Need assistance with Pics of Miami getting screwed

Advertisement
View attachment 268033View attachment 268026View attachment 268028View attachment 268029View attachment 268030View attachment 268031View attachment 268032
Someone shopped the pic in the post above.
Pic 2 is when he's first touched.
Even if you argue the tackle started a split-second before, there's no arguing the fact that he lost control of the ball (Pic 4 and 5).
1701127541009.gif

1701127576515.gif

Can anyone explain to me how one becomes an NCAA ref? Do they come from the high school ranks like a farm system?

Do they get graded individually by an independent group and held accountable like any other job?

This year was ******* bad. Not just our games either. I mean if you cant even get it right with the type of video/technology access they have then wtf are we doing with the review system.
You certainly have to come from the High School ranks in most cases. You aren't showing up to a conference officials camp with no training, 0 rule study and not knowing anyone. Its a big network so you will need referrals. I did HS officiating for 15years here in VA, the association I was a part of has many alums that are in D1 ball. Handful of them in the ACC. By in large, the individual officials aren't the issue in most cases. Its all directives and points of emphasis from their conference and the NCAA. If you don't follow along and grade poorly you will be gone.

You certainly have to come from the High School ranks in most cases. You aren't showing up to a conference officials camp with no training, 0 rule study and not knowing anyone. Its a big network so you will need referrals. I did HS officiating for 15years here in VA, the association I was a part of has many alums that are in D1 ball. Handful of them in the ACC. By in large, the individual officials aren't the issue in most cases. Its all directives and points of emphasis from their conference and the NCAA. If you don't follow along and grade poorly you will be gone.

Appreciate the insight. Im assuming you font go right into D1 and have to do some time in D2/D3. Like players Im sure there has to be some getting used to not only the cfb rules, but the speed of the game.

Im not sure what the answer is, but things need to be upleveled. The officiating quality is terrible for such a big money and visible industry.

Perhaps an extra ref? More accountabilty and grading where refs can get benched in season for poor performance?

The undeniable bias towards/against certain schools is an entirely other issue I cant wrap my head around.

Advertisement
Here, you want some more bull****?

We are sitting here debating over where the ball was, as if a referee actually saw the play and made a minor error of judgment.

But, yeah, that never happened. The non-safety was made by a ref BEHIND the play who couldn't see ****.

Meanwhile, he had EVERY OTHER INDICIA of a safety, where the offensive player was standing (in the end zone), where the tackler was (in the end zone), where the players landed (in the end zone) and where the ball was at the end of the tackle (in the end zone).

But he had NO superior angle or grounds for making a call that the ball was ENTIRELY outside the end zone, outside of his desire NOT to award Miami with the safety.

What, we are supposed to believe that the ref had some Six Million Dollar Man reverse angle eyeballs that spotted Travis rocking the ball back and forth into the end zone as Wesley began to tackle him?

Come on, now. Look at that picture and tell me how the ref called this down at the 1 yard line.

View attachment 268027
The biggest failure in this pic is there isn't an official positioned on the goaline to make the proper call, unless there is one on the opposite side of the field. I never worked an 8 man mechanic so I can't really can't say which official is not in position. the fact there isn't a short wing up top in that photo nowhere in the screen working back to the goaline though is very troubling. Goaline is always most import for short and to a lesser extent, deep wings above all else. 99% sure short wings are not in position.

Appreciate the insight. Im assuming you font go right into D1 and have to do some time in D2/D3. Like players Im sure there has to be some getting used to not only the cfb rules, but the speed of the game.

Im not sure what the answer is, but things need to be upleveled. The officiating quality is terrible for such a big money and visible industry.

Perhaps an extra ref? More accountabilty and grading where refs can get benched in season for poor performance?

The undeniable bias towards/against certain schools is an entirely other issue I cant wrap my head around.

The biggest failure in this pic is there isn't an official positioned on the goaline to make the proper call, unless there is one on the opposite side of the field. I never worked an 8 man mechanic so I can't really can't say which official is not in position. the fact there isn't a short wing up top in that photo nowhere in the screen working back to the goaline though is very troubling. Goaline is always most import for short and to a lesser extent, deep wings above all else. 99% sure short wings are not in position.
According to the Boxscore it was a 7 man crew so it is 100% the short wings not working hard enough to get in position.

Advertisement
I'd still like to feel like my coach is alive and actively involved in the game, especially after one of the most boneheaded play calls in the history of football.
I agree, but it’s probably one of those situations nothing to report so they aren’t gonna say anything.

