MEGA NCAA Tournament - Omaha Schedule on page 19

Advertisement
Fielding we have def been a really pleasant surprise. Yo yo has stepped up huge. pitelli and Cj are as good as you’ll find. Cyr makes me more nervous on routine plays then when he is moving and his turns are a touch slow. Our current OF with Long is solid. Our pitchers do a good job of holding runners.

Who knows how things turn out but between regionals I don’t see a team just bombarding us or a staff that just shuts us down on pure stuff. This year if we go 1-2 in regionals it will truly be due shooting ourselves in the foot in some phase. Which def could happen…but let’s hope we can at least make it to Omaha before we just get truly out played by teams with more depth in all phases while we have Freshman own arms trying to put out fires.

Pitching depth IMO is really only a concern in Regionals. I dont like our chances if we lose Game 1 or 2.

With Supers and the way Omaha is scheduled, we can ride a handful of arms. **** Michigan got to the last game of the champ series a few years ago using only 3 pitchers after Regionals

Okay, you just didn't read my post that you responded to. Rosario and Gallo are essentially the same 7.00 ERA pitcher. We have to either roll the dice with one of them against Maine, or we rely on one of them to beat a legit #2/#3 seed.
Ya, I guess it's almost a coin toss at this point. I'm just more comfortable w the guy who throws more strikes against a 4 seed. We'll find out in a few days.

Yeah. I pulled up their press releases for the first two weekends of the softball tournament and there was a note that all games would be simulcast on ESPN+. Might be different for baseball, although it would be ****** for LHN considering it’s a regional network.

Guys you can look on ESPN's upcoming streaming sked for Friday, it's both:

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 7.51.41 PM.png

Advertisement
Fielding we have def been a really pleasant surprise. Yo yo has stepped up huge. pitelli and Cj are as good as you’ll find. Cyr makes me more nervous on routine plays then when he is moving and his turns are a touch slow. Our current OF with Long is solid. Our pitchers do a good job of holding runners.

Who knows how things turn out but between regionals I don’t see a team just bombarding us or a staff that just shuts us down on pure stuff. This year if we go 1-2 in regionals it will truly be due shooting ourselves in the foot in some phase. Which def could happen…but let’s hope we can at least make it to Omaha before we just get truly out played by teams with more depth in all phases while we have Freshman own arms trying to put out fires.
Losing this regional is a fireable offense.

Advertisement
Zero sunshine in AOD. Stoic. That’s how you want a pitcher.

Regional tix = 60 bucks for all sessions.

I like our chances in this regional. Pretty solid draw considering we could have been looking at Tennessee as the 2 in our bracket.

I know a lot about Texas because a good friend of mine is Chris Gordon who is on staff there - came from Duke. He mentored me and worked with me in high school off-seasons while he was at a small NAIA program around here. We've stayed in touch for several years now.

They have 2 solid starters. Lucas Gordon doesn't have great stuff but he's effective. He's been getting hit a little bit more of late. Lebarron Johnson has legit stuff - mid 90s fastball, slider that sits in the low 90s. He also has a hard low 90s split - he's pretty dominant when he has that going. His downfall is he's very upright and doesn't get extension on his pitches. So he's inconsistent, lacks command, and isn't very deceptive in his delivery. Lots of those types of guys have trouble adapting to the mound and environment at Mark Light. Tough to pitch in high heat, humidity, and I've heard the mound is just different. Not much explanation but that it is tough to adapt to. Chris actually told me that while being the pitching coach at Duke, so having been here plenty as an opponent he could have them prepared for that transition as much as possible.

Big fall-off to their number 3-4 guys that start games. 2 solid arms in the bullpen but neither with legit strikeout stuff. They lack a dominant bullpen arm. One of the best fielding teams in the country (interesting regional - despite fielding .979, Miami is the 3rd best fielding team in the regional.. Texas was .980 and ULL was .982). Texas and ULL can swing it but not at Miami's level.

