ND and Bowl money

caneworld

Junior
A question for those in the know...

Does ND share it's football playoff revenue with ACC or do they get to keep all the money if they make the playoffs?

That is a ton of money if they make it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pretty sure ND is not affiliated with the conference in football only so they get to keep it.

Pretty sure ND is not affiliated with the conference in football only so they get to keep it.

We used to do that. When Schnellenberger won the National Championship - that was ten years before UM joined the Big East.

We were independent, and we played all over the country - and UM football was like a national flying circus. We got lots of games, lots of television exposure - even though there were only three primary networks.

I always thought that joining a conference - the Big East, and later the ACC was a bit of a mistake. That independence meant we got great national exposure, we were in great television demand, and we kept what we were paid.

Those were good days.

Advertisement

We used to do that. When Schnellenberger won the National Championship - that was ten years before UM joined the Big East.

We were independent, and we played all over the country - and UM football was like a national flying circus. We got lots of games, lots of television exposure - even though there were only three primary networks.

I always thought that joining a conference - the Big East, and later the ACC was a bit of a mistake. That independence meant we got great national exposure, we were in great television demand, and we kept what we were paid.

Those were good days.

I remember'em like they were yesterday.

You are wrong and totally ignorant of the realities of big time athletics.

"you are wrong, but I won't explain why" - doppelganger

Advertisement

You really need it explained to you why staying an Independent would've been a bad idea?

Miami lived and died by the revenue of the football program. The administration made the right call when they leveraged the football program to get into the best basketball conference in America (Big East). Then they did it again in 2003 to get into a bigger and more stable conference (ACC).

Now going forward we're in one of the two or three best conferences in college athletics.

Miami didn't have the fan base to sustain a "down" period while being an Independent. What do you think would've happened from 1995-99? Or 2006-15?

There's a reason why there's only one major independent and that's Notre Dame.

Advertisement

Those were good days.

That was the good old days. Us, ND, FSU and PSU were big boy independent back then. I always thought the 4 of us should have started our own conference rather than join another if we wanted to be in one.

You really need it explained to you why staying an Independent would've been a bad idea?

Miami lived and died by the revenue of the football program. The administration made the right call when they leveraged the football program to get into the best basketball conference in America (Big East). Then they did it again in 2003 to get into a bigger and more stable conference (ACC).

Now going forward we're in one of the two or three best conferences in college athletics.

Miami didn't have the fan base to sustain a "down" period while being an Independent. What do you think would've happened from 1995-99? Or 2006-15?

Why couldn't Miami work like ND?

Edit: Nevermind, I saw your answer. Thank you

Edit: Sorry for needing it explained to me :(

Advertisement

Those were good days.

That was the good old days. Us, ND, FSU and PSU were big boy independent back then. I always thought the 4 of us should have started our own conference rather than join another if we wanted to be in one.

Honestly that would probably be easy and effective today. Create the independent conference. With the new conference championship rules you can have a championship game if it is between the division winners who play a full division round-robin schedule. If we created a 4 team independent conference, you could make one division ND & PSU and the other Miami & FSU. The winner of those two rivalry games get to meet for a conference championship, giving the committee the 13th game they want. The teams would only have one required game on their schedule then.

"Then I'll post 847 more times complaining that you just can't stand when somebody disagrees while calling you a snowflake 223 times."
-doppelganger

Those were good days.

Honestly that would probably be easy and effective today. Create the independent conference. With the new conference championship rules you can have a championship game if it is between the division winners who play a full division round-robin schedule. If we created a 4 team independent conference, you could make one division ND & PSU and the other Miami & FSU. The winner of those two rivalry games get to meet for a conference championship, giving the committee the 13th game they want. The teams would only have one required game on their schedule then.

Not bad. As a plus it would have a sectional rivalry thing going North vs South and massive TV market. Wonder what size TV contract we could get and only split 4 ways? Basketball would suffer but does anyone at any of the 4 schools really care, I mean really.

Why couldn't Miami work like ND?

Edit: Nevermind, I saw your answer. Thank you

Edit: Sorry for needing it explained to me :(

Well cot****, Doppy. You finally won one. Hat tip to you sir.

Advertisement
Back