NCAA looking to change early signing day??

A competent NCAA would come up with a 'league year' schedule but I have no faith that they would actually be able to come up with a comprehensive plan. They probably will just make a small tweak that only creates a new problem somewhere else.

Some half baked ideas:

- Portal dead period - No names can be added to the portal from Labor Day through Conference CG Saturday. Once the season starts your team is your team.
- Recruiting Dead Period for 1 week after Conference CG Saturday - Allow for the coaching carousel to happen and coaches will not be on the road while considering other jobs.
- Open Signing Period - Get rid of two "signing days" and just have an open period. Open it early enough in Jan that kids can sign and enroll early if they want. Sign / transfer anytime you are ready through Feb.
Would be interesting to see how coaches, schools and fans feel about an open signing period.
I don’t know that coaches would love it. It means you are living on the edge for 2 months with 1 misstep on social media cause if a kid to sign somewhere else. I know that happens now, but there is no pen to paper majority of the time those things happen.
As a fan being drip fed commitments, recommitment and de commitments for 2 months would be annoying I think.

I get that the players (should) hold the ultimate power here. And it may not change things dramatically. I just like the finite aspect of “signing day”.

Feel free to blast away on that. I’m not even sure how I feel about what I wrote here

Advertisement
The NCAA review committee or whatever it is were talking about this apparently. Potentially moving it to January at least.

Probably saw that coaches would leave teams even if they were in off contention (cough* Kelly) before any bowl games were played and saw it hurting their bottom line.
I’m sure the only two things that would get them to move it are their bottom line and if the current date favors Miami in some way.

Advertisement
Back