ND's Defense

Notre Dame is 24th in yards per play which is solid but not great territory. Their rushing offense chews up the clock, and their defense plays prevent to stop the big play. By limiting their time on the field, and usually playing with a lead, they are able to get results as offense are forced to go for big plays. When teams can establish an offensive rhythm and ND does not build a lead, the ND defense gives up big points.

So I'll say this. USC, who is scoring on everyone, scored 14. NC State only scored 7 on offense. MSU got blown out and just beat PSU...Notre Dame was beating wake Forrest 41 to 16 late in the 3rd quarter.

Common theme here?

ND played second team, third, team, and walk-ons starting in the mid/late 3rd quarter.
Most of MSU s yards came with the game out of reach. NC State wasnt in it after halftime, and same thing with USC. End result? Lots of playing time for the non starters, hence more yards against them. The starters have been lights out so far (of course that could change against Miami)

Wake Forest was just a bad game, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was an eye on Miami that somewhat influenced that. If ND wins tomorrow I think they run the table.

ND doesn't play prevent defense. They're actually pretty aggressive. Now, when the game is under control and there are second and third teamers playing, I think it's pretty normal for them to play prevent, a) to protect the younger players and build confidence, and b) try to keep the score down.

Friend says his team plays walk ons in the third quarter.

Advertisement
I don't know why anyone is talking about the Wake game. That game is just as telling about ND as the UNC game is about us.

Also, LOL at everyone that says ND is a ball control offense. Obviously you don't watch the games. ND is 80th in the country at TOP. They are anything BUT a ball control offense. That being said, Miami is even worse at TOP

Notre Dame is 24th in yards per play which is solid but not great territory. Their rushing offense chews up the clock, and their defense plays prevent to stop the big play. By limiting their time on the field, and usually playing with a lead, they are able to get results as offense are forced to go for big plays. When teams can establish an offensive rhythm and ND does not build a lead, the ND defense gives up big points.

So I'll say this. USC, who is scoring on everyone, scored 14. NC State only scored 7 on offense. MSU got blown out and just beat PSU...Notre Dame was beating wake Forrest 41 to 16 late in the 3rd quarter.

Common theme here?

ND played second team, third, team, and walk-ons starting in the mid/late 3rd quarter.
Most of MSU s yards came with the game out of reach. NC State wasnt in it after halftime, and same thing with USC. End result? Lots of playing time for the non starters, hence more yards against them. The starters have been lights out so far (of course that could change against Miami)

Wake Forest was just a bad game, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was an eye on Miami that somewhat influenced that. If ND wins tomorrow I think they run the table.

ND doesn't play prevent defense. They're actually pretty aggressive. Now, when the game is under control and there are second and third teamers playing, I think it's pretty normal for them to play prevent, a) to protect the younger players and build confidence, and b) try to keep the score down.

They start putting second teamers in the third, and by the 4th it's 3rd teamers and walk-ons

ND is 50th in defense, but thats in yards allowed per game. The reason for that is what I've mentioned above. I'd focus more on turnovers, and points scored from turnovers, where they lead the nation.

Their defense is pretty good. They held Georgia to only 20pts. Regardless of yard stats they don't let people score a lot of points. I do think that VT's and FSU's defenses are comparable to ND so we shouldn't be blown away by team speed or strength.

We do practice against a **** good D too.

Their team speed on defense doesn’t bother me- their physicality does. Jones absolutely
Abused Linder last year - blew him up all game long. Don’t know if tillery is as good as Jones but gauthier is def better than linder
Their team speed is great on offense and their defensive front 7 will surprise. Corners aren't all that fast but they're physical and know how to bait the QB into bad throws

Advertisement

Common theme here?

They start putting second teamers in the third, and by the 4th it's 3rd teamers and walk-ons

ND is 50th in defense, but thats in yards allowed per game. The reason for that is what I've mentioned above. I'd focus more on turnovers, and points scored from turnovers, where they lead the nation.

Miami is actually higher than ND in Turnovers/game, and I have no problem admitting TOs are an unreliable statistic. No idea what your point is.

They got rid of Brian Vangorder.

This. He was their donofrio and we all know how much difference a good DC can make over a sh1tty one.

Plus, they haven't exactly played offensive juggernauts. Look at their "best" games...

UGA - faced a true fresh QB in his 1st road start
BC - 97th in total offense
USC- 14th in total offense but have no defense
Wake - were missing their best player (Dortch)
MSU - 63rd in the country

In their 2 best wins - USC and MSU - the opposing teams each turned it over 3 times to ND's 0.

As I've said, I don't think they've faced a team like ours with our playmakers and our defense. If we turn it over 3x to ND's 0, we'll lose. But, if we have 0-1 TO, it's a wrap - ball game.
ND has heard this every week. Always an excuse by or for the other team. Miami might have a chip on their shoulder because of the lack of recognition for what they've done so far, but so does ND. Keep in mind that ND, if they beat Miami , will have beat 3 teams that are currently ranked 12th or better, and 4 teams with a top 25 ranking. If Stanford creeps back up into the rankings, that will be 5 teams. That would be pretty **** impressive.

Not discrediting them, but I think they have benefited in that area due to their solid rushing attack on offense.

