NCAA looking to change early signing day??

Hurricane4lyfe

recruit
Thoughts on the changes coming to early signing day are on the way might be going back to just February.. because of all the coaching changes NCAA wants to make sure schools have time to recover from coaching changes lol thoughts on this???

Advertisement
I don't really have a problem with it. I think it makes sense to let the variables shake out before anything is signed anyway. Coaching changes, players going pro, transfer portal etc all impact wether a recruit would want to be somewhere.

I don't have a problem necessarily with an early signing day as long as changes to the school you sign with can mean a release, but that kind of puts the school in a bind if there is an out from that kind of commitment so probably safer to just sign after the carousel.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The NCAA review committee or whatever it is were talking about this apparently. Potentially moving it to January at least.

Probably saw that coaches would leave teams even if they were in off contention (cough* Kelly) before any bowl games were played and saw it hurting their bottom line.

Thoughts on the changes coming to early signing day are on the way might be going back to just February.. because of all the coaching changes NCAA wants to make sure schools have time to recover from coaching changes lol thoughts on this???

Would love to see:

---Early Signing Day in the first week of January, so kids still have time to enroll
---"Late" Signing Day pushed back from February to April, so that recruits could go on official visits OUTSIDE of their senior year high school seasons

And, yes, that would all dovetail better with coaching changes.

This was talked about; I think the ramifications of all these coaches bailing before bowl games have ppl shook. These coaches r leaving b/c they have like 2 weeks to prepare for their new job, and now the clock is ticking.

Advertisement
Would love to see:

---Early Signing Day in the first week of January, so kids still have time to enroll
---"Late" Signing Day pushed back from February to April, so that recruits could go on official visits OUTSIDE of their senior year high school seasons

This would make only too much sense if they had changed the scholarship limits per class, penalties on ICs for transfers, etc.

Hence why we won't see it.

A competent NCAA would come up with a 'league year' schedule but I have no faith that they would actually be able to come up with a comprehensive plan. They probably will just make a small tweak that only creates a new problem somewhere else.

Some half baked ideas:

- Portal dead period - No names can be added to the portal from Labor Day through Conference CG Saturday. Once the season starts your team is your team.
- Recruiting Dead Period for 1 week after Conference CG Saturday - Allow for the coaching carousel to happen and coaches will not be on the road while considering other jobs.
- Open Signing Period - Get rid of two "signing days" and just have an open period. Open it early enough in Jan that kids can sign and enroll early if they want. Sign / transfer anytime you are ready through Feb.

Advertisement
Would love to see:

This

Would love to see:

100% agree, adding Early LOIs can only be signed by eligible players AND are only valid if the player enrolls early. Move the second signing day to the week of the NFL draft, since players and E$PN can make a show of it. Not a fan of that part, but it’s where we are these days.

I would also create portal transfer periods, December and May.

This was talked about; I think the ramifications of all these coaches bailing before bowl games have ppl shook. These coaches r leaving b/c they have like 2 weeks to prepare for their new job, and now the clock is ticking.
About time. I concur big

Advertisement
Back