NCAA Bans Camps

The ACC wanted for the ban as well so you just can't blame the SEC. Basically they didn't want northern schools coming to the south and setting up camps. This would allow kids to show their stuff to coaches from out of state which is good for the kids. In the end I think the decision is bad for the player and since half this board is pro player and thinks they should be paid then they should hate this ruling. Either way I don't see how it stops a college like Michigan from paying lets say Bathune-Cookman to allow the Michigan coaches to attend their camps as guest instructors and offer kids.

thats what it is stopping for the most part. Those are the satellite camps. I went to FAMU camp last year down here...and the camp had coaches for colorado, umass, utah, iowa state...etc

This is going to hurt the smaller school prospects who get looks the mid major kids...

Benefit to us regardless..because for the most part we dont benefit from camps anyway...and dont hold them outside our area...or send coaches outside our area to camp.....maybe that coaching clinic they planned in Maryland will be affected

Advertisement
The ACC wanted for the ban as well so you just can't blame the SEC. Basically they didn't want northern schools coming to the south and setting up camps. This would allow kids to show their stuff to coaches from out of state which is good for the kids. In the end I think the decision is bad for the player and since half this board is pro player and thinks they should be paid then they should hate this ruling. Either way I don't see how it stops a college like Michigan from paying lets say Bathune-Cookman to allow the Michigan coaches to attend their camps as guest instructors and offer kids.

I am PRO PLAYER and do not agree that they should be paid.
In fact, to advocate players getting paid would actually be ANTI-player as it would kill a significant number of programs, probably force NCAA
to cut down the number of total scholarships (from 85) and all of this would be to the detriment of the marginal Div1A player.
Some of our fans need to take courses on economics (smh).

Camps are not really needed to give lessor known kids exposure.
You have the internet, social media, etc.
This isn't the 1980s anymore.

Anyways, these northern teams should not be allowed to set-up shop in our backyard.
Period.

My problem with this isn't so much about those coaches wanting to recruit in our backyard. My question is if you know that Florida is a hotbed for elite talent then why would you turn down a Job at the University of Miami for so many years? None of these coaches were trying to breakdown the door to coach in the center of the pot. To be fare not even Richt, Saban, Meyer or Harbaugh. What has changed? Don't tell me money because each could have made the same demands as Richt. And it can't be because they are just noticing the talent here because most have been recruiting here for years. So what has changed?

Last edited:
My problem with this isn't so much about those coaches wanting to recruit in our backyard. My question is if you know that Florida is a hotbed for elite talent then why would you turn down a Job at the University of Miami for so many years? None of these coaches were trying to breakdown the door to coach in the center of the pot. To be fare not even Richt, Saban, Meyer or Harbaugh. What has changed? Don't tell me money because each could have made the same demands as Richt. And it can't be because they are just noticing the talent here because most have been recruiting here for years. So what has changed?

Landscape has changed.
In the past, coaches jumped at jobs primarily for football reasons, and considerably less for non-football reasons such
as location of school (quality-of-life,etc), salary, game-day atmosphere,etc.

Look at coaches like Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson when we nabbed them from OKState and Wazzu.
These days, those sort of coaches would have had alot of options to go anywhere they want, to work in
areas where their family wants to reside an so on.
As it turns out, JJ loves soFla so we caught a break with him, but I don't think he was looking at UM for those
reasons back in 1983. He wanted to go somewhere where he had a chance to win big, a program with a
higher ceiling that OKSt, and that was UM.
These days, many schools have alot to offer because of the TV contracts, conference affiliations, commitments
by the school, boosters, etc.
UM doesn't compare in some of those areas, although it is one of the few schools where you still have a realistic
chance of winning big because of its backyard and tradition.

I disagree. Here is why, every time Miami had an opening every sports media painted Miami as the worst job to have. So Miami had to settle for less proven coaches. But as soon as Richt pulled the trigger and took Miami up on its third offer everybody's tune changed and Miami became the best job with all of the qualities you listed above. Which I suspect would have been the same tune for the others as well.

I am more inclined to believe that there are more changes that are coming regarding recruiting rules or transfer rules that may impact eligibility. I think lower tier players and recruits that transfer out of D1 programs will not be able to transfer as easily to develop and comeback to D1 and play. And this includes the JC players moving up to D1 programs. So I think that's why these teams really want to get down here and take a hard look at these guys before a) they take them and b) compete on an equal basis with the three big schools UF, FSU and UM when they all become strong again. I really think its much bigger than wanting to hold camps down here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I disagree. Here is why, everytime Miami had an opening every sports media painted Miami as the worst job to have. So Miami had to settle for less proven coaches. But as soon as Richt pulled the trigger and took Miami up on its third offer everybody's tune changed and Miami became the best job with all of the qaulities you listed above.

I am more incline to believe that there are more changes that are coming regarding recruiting rules or transfer rules that may impact eligibility. I think lower tier players and recruits that transfer out of D1 programs will not be able to transfer as easily to develop and comeback to D1 and play. So I think that's why these teams really want to get down here and take a hard look at these guys before a) they take them and b) compete on an equal basis with the three big school UF, USF and UM when they all become strong again.

UM was never as bad a job as the lazy, and often heavily biased, idiots in the media wanted us to believe.
I don't pay attention to those cretins and that really isn't a good discussion point, just like it is dumb to believe
that "no one wanted" this job when we've had openings at HC.
Again, more lazy thinking, and I think some of that also came from certain folks n the UM AD who were trying to
deflect from the incompetence permeating that office.