If I was managing this team.. I'm going Rosario game 1 - teams like Maine don't see 95 very often. He would probably cruise through them but I'd worry about his control. I'd start him but he'd be on a short leash. Maine will throw a soft lefty who we will absolutely mash or a true freshman righty who didn't even start games until the end of the year but he's been their best arm. Either of them should get crushed.

Maine has 3 guys that hit 16+ homeruns.. they hit 1-2-3. 1-2 also stole 38 and 32 bags, respectively. Their 4 hitter has been good as well but not nearly the power threat. After that, they're not very good offensively.

ULL is a very old and mature team. Those teams are always dangerous in the post-season. Top heavy lineup. Not a ton of power, in terms of homeruns, but they hit a lot of doubles and triples, and steal a TON of bases (3rd in the country). Very mediocre starting pitching and bullpen.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I like our chances in this regional. Pretty solid draw considering we could have been looking at Tennessee as the 2 in our bracket.

I know a lot about Texas because a good friend of mine is Chris Gordon who is on staff there - came from Duke. He mentored me and worked with me in high school off-seasons while he was at a small NAIA program around here. We've stayed in touch for several years now.

They have 2 solid starters. Lucas Gordon doesn't have great stuff but he's effective. He's been getting hit a little bit more of late. Lebarron Johnson has legit stuff - mid 90s fastball, slider that sits in the low 90s. He also has a hard low 90s split - he's pretty dominant when he has that going. His downfall is he's very upright and doesn't get extension on his pitches. So he's inconsistent, lacks command, and isn't very deceptive in his delivery. Lots of those types of guys have trouble adapting to the mound and environment at Mark Light. Tough to pitch in high heat, humidity, and I've heard the mound is just different. Not much explanation but that it is tough to adapt to. Chris actually told me that while being the pitching coach at Duke, so having been here plenty as an opponent he could have them prepared for that transition as much as possible.

Big fall-off to their number 3-4 guys that start games. 2 solid arms in the bullpen but neither with legit strikeout stuff. They lack a dominant bullpen arm. One of the best fielding teams in the country (interesting regional - despite fielding .979, Miami is the 3rd best fielding team in the regional.. Texas was .980 and ULL was .982). Texas and ULL can swing it but not at Miami's level.

If I was managing this team.. I'm going Rosario game 1 - teams like Maine don't see 95 very often. He would probably cruise through them but I'd worry about his control. I'd start him but he'd be on a short leash. Maine will throw a soft lefty who we will absolutely mash or a true freshman righty who didn't even start games until the end of the year but he's been their best arm. Either of them should get crushed.

Maine has 3 guys that hit 16+ homeruns.. they hit 1-2-3. 1-2 also stole 38 and 32 bags, respectively. Their 4 hitter has been good as well but not nearly the power threat. After that, they're not very good offensively.

ULL is a very old and mature team. Those teams are always dangerous in the post-season. Top heavy lineup. Not a ton of power, in terms of homeruns, but they hit a lot of doubles and triples, and steal a TON of bases (3rd in the country). Very mediocre starting pitching and bullpen.
Emphasis on mediocre starting pitching and bullpen. Very mediocre when looking at the season, a little better in the past few weeks.

What a farce - the conference has 4 teams in the top 9, including #1!, and they choose to air the two lesser teams w NC in their name.
On the surface you’re correct, but good 2-3 matchups always get priority bc more eyes will be on them. Nobody is attracted to a Miami/Maine blowout outside of those fan bases. State/Campbell is a legit matchup and UNC/Iowa is one of the best 2-3 matchups on the board.

Coral Gables Forecast
Friday
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 2pm, then showers and thunderstorms between 2pm and 5pm, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 5pm. High near 84. Northwest wind 6 to 9 mph becoming east in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Friday Night
Showers and thunderstorms likely before 8pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 8pm and 2am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. Southwest wind around 7 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8am, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 8am and 2pm, then showers and thunderstorms likely after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Northwest wind 7 to 13 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Saturday Night
Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. Southeast wind around 10 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Sunday
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.
Sunday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 74.
Monday
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Sunny, with a high near 87.
Monday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 74.

Advertisement
Back