Need someone new to step up -who will it be?

Historically, G-tech does not do well against quick/fast, shifty WR's. Couple that with the fact that Richt knows we are going to have to put quick points on the board to make G-tech throw the ball, I expect to see a more up tempo style offense with Berrios, Thomas, and Harley feasting all day!

Advertisement
This seems like the ideal game for Finley to step in for Redwine. You don't have to ask much in terms of coverage. Just go downhill and wrap up and be in the right spot.

The biggest thing in Redwine's play is he has been in the right place cleaning up for LBs that are out of place. Whoever is at safety better do the same or our LBs better figure it out or we'll get the L. That's not even asking much out of a LB unit that every single snap played last year has returned...

Cagers issues were obvious but it's not like Malik played a complete game either. 19-44 is bad no matter how you spin it.

He had a few ****ty throws that were meant for Cager.

They both need to step up and be more consistent.
He had a few bad throws but when I went back and watched the tape the receivers didn’t help him much either. There were multiple drops from cager, berrios and ahmmon that would have helped a lot. Also him missing herndon on that rollout pass
I agree.

hey trust me, I'm not bashing Malik AT ALL. That kid made it happen.

Just saying we won a game like that and we can clearly play better....much much better in a lot of areas.

I can't imagine what that win does for his confidence. A confident QB breeds confident receivers, OL etc.

Cant wait!

Cagers issues were obvious but it's not like Malik played a complete game either. 19-44 is bad no matter how you spin it.

He had a few ****ty throws that were meant for Cager.

They both need to step up and be more consistent.

You know there were three 5 stars in that secondary right? We won't be facing another defense as good as them the rest of the season
Of course. And I've said so a ton of times.

But how long can we just sit here and go crazy about the win?!

Forever I guess. But let's get to discussing some ways we can improve as well. That's all.

With Richards (likely out) and Walton out for GT, I really feel someone outside of Homer and Berrios needs to come up big and become an impact player this week. I believe we are going to have to put up a good number of points to win. I'm hoping it's one of these guys:

Herndon
Harley

Who you got?

We began to discover Herndon in the second half of the FSU game. Hopefully we won't wait until the latter part of the year, or after a loss or two, to maximize his impact (as with Njoku last year).

Advertisement
On offense it would be really nice if we used Herndon like we did in the 4th quarter. On defense, a team effort is fine by me.

Herndon with his best game of the year.

Also, I don't see GT getting a lot of 7-8 minute drives. They'll have more 3 and outs than 8 minute drives.

My only concern with this game is Richt himself using a lot of clock and slowing things down. Correction, TRYING to use a lot of clock. Rosier seems to be at his best when he's in a hurry up, so if we go slow just to play the TOP game, it's going to be an ugly game. In my opinion we should open things up and simply trust our D is up to the test. If they are, we will roll GT. If we go uber conservative on O to try to keep GT off the field, it won't be pretty. We might still win, but it will be an ugly win. Richt has always had Johnson's number, but some of the player interviews I heard sounded like they were a little too concerned with time of possession. Do whatever you have to to score, and trust your D. Let GT worry about the clock, and let us worry about the scoreboard.

Advertisement
Herndon with his best game of the year.

Also, I don't see GT getting a lot of 7-8 minute drives. They'll have more 3 and outs than 8 minute drives.

My only concern with this game is Richt himself using a lot of clock and slowing things down. Correction, TRYING to use a lot of clock. Rosier seems to be at his best when he's in a hurry up, so if we go slow just to play the TOP game, it's going to be an ugly game. In my opinion we should open things up and simply trust our D is up to the test. If they are, we will roll GT. If we go uber conservative on O to try to keep GT off the field, it won't be pretty. We might still win, but it will be an ugly win. Richt has always had Johnson's number, but some of the player interviews I heard sounded like they were a little too concerned with time of possession. Do whatever you have to to score, and trust your D. Let GT worry about the clock, and let us worry about the scoreboard.

I was thinking the same thing. If we can build a 10-14 point lead by midway in the 2nd quarter, it would be nice to see this O sustain drives via the TE and a consistently positive yardage run game, but otherwise, it's going to take turnovers or a D/ST score to play the TOP game. The difference in last year's game was the two defensive scores.

I don't care how many stars those DB's had. Cager is 6'5 and he's not a twig. He muscles his way up there and he gives himself a chance to make a play plain and simple. Berrios is going against the same DB's and he's 5 foot nothing. It's all about dogged effort and determination for him. I love that his QB is challenging him. I expect him to rise up to the challenge of his QB.

Its day 5 folks..I think we have beaten Cager up enough. He knows he phucked up. He got stage fright. Happens to the best of them. I remember when Santana his sophomore year against FSU dropped a wide open bomb that would have broken that game wide open and given us alot of confidence if he had caught it. Dont tell me that guy didnt learn from that drop..Very next year ripped them a new a$$ hole and almost won us the game by himself.

Cager should and will learn from this and be ready the next time we need him. If not..thats what we have Langham for. (shrugs)

I like the idea of either Cager or Langham being the player(s) that step up in the absence of, and even in the future, in addition to, Richards. Ideally, it would be great to be able to line up 3 WRs with such different skillsets - Cager/Langham - our big WR who can go get jump balls, be a big target in the redzone, and overall use their body to make tough catches, Berrios/Thomas/Harley - a quick slot receiver who can do things like what Braxton has done this season - attack the middle of the field, move the chains, and make important catches, and Richards/Harley/Thomas - the guy who is always a threat to break the big play, the guy who takes the top off of defense, and the guy who opens things up for the other players on offense.

While Berrios has really been doing everything for us, it would be great if Cager/Langham could become a consistent red zone/short yardage target, as they both have the size and skills to act in that role and make Rosier's life easier. And, without Richards this week, it would be great to see either Thomas or Harley break a big play or two to build up their confidence and add another element to our offense.

Given that Richards has barely played, we haven't got much from Harley, Thomas or Cager, and Langham only was really a factor against Bethune and of course on one play last week, I'd say it's pretty encouraging that Rosier has still played as well as he has. With Walton and Richards out, it's time for our other WRs to really pick it up, and I think if those guys do so, our passing offense could be pretty dynamic.

LBs. We beat noles. Now we need the defense to start shutting teams down cold. I want the LBs to live on GT side of the line of scrimmage disrupting and causing fumbles.

Advertisement
Hopefully the whole team steps up. If so game will not be close. As for the individual that may step up the most sometimes a surprise to all.

PS
How many thought Langham would be the hero before the FSU game

Last edited:
Jeff Thomas seems to be getting use to the pace and size of college so I think he is itching to get his hands on the ball, also I think Cager has a bounce back game vs GT.

Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, Michael Pinckney, Malek Young & Amari Carter.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back