Having said all of this, not everyone wants to work in soFla.
Sure, they don't mind coming down to recruit and perhaps play in a bowl game.
But alot of the elite coaches hail from small-towns and/or deep south, and are not crazy about
living down there for several reasons.
I think some of our fans sometimes overstate how desirable our program is.
It is a very good job, but it is not for everyone.
And like I said in my previous post, landscape these days has changed.
You can work at alot of non-Florida schools and still have access to Florida prep talent.

Like I wrote before whoever wrote the NCAA "targeting" rule I am taking back my "NCAA Getta outta Jail Free" card! The people old enough to remember when you could see a player hit another and not risk losing your eligibility? "Leading with your head" and trying to paralyze someone is one thing. However go back and watch those ejections again (Not just at Miami OSU's Bosa was robbed in the bowl game too). What kind of subjective bullsh*t bureaucratic calls are that? I just want my normal Saturday football unfiltered but I guess that is too much to ask? How many times would Sean Taylor gotten ejected for targeting today? I don't have enough fingers to count! I have 1 finger left for the "rules committee" (note the lower case)!

When Kanye West is #1 in the charts you tell me the state of affairs in this country! I mean not all is lost but we are working on it. Between the celebration, taunting and targeting rules I am waiting for a "bad look" rule or "bully" rule. Yes bullying infractions are where you can't make fun of your teammates anymore without being labeled "a bully"! Someone might "defriend" you and instigate an online crisis!

In fact, to advocate players getting paid would actually be ANTI-player as it would kill a significant number of programs, probably force NCAA
to cut down the number of total scholarships (from 85) and all of this would be to the detriment of the marginal Div1A player.

Anyways, these northern teams should not be allowed to set-up shop in our backyard.
Period.

You obviously aren't from a rural area. Kids in these area's often don't have HUDL and their parents don't have video cameras to even record their play. A matter of fact a lot of coaches in these areas forbid their players from uploading film online. Often the only way these kids get noticed is playing schools in more populated areas during the playoffs or their coaching sending in film. The difference to having a profile vs being a 3 star recruit is often just going to 1 camp. I would like to see schools setup mini camps in rural areas so these kids have a chance to get noticed.

Period.

You obviously aren't from a rural area. Kids in these area's often don't have HUDL and their parents don't have video cameras to even record their play. A matter of fact a lot of coaches in these areas forbid their players from uploading film online. Often the only way these kids get noticed is playing schools in more populated areas during the playoffs or their coaching sending in film. The difference to having a profile vs being a 3 star recruit is often just going to 1 camp. I would like to see schools setup mini camps in rural areas so these kids have a chance to get noticed.

Then let the Georgia schools set-up camps in rural GA, and that could nvolve UGA in conjunction with the smaller Georgia programs, same with the
Florida schools, Alabama schools and so on.
No need to have Nebraska, Tennesse or one of the many Big10 schools setting up shop in my home-state.
They can GTFO with that nonsense.

Advertisement

Period.

Then let the Georgia schools set-up camps in rural GA, and that could nvolve UGA in conjunction with the smaller Georgia programs, same with the
No need to have Nebraska, Tennesse or one of the many Big10 schools setting up shop in my home-state.

So UGA can set a camp op in South GA which is 6 hours from campus but won't be able to set a camp up in South Carolina which is 2 hours away? Perhaps Miami's issue isn't schools setting up camps or getting players from south Florida but rather who was the last stud we pulled from Columbus OH or Birmingham AL.

Let em go up to Ann Arbor for spring visits and enjoy the weather. Better yet send them up in December.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This seems like an opportunity for more camps run by apparel companies like Nike and Under-Amour.

Just thought of something; if you draw a 50 mile radius around CG the overwhelming area(I would guesstimate about 75% would either be underwater or Everglades. So the only way this rule can be fair is if it by equivalent area. Many schools aould be similarly effected. Such as USCw, UCLA, BC, Tulane, Michigan, Washington, etc. Miami should immediately seek clarification.

Advertisement
Just thought of something; if you draw a 50 mile radius around CG the overwhelming area(I would guesstimate about 75% would either be underwater or Everglades. So the only way this rule can be fair is if it by equivalent area. Many schools aould be similarly effected. Such as USCw, UCLA, BC, Tulane, Michigan, Washington, etc. Miami should immediately seek clarification.

Not really.
I think there has been a similar rule in place regarding recruiting where the host school is not allowed to take recruits on official
visits anywhere over 50 miles.
I remember this as far back as 1984 when a recruit visiting UM (from PA) wanted to fly out of Ft.Myers at the end of visit because he
had some family in that area, and he was told that was not allowed.
And I think one of the allegations during the early 1990s was that a recruit was taken down to the Keys for some fishing.

Period.

So UGA can set a camp op in South GA which is 6 hours from campus but won't be able to set a camp up in South Carolina which is 2 hours away? Perhaps Miami's issue isn't schools setting up camps or getting players from south Florida but rather who was the last stud we pulled from Columbus OH or Birmingham AL.

Whatever.
Bottom line is the ban on camps is good for UM.
Otherwise, if the ban is not in place, you will have every major program from all over the country "adopting" local soFla high schools so they
can get their hairy grimy paws in UM's backyard?
Do you really want this?
As for the camps helping kids in rural areas....are you serious with that nonsense?
Kids from fecking Samoa, Australia, Europe and Canada are popping up on college football rosters.
Cry me a river about a kid in rural Georgia not having access to HUDL.

You know what really hurts kids trying to earn college football scholarships?
Bad grades and the so-called "adults" who are mentoring them.
Also, ****ie9 folks who want to bring down the number of total scholarships from 85
would not be of much help to these kids either.

Advertisement
Back