NC STATE @ MIAMI(-3.5) 2PM SAT. DEC 10, RSN, ACCNX (also BALLY SPORTS S)

We are 43 Kenpom, so it's no surprise we're not ranked. I'm not sure we've beaten a team that would be in the field of 68 if the tournament started today.

The only ranking system dumber than the old BCS computers is Kenpom.

You know who is ranked 11 spots ahead of us in kenpom? The 6-4 Rutgers team that we beat.

I wrote a post about it a while back. Kenpom rewards teams who run up the score and punishes teams whose coaches care about wins & losses and player development rather than margin of victory.

Fortunately, our strength of record rank is 9… which is actually one of the metrics used by the selection committee I believe.

Advertisement
The only ranking system dumber than the old BCS computers is Kenpom.

You know who is ranked 11 spots ahead of us in kenpom? The 6-4 Rutgers team that we beat.

I wrote a post about it a while back. Kenpom rewards teams who run up the score and punishes teams whose coaches care about wins & losses and player development rather than margin of victory.

Fortunately, our strength of record rank is 9… which is actually one of the metrics used by the selection committee I believe.

I mean, it's indisputable at this point that Kenpom is remarkably predictive.

Your anecdote about Rutgers is not convincing - we beat them in 1 game, at home, that was tied with 90 seconds left. It's not clear at all that we are the better team (though I do think we will prove to be).

Yes, somehow, beating a team by 30 vs by 15 has statically been proven to be indicative of future success. It may seem to just be "running up the score", but it's meaningful.

But hey don't take my word for it. There's a reason the Vegas spreads are always extremely close to the Kenpom predictions. And if you still don't buy it, save your energy and move to Vegas. You'd make a killing if you're the only guy who realizes Kenpom is BS.

Did you have cable?
Hulu live didn't have it. Or I just couldn't find it.

All good. If you have a streaming service, then I don't think your market matters. Having just moved to Atlanta, I was glad to be able to get the game.

Advertisement
I mean, it's indisputable at this point that Kenpom is remarkably predictive.

Your anecdote about Rutgers is not convincing - we beat them in 1 game, at home, that was tied with 90 seconds left. It's not clear at all that we are the better team (though I do think we will prove to be).

Yes, somehow, beating a team by 30 vs by 15 has statically been proven to be indicative of future success. It may seem to just be "running up the score", but it's meaningful.

But hey don't take my word for it. There's a reason the Vegas spreads are always extremely close to the Kenpom predictions. And if you still don't buy it, save your energy and move to Vegas. You'd make a killing if you're the only guy who realizes Kenpom is BS.

How predictive was kenpom for last year’s Miami team?

It’s a badly flawed ranking system because it literally ignores win/loss record and punishes a coach/team for developing players/chemistry at the expense of efficiency (ie margin of victory).

This year we moved up 15 spots after the Louisville game… because the way to game the ranking system is to RUTS.

Of course there is no perfect ranking system and there will be anomalous results, but a ranking system that ignores who wins and loses is not a legitimate ranking system.

It’s weird that college football quickly figured this out with the old BCS but college basketball is still stuck in 2000.

EDIT: And it wasn’t just Miami last year. Kenpom/efficiency metrics drove the narrative that the ACC was a bad conference last year. And the SEC was a basketball powerhouse. Oops. LOL.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not sure which part you don't understand.

The fact that they DID update the Ws and Ls...

...or the fact that they HAVE NOT YET updated the actual rankings (1-25
Not sure which part you don't understand.

The fact that they DID update the Ws and Ls...

...or the fact that they HAVE NOT YET updated the actual rankings (1-25).
Wait so they go so far as to updated the W and Ls of teams before the official coaches poll is released? Literally why lol

How predictive was kenpom for last year’s Miami team?

It’s a badly flawed ranking system because it literally ignores win/loss record and punishes a coach/team for developing players/chemistry at the expense of efficiency (ie margin of victory).

This year we moved up 15 spots after the Louisville game… because the way to game the ranking system is to RUTS.

Of course there is no perfect ranking system and there will be anomalous results, but a ranking system that ignores who wins and loses is not a legitimate ranking system.

It’s weird that college football quickly figured this out with the old BCS but college basketball is still stuck in 2000.

EDIT: And it wasn’t just Miami last year. Kenpom/efficiency metrics drove the narrative that the ACC was a bad conference last year. And the SEC was a basketball powerhouse. Oops. LOL.

Miami was seeded 10th. The humans that seeded Miami were as wrong as Kenpom. Also, we all know March is a complete crap shoot. If that USC shot is 6 inches to the right, we lose in the first round. St Peter's wasn't one of the 8 best teams last year. Etc.

But if you've somehow picked up that Kenpom stinks while the entire professional gambling industry hasn't, you'd be a fool to be talking about that here. Hopefully you use your riches to help Miami's NIL game.

Advertisement
Wait so they go so far as to updated the W and Ls of teams before the official coaches poll is released? Literally why lol

Yes. Because games are played all week long. Thus, any "Monday ranking" is subject to the next six days of Ws and Ls.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, just stating a fact. Football is easier, as most Top 25 teams play once a week on Saturday. But the college rankings are "updated" all week long for the Wins and Losses.

Last edited:
Miami was seeded 10th. The humans that seeded Miami were as wrong as Kenpom. Also, we all know March is a complete crap shoot. If that USC shot is 6 inches to the right, we lose in the first round. St Peter's wasn't one of the 8 best teams last year. Etc.

But if you've somehow picked up that Kenpom stinks while the entire professional gambling industry hasn't, you'd be a fool to be talking about that here. Hopefully you use your riches to help Miami's NIL game.

Kenpom has some measure of predictive value.

It is not a ranking system, yet some people (including, unfortunately, the committee) insist upon using it as a ranking system.

Set aside miami, for a second… last year the ACC was ranked amongst the bottom of P-5 conferences by kenpom but had the best winning % as a power conference in the tournament.

Kenpom has some measure of predictive value.

It is not a ranking system, yet some people (including, unfortunately, the committee) insist upon using it as a ranking system.

Set aside miami, for a second… last year the ACC was ranked amongst the bottom of P-5 conferences by kenpom but had the best winning % as a power conference in the tournament.

The tournament is a tiny sample. I don't think it proves much.

If USC hits that last shot vs Miami, 3 wins come off the ACC's record and Auburn probably gets to the E8. If one more shot goes in for Baylor in regulation, UNC wins 1 tournament game instead of 5. If Kentucky gets by St Peter's, maybe they win the title. Etc.

I'm glad the ACC had a good showing, but a 68 team single elimination tournament is mostly a crap shoot. The results of toss-up games have outsized influence.

Advertisement
The tournament is a tiny sample. I don't think it proves much.

If USC hits that last shot vs Miami, 3 wins come off the ACC's record and Auburn probably gets to the E8. If one more shot goes in for Baylor in regulation, UNC wins 1 tournament game instead of 5. If Kentucky gets by St Peter's, maybe they win the title. Etc.

I'm glad the ACC had a good showing, but a