Any explanation on why this was ruled a fumble, when elbow was clearly down?
The excuse was that this high definition photo wasn’t available to the refs during their review. They were working off video. Being 100% unbiased, the video available at the wasn’t conclusive enough to overturn, imo. It hindsight with that photo, its clearly the wrong call

The safety against Clemson and fsu I have no words for

In the podcast it was 11 games since joining the acc.
I believe we had at least one more this season so 12.
The entire podcast is very good.
But he talks about the holding calls at the 58 minute mark.

This make no sense

On one hand he mentions we went 10 games straight 2 years ago with no holding calls

On the other he says 11 total games of no holding call since joining acc.. how can both be true?

Then he also claims there’s a 31% chance per game ncaa wide that no holding is called per side

So first, we joined in 2004. So let’s say 18 season (or is it 19).. average 8 acc games per season. That’s 144 games. By this guys own stats, you would expect 31% of those 144 games to have no holds called. 31% of 144 is 44.6… yet he complains about 11.. while also saying other schools only have 3… while overall odds are relatively high at 31%…

his analysis/math is off somewhere.

This make no sense

On one hand he mentions we went 10 games straight 2 years ago with no holding calls

On the other he says 11 total games of no holding call since joining acc.. how can both be true?

Then he also claims there’s a 31% chance per game ncaa wide that no holding is called per side

So first, we joined in 2004. So let’s say 18 season (or is it 19).. average 8 acc games per season. That’s 144 games. By this guys own stats, you would expect 31% of those 144 games to have no holds called. 31% of 144 is 44.6… yet he complains about 11.. while also saying other schools only have 3… while overall odds are relatively high at 31%…

his analysis/math is off somewhere.
First he was referring to in conference games only since joining the acc.
The 10 in a row were during a season with both in and out of conference games.

The math has to be off. He must have typed in the wrong prompt.
Across the board that would mean that all teams should have around 30% of their games where they weren’t called for holding.

But there are very few times where I’ve seen Mark Richt lose his **** mind.
He almost punched a ref when we played Wisconsin.
They were literally tearing the shirts off our d line and no calls at all.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The excuse was that this high definition photo wasn’t available to the refs during their review. They were working off video. Being 100% unbiased, the video available at the wasn’t conclusive enough to overturn, imo. It hindsight with that photo, its clearly the wrong call

The safety against Clemson and fsu I have no words for
I was watching the game live and I had no problem determining that it was a bad call from all the replays and should be over turned. His elbow was clearly down before the upward thrust of the defenders arm, which jarred the ball loose.

First he was referring to in conference games only since joining the acc.
The 10 in a row were during a season with both in and out of conference games.

The math has to be off. He must have typed in the wrong prompt.
Across the board that would mean that all teams should have around 30% of their games where they weren’t called for holding.

But there are very few times where I’ve seen Mark Richt lose his **** mind.
He almost punched a ref when we played Wisconsin.
They were literally tearing the shirts off our d line and no calls at all.
Don’t get my comment wrong - I 100% know for a fact the don’t call holds . For **** sake we had 2 top 10 1st round de on the same team and no holds we called. I see blatant no calls every game.

I was only saying this dudes math is bad

Advertisement
I was watching the game live and I had no problem determining that it was a bad call from all the replays and should be over turned. His elbow was clearly down before the upward thrust of the defenders arm, which jarred the ball loose.
I’m not sure what replays you saw but the ones I saw were blurry. Then again I was there, maybe the replays on TV were more clear than the stadium

Look at the video that @pacusmc posted on the first page of this thread.

While it is not from the "pylon cam" as we had with the F$U pictures, we can still figure out quite a bit.

First, it was the North Carolina game, with Drake Maye, not the Clemson game.

Second, Maye had the ball in both hands. He was rocking it back and forth as he ran. The ball clearly went across the line as he was tripped. But it doesn't matter where his FEET were, it only matters where the BALL was.

Most importantly...no matter how one tries to slice/dice it...the ball was NOT on the one yard line when the tackle began (and make no mistake, the ball was absolutely spotted at the one yard line, not the one foot line or the one inch line).
This is the Clemson safety that was being talked about

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Again...

THREE TIMES IN 28 DAYS?

The exact same call? And the ACC didn't bother to do a refresher course for the refs?

Give me a ******* break...

Advertisement
Back