Nebraska....

So it's basically just a case of some thinking we'll get Al Goldened.

Last I saw, we've been fairly decent at home under Golden and I still see no reason to fear anything about Nebraska. Sure, we have our own set of questions heading into the season, but this game is no more of a concern to me than any other should win opponent we face. I suspect we'll win this one.

Good at home under golden against who? You seem to throw that meaningless stat around like it means something but fail to recognize that golden fails miserable against most any team with a decent coach and players. See, that's the problem. Golden hasn't done anything to make one suggest he will fair well against even an unknown team like nebraska. Chances are nebraska has just as good or better players than Virginia has and golden can't seem to beat those guys consistently even when they suck.

Nebraska doesn't have decent players returning, I thought I made that clear in my first post. I'm not sold at all on Riley and his QB doesn't suit his offense a all, never mind they lost basically their entire offense.

As for fairly decent at home, his 20-8 record is just that. Teams he typically loses to on the road, for whatever reason the odds of a win increase at home. The other places are maybe too loud, long walk to the stadium, in windy areas, or whatever.

Golden is a crappy coach, everyone gets that. However, Nebraska isn't one we should lose so I was asking why people think they'll be anything special. Nobody has said a thing about them, just about how crappy Golden is. I guess we might as well just predict every game a loss with that thinking.

Advertisement

Last I saw, we've been fairly decent at home under Golden and I still see no reason to fear anything about Nebraska. Sure, we have our own set of questions heading into the season, but this game is no more of a concern to me than any other should win opponent we face. I suspect we'll win this one.

Pitt says hi. That loss alone is enough to beat your argument. So inexcusable. But also, VT says hi as well.

Fantastic body of work with that post. We sucked last year, lost to FSU and then I thought I've read how the team just packed it in. Follow FSU up with a loss to UVA once again, the Pitt loss didn't seem improbable at the time.

The VT loss the previous season, that was a bad loss. I'll give you that, in particular in that it wasn't even close. I kept reading here how that would've been a win with Duke....now that's humorous.

Good at home under golden against who? You seem to throw that meaningless stat around like it means something but fail to recognize that golden fails miserable against most any team with a decent coach and players. See, that's the problem. Golden hasn't done anything to make one suggest he will fair well against even an unknown team like nebraska. Chances are nebraska has just as good or better players than Virginia has and golden can't seem to beat those guys consistently even when they suck.

Nebraska doesn't have decent players returning, I thought I made that clear in my first post. I'm not sold at all on Riley and his QB doesn't suit his offense a all, never mind they lost basically their entire offense.

As for fairly decent at home, his 20-8 record is just that. Teams he typically loses to on the road, for whatever reason the odds of a win increase at home. The other places are maybe too loud, long walk to the stadium, in windy areas, or whatever.

Golden is a crappy coach, everyone gets that. However, Nebraska isn't one we should lose so I was asking why people think they'll be anything special. Nobody has said a thing about them, just about how crappy Golden is. I guess we might as well just predict every game a loss with that thinking.

Every cupcake is a home game.
FAMU
Ark State
FAU
Sav State
USF
Culinary school Bethune Cookmanx 2

Take away those games and its 13-8 at home.

Care to list his away record with neutral site games included?

Bottom line, his team's do better at home and it's not even debatable. As it should be, but we all know Joe Robbie has been anything but a home field advantage. The same crap teams we usually lose to on the road, we stand a fair chance at home. I don't know if this was true at Temple and don't care.

Edit: You can't use Ark State either. Half the geniuses around here were predicting a win for them.

Last edited:

Pitt says hi. That loss alone is enough to beat your argument. So inexcusable. But also, VT says hi as well.

Fantastic body of work with that post. We sucked last year, lost to FSU and then I thought I've read how the team just packed it in. Follow FSU up with a loss to UVA once again, the Pitt loss didn't seem improbable at the time.

The VT loss the previous season, that was a bad loss. I'll give you that, in particular in that it wasn't even close. I kept reading here how that would've been a win with Duke....now that's humorous.

Since you mention FSU, that should have also been a win with the way they played early. You can't use everyone else's comments about packing it in to justify a loss. The Pitt loss was inexcusable- period.

The reason we do well at home is because we schedule the easier teams at home. Just wait till Clemson, Nebraska, and GT beat us at home. 3-3 record this year.

Advertisement
FSU did to us what they did to all but one team last year. Slow start or half, then came on in the second. I don't use it to justify anything as it's Golden's job to not let them pack it in. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment about how some justify things

The easier teams (non conference fluff games) certainly help, but that's not the entire story. Teams we lose to at their place who aren't any good, we have a good chance of winning at home. Must be the lack of travel time since it isn't the packed house / home field advantage factor.

Those same

we should be worried for 1 significant reason Riley is a proven experienced winner. he is a superior as a HC versus Al
sad but true...... nice guy, above average recruiter but not cut out to be an HC at this level

Golden is an average coach at home, and is below average on the road and at neutral sites.

At minimum, the games against Savannah State, FAMU and BCC have to be excluded to have a rational debate on the topic. That makes him 16-8. Winning 67% of your home games against FBS competition is nothing special, IMO ... Especially for a Power 5 school.

Every cupcake is a home game.
FAMU
Ark State
FAU
Sav State
USF
Culinary school Bethune Cookmanx 2

Take away those games and its 13-8 at home.

Bottom line, his team's do better at home and it's not even debatable. As it should be, but we all know Joe Robbie has been anything but a home field advantage. The same crap teams we usually lose to on the road, we stand a fair chance at home. I don't know if this was true at Temple and don't care.

Edit: You can't use Ark State either. Half the geniuses around here were predicting a win for them.

Currently riding a two game losing streak at home. One of which was against a sub .500 team on senior day.

I'll use that game as yet another chance to slam golden for not playing Ryan Williams on senior day. His own seniors came to him and asked for Williams to get some burn, golden said no, then got ****ed when his seniors didn't go balls to the wall for him in their final college game.

I don't think people realize the burden that al golden bares by always being the smartest guy in the room. It cannot be easy being him.

Advertisement

Jeebus, you're kidding about that "fairly decent at home" comment, right?

20 and 8 at home suggests as much. It's not super impressive, but fairly decent seems a accurate.

What if you only include division 1 teams?

Last edited:
Currently riding a two game losing streak at home. One of which was against a sub .500 team on senior day.

I'll use that game as yet another chance to slam golden for not playing Ryan Williams on senior day. His own seniors came to him and asked for Williams to get some burn, golden said no, then got ****ed when his seniors didn't go balls to the wall for him in their final college game.

I don't think people realize the burden that al golden bares by always being the smartest guy in the room. It cannot be easy being him.

Not playing Williams was a d!ck move.

Not playing Williams was a d!ck move.

Yep str8 up btich made.

That move alone should tell everyone just how much Gorlden actually "loves" his players.

He's a f****ng vaginal excretion.

Advertisement

LOL Every coach's team does better at home. That's in just about in every sport. That's why in the NBA, NFL, etc. teams are playing to have home-field advantage so they have a better chance of winning. Once again, Golden has not proven he can beat a team with a pulse. We all thought Golden could do something against Louisville last year, and he blew it. He's showed nothing in his 4 years here (or in his career) that he's capable of winning a prime time game.

FSU did to us what they did to all but one team last year. Slow start or half, then came on in the second. I don't use it to justify anything as it's Golden's job to not let them pack it in. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment about how some justify things

The easier teams (non conference fluff games) certainly help, but that's not the entire story. Teams we lose to at their place who aren't any good, we have a good chance of winning at home. Must be the lack of travel time since it isn't the packed house / home field advantage factor.

Those same

I"m convinced this person is on the UM administration. It's acceptable to have close losses and an 8-win season as this will show signs of progression.

It's stuff like this that has me convinced of something like a 4 win season. At the first sign of adversity Al and D'No will cover their azzez, point fingers, and the team will not have confidence in their ability to lead, and pack it in. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling that this could get ugly fast. Good Gawd.

Advertisement

Those same

I"m convinced this person is on the UM administration. It's acceptable to have close losses and an 8-win season as this will show signs of progression.

It's CaneInHeelCountry's cousin, Larry Joe Shalala.

You do what you gotta do to win, no matter what, who would you rather have out there williams or kaaya? Saban and urban dont do that sentimental crap

Since you mention FSU, that should have also been a win with the way they played early. You can't use everyone else's comments about packing it in to justify a loss. The Pitt loss was inexcusable- period.

The reason we do well at home is because we schedule the easier teams at home. Just wait till Clemson, Nebraska, and GT beat us at home. 3-3 record this year.

Not true. We've been blown out once at home (Vtech 2013), since Golden has been here. We've had close losses against good teams, i.e., KSU, FSU (2012,2014). Looking back at our schedules, most seasons, we don't play more than 3 good teams...****, and we only have 1 season with 9 wins . 2012 was Golden's toughest schedule with 3 BCS bowl teams. Big difference for teams like Nebraska to play away from home, where they're not getting crunk from having 100K cheering for them. Their roster looks sorry for next year. I don't see us losing that game. In-fact, I can see Golden beating his chest about beating a program like Nebraska with the rich tradition of winning, and they end up finishing with 6 wins (2 against 1AA teams). OSU and UF all over again, except ****tier.

Has more to do with golden than anything. You can't trust that guy against any team with a pulse.
Was interesting to watch one of those U of Miami programs on ESPN.This segment talk about Miami being in a losing streak with
Butch Davis at the helm.It was described as a disaster until they beat UCLA who was ranked #2 in the nation.Then all of a sudden
he's a great coach.Perhaps win over Nebraska will be turning point.

Seriously? Granted, Butch didn't look like a great coach at that time and many wanted him fired, but he was under a F5 "cloud" with horrific penalties and coming in on the heels of coaches who had won four NCs -- Howard, JJ, and Dennis. Al had a long rain cloud and is losing out in comparison to Larry and Randy and years of losing. Butch had NC and Super Bowl rings on his fingers, Al has ring around the collar. Butch had already recruited 3 NC team for two different coaches. Al recruited one first round draft pick before coming here. NE just fired a coach who beat Al like a little boy. Al had a true freshmen QB starting his second "big" national night game who scored a TD on both first drives -- and then Al found way to lose anyway. Butch was learning to be a HC. Al has already peaked as HC is getting worse each year.

Advertisement
Back