ND's Defense

Hurracanes

Your favorite poster’s favorite poster.
Premium
Last year they were horrible. How the bleep did they improve so fast or are they overrated? Hope our Offense doesn't come out like they did against ND last year. Good god that was terrible.

Advertisement
They have a different coordinator. And I assume they are healthier ( don't know).

They do have weaknesses though and it is not like they stop everybody. NC State was able to get some nice catches from their WRs in some blown coverages.

I also think this is the kind of game Herndon will do well in. Intermediate passes will be there for him and if they miss a tackle he will eat up chunks of yards we need.

Advertisement
They are rated like 50th in total defense arent they? They arent great

WF was the only team to score 20+ points on them this season. I never said they were great; however, that is impressive.

Notre Dame is 24th in yards per play which is solid but not great territory. Their rushing offense chews up the clock, and their defense plays prevent to stop the big play. By limiting their time on the field, and usually playing with a lead, they are able to get results as offense are forced to go for big plays. When teams can establish an offensive rhythm and ND does not build a lead, the ND defense gives up big points.

Advertisement
They are rated like 50th in total defense arent they? They arent great

WF was the only team to score 20+ points this season.

See second post

Holding USC, Nc State and MSU to less than 20 is pretty good. Especially how ****ty their D was last year. Stop discrediting their schedule.

Not discrediting. BC missed your above argument by one point. They are 97th in total offense.

Last week was probably our best offensive performance. If we can build off of that we will win.

Last week was probably our best offensive performance. If we can build off of that we will win.

I'll add to that, VT's Defense is night and day better than ND's. I hope our Offense comes to play to help the D out.

They have a different coordinator. And I assume they are healthier ( don't know).

They do have weaknesses though and it is not like they stop everybody. NC State was able to get some nice catches from their WRs in some blown coverages.

I also think this is the kind of game Herndon will do well in. Intermediate passes will be there for him and if they miss a tackle he will eat up chunks of yards we need.

Feast or famine defense that takes a lot of chances with their defensive backs. We actually match up extremely well against their defense. Virginia Tech had a better defense. Tech's two interior tackles are very, very good. Foster puts his corners on an island but they are well-schooled. I love our matchups Saturday night against ND.

Advertisement
Not discrediting them, but I think they have benefited in that area due to their solid rushing attack on offense.

Advertisement
-Their defense was trash last year, then they fire their defensive coordinator a couple weeks before playing us.

-Meanwhile, Wake Forest had one of the worst offenses in the FBS, but one of the best defenses, led by DC Mike Elko. In 2016, Wake Forest's defense ranked in the top 20 for FBS in defensive touchdowns scored, turnovers, red zone defense, sacks, and scoring defense. Only 3 other teams did that last year, all playoff teams (Washington, Clemson, and Bama). He had a playoff caliber defense at wake forest....

-During the off season ND hired Mike Elko and his LB coach. So he pretty much brought a playoff caliber ACC defense to ND and ofcourse, they have much better talent than Wake Forest. This explains why ND defense is much better than last year, and also explains why ironically...Wake Forest put up the most points on them. They know his defense better than any other team.

They got rid of Brian Vangorder.

This. He was their donofrio and we all know how much difference a good DC can make over a sh1tty one.

Plus, they haven't exactly played offensive juggernauts. Look at their "best" games...

UGA - faced a true fresh QB in his 1st road start
BC - 97th in total offense
USC- 14th in total offense but have no defense
Wake - were missing their best player (Dortch)
MSU - 63rd in the country

In their 2 best wins - USC and MSU - the opposing teams each turned it over 3 times to ND's 0.

As I've said, I don't think they've faced a team like ours with our playmakers and our defense. If we turn it over 3x to ND's 0, we'll lose. But, if we have 0-1 TO, it's a wrap - ball game.

-Their defense was trash last year, then they fire their defensive coordinator a couple weeks before playing us.

-Meanwhile, Wake Forest had one of the worst offenses in the FBS, but one of the best defenses, led by DC Mike Elko. In 2016, Wake Forest's defense ranked in the top 20 for FBS in defensive touchdowns scored, turnovers, red zone defense, sacks, and scoring defense. Only 3 other teams did that last year, all playoff teams (Washington, Clemson, and Bama). He had a playoff caliber defense at wake forest....

-During the off season ND hired Mike Elko and his LB coach. So he pretty much brought a playoff caliber ACC defense to ND and ofcourse, they have much better talent than Wake Forest. This explains why ND defense is much better than last year, and also explains why ironically...Wake Forest put up the most points on them. They know his defense better than any other team.

Thank you.

Advertisement
Back