NCAA Tournament thread

I think the whole notion that players should come to UM because Coral Gables and the campus are beautiful has been proven to be false. Otherwise, we’d be able to sell ourselves in all major sports which clearly we aren’t able to do.
I hear what you are saying about our location. And in these times, I suspect you are correct that the weather and beaches and campus may not have much "draw" with recruits. A quick personal anecdote.

I transferred, as just another student, to UM in 1964; graduated in 1966. "Sun Tan U" -- the image and reality -- were in full effect! A Jaguar XKE was the car of choice on Fraternity Row. Maybe 60% of the student body was from the Middle Atlantic and Northeast. A decent percentage more from the Midwest. Or, so it seemed.

No idea of how many local commuters, but there weren't many Hispanic students (what there were, seemed as likely to be from South America as from South Florida).

The UM Admissions Office (understanding the school needed to embark on a costly, major building program) admitted anyone who could pay. (I base that on my own poor grades I got accepted with, as well as similar stories from classmates). Basketball players (in those days, all Caucasian) who were not in a frat, or living off-campus, lived in the same 3 BR student apartments as the rest of us.

My Junior year, three basketball players lived in the apartment above me. They were from cold weather states and all came to UM because of the school's reputation, and the sub-tropical attractions. They told me as much, and that they liked Coach Bruce Hale's up-tempo offense (averaged around 100 points a game).

One player spent most of his free time at the beach at Crandon Park, another liked Tropical Park (or whatever race meeting was on); and the third guy I'd see with one of those silver reflector boards catching "rays" up on the building's flat roof.

I didn't personally ever speak with Rick Barry (still in 2021 our premier College/ABA/NBA Hall of Famer) when I'd see him walking around campus (occasionally in his Iron Arrow jacket -- he was a great student as well as athlete). I've read, though, that the Miami scene played a part (maybe a big one) in his choosing Miami.

Advertisement
Baylor looked better tonight and Saturday than they did when I saw them in round 1.... Relentless

Advertisement
OVERRATED, OVERHYPED This kind of epic beatdown always seems to happen whenever sports writers and commentators unite and wistfully lock onto some team for the wrong reasons.

Dont get me wrong Gonzaga was a very good team. Their problems of having a weak conference, rarely facing high quality competition were not of their own making. Winning 30+ straight games in whatever conference has to be applauded. But we got a glimpse of that lack of facing top competitors when they played #11 UCLA and bsrely escaped.

Their ONLY hope was for Baylor to be completely off of their game because the talent difference was loud and clear....and there's never anything wrong with cheering for Cinderella. Only in this case it was Goldilocks and those Bears were not to be messed with.

Last edited:
The physicality of Baylor was the biggest difference in the National Championship game.
Talent wise, both teams are about equal but the obvious difference is the amount of time Baylor spends in the weight room.
Something we all need to take note on for next season.

Physicality, speed, quickness, hops, confidence, shooting, rebounding, defense...😳etc etc in short, everything players want to have.

The difference was stark. Everyone at that level can play ball BUT Gonzaga looked like they were old men playing teenagers

I didn't see this beatdown coming but .... BYU had a first half against the Zags back in the regular season that made a lot of viewers (including myself) wonder about their perimeter defense. Zags were all about outscoring opponents.

Vital, the wide body 6'5, 250 post player, destroyed Timme at 6'10, inside.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back