ND and Bowl money

Pretty sure ND is not affiliated with the conference in football only so they get to keep it.

We used to do that. When Schnellenberger won the National Championship - that was ten years before UM joined the Big East.

We were independent, and we played all over the country - and UM football was like a national flying circus. We got lots of games, lots of television exposure - even though there were only three primary networks.

I always thought that joining a conference - the Big East, and later the ACC was a bit of a mistake. That independence meant we got great national exposure, we were in great television demand, and we kept what we were paid.

Those were good days.

That was the good old days. Us, ND, FSU and PSU were big boy independent back then. I always thought the 4 of us should have started our own conference rather than join another if we wanted to be in one.

Honestly that would probably be easy and effective today. Create the independent conference. With the new conference championship rules you can have a championship game if it is between the division winners who play a full division round-robin schedule. If we created a 4 team independent conference, you could make one division ND & PSU and the other Miami & FSU. The winner of those two rivalry games get to meet for a conference championship, giving the committee the 13th game they want. The teams would only have one required game on their schedule then.

Not bad. As a plus it would have a sectional rivalry thing going North vs South and massive TV market. Wonder what size TV contract we could get and only split 4 ways? Basketball would suffer but does anyone at any of the 4 schools really care, I mean really.

The rest doesn't even matter. The schools could move their other sports to different conferences like ND does and each team could sell their own TV rights. It would literally be a free market approach with the football loophole allowing us a 13th game when any of the teams would be in contention.

Advertisement
I always thought that joining a conference - the Big East, and later the ACC was a bit of a mistake. That independence meant we got great national exposure, we were in great television demand, and we kept what we were paid.

You are wrong and totally ignorant of the realities of big time athletics.

You say that because you're a complete dumbass.

It's difficult to call another poster a complete dumbass - but you sure do have a lot of bad luck thinking.

You know, if you keep your mouth shut - nobody would know.

You just like to argue - and I don't know if momma ignored you as a little boy, or if she dressed you funny - but you got some personality problems that if we got into correct terminology - would be really hard to pronounce.

Advertisement
Back