year. What makes Saturday's performance even more astounding is that the long run by Nebraska was only 26 yards.

http://www.sheawong.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/oh-****-morgan-freeman-gif.gif

Alas, al golden would find another excuse. "Well on the money downs, ya see, what we want to do is defer the big gainer. You'll see a lot of teams go play action over the top on money downs. As long as we don't give up the big play, first downs don't matter. Yards don't matter. ****, points don't matter. What we have to do is keep moving forward. Just as every opponent does against us. You know there's only a certain time to get stops. And we just gotta learn to get off the field. We have to keep moving forward. And if the offense stalls at our own 20, it's hard to force a punt. It really is. Look I'm just being honest. I'm answering your questions. We have to keep moving forward and progressing. We hope that our fortunes will change on money downs."

Advertisement
Back