Exactly.

Their defense is improved, but you can't score if you don't have the ball. They play ball control offense, which in turn helps the defense tremendously.

ND is NOT ball control. They've had about 700 plays run against the defense. That's towards the bottom of the rankings. To only be allowing 17 or 18 points per game , while playing backups starting mid third quarter, is very good. ND causes turnovers. If anything the defense helps the offense, not the other way around

Advertisement
Color me unimpressed after that Wake forest game where they were missing their Star player Dortch #89

Domers will say they got caught looking ahead to us but theyve been giving up yards and points to anyone with a pulse

Oh and this ND team is a spitting image of my dallas cowboys team who try and bully you on O by dominating TOP grinding down the opposing D with a stout line and power back.

But like dallas I dont trust their defense worth a lick when pressured

Their defense ain’t that good...
[TWEET]928078132330090496[/TWEET]
Vt defense who is top 10 in the country is much better

90th vs pass and 30th vs run. This game will come down to their run O vs our D.

Here's what's funny. Everyone and their mother knows what ND wants to do. NC State had the 6th ranked rush D. Hadn't allowed a single hundred yard rusher in two years or something crazy like that. Adams had that in the first quarter. He had 200 for the game, and Wimbush also went for 100.

Wake Forest led the country in TFL coming into the game. ND solves that. Wake knew ND wanted to run. Without Adams ND still ran for close to 400 yards.

You know you have a good team when the other team knows what you're going to do and they STILL can't stop it.

I real that ND hasn't faces and team like Miami. We heard that for USC and NC State. This is nothing new.

What you can certainly say though is that this will be the most physical team Miami plays. The best way to counter speed (which ND also has) if by punching the other team in the mouthm. I expect nothing less than a great game.

Common theme here?

Miami is actually higher than ND in Turnovers/game, and I have no problem admitting TOs are an unreliable statistic. No idea what your point is.

No specific point. You just can't use yards allowed per game as the only guage for how good a defense is. ND has allowed yards when the game is out of reach, and against 2nd teamers or worse.

There are more barometers than just total yards per game allowed to be able to judge how good a defense is. Sacks, QB hurries, turnovers caused, points responsible for and against etc, are some of those.

Advertisement
Color me unimpressed after that Wake forest game where they were missing their Star player Dortch #89

Domers will say they got caught looking ahead to us but theyve been giving up yards and points to anyone with a pulse
Excuses. ND also played without Adams for the entire game , and without Wimbush For the last quarter. ND still ran for almost 400, and totaled over 700 yards of offense. If one player makes or breaks your team, there's an issue

Oh and this ND team is a spitting image of my dallas cowboys team who try and bully you on O by dominating TOP grinding down the opposing D with a stout line and power back.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you think ND is a TOp offense because you read that on the board. ND has the ability to run the clock if they need to thanks to their offensive line, like when they ran out the final 8 minutes of the clock the other day. However they are 80 something in the country in TOP. Doesn't seem like a ball hoarding offense to me.

Last year they were horrible. How the bleep did they improve so fast or are they overrated? Hope our Offense doesn't come out like they did against ND last year. Good god that was terrible.

Snoke and mirrors....when u control the ground game the way they do it eats the clock and makes it look like there good. If time of possession is close to even or 32-28 then we r winning this game.l because that means we stopped there geound game.

Advertisement

Here's what's funny. Everyone and their mother knows what ND wants to do. NC State had the 6th ranked rush D. Hadn't allowed a single hundred yard rusher in two years or something crazy like that. Adams had that in the first quarter. He had 200 for the game, and Wimbush also went for 100.

Wake Forest led the country in TFL coming into the game. ND solves that. Wake knew ND wanted to run. Without Adams ND still ran for close to 400 yards.

You know you have a good team when the other team knows what you're going to do and they STILL can't stop it.

I real that ND hasn't faces and team like Miami. We heard that for USC and NC State. This is nothing new.

What you can certainly say though is that this will be the most physical team Miami plays. The best way to counter speed (which ND also has) if by punching the other team in the mouthm. I expect nothing less than a great game.

But wasn't Miami's speed their biggest advantage in a world of college football built around trying to "punch the other team in the mouth"? It's the Miami philosophy: Speed and quickness over strength

But wasn't Miami's speed their biggest advantage in a world of college football built around trying to "punch the other team in the mouth"? It's the Miami philosophy: Speed and quickness over strength
That's why those games in the 80s were so good. ND and Miami played to each of their strengths. Sometimes ND won, sometimes it was UM. Great times.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you think ND is a TOp offense because you read that on the board. ND has the ability to run the clock if they need to thanks to their offensive line, like when they ran out the final 8 minutes of the clock the other day. However they are 80 something in the country in TOP. Doesn't seem like a ball hoarding offense to me.

That is because ND breaks a lot of big plays..they can easily go on 10-12 play drive 80 yards as they can 2 plays.. ADAMS has more long Runs than any RB except maybe GA gm seems like he has broken long run every week..Wimbush can take it to House as well if D overcommits see draw last week..

I can tell you get high or drunk? what you smoking? we don't **** with that meth **** over here

Advertisement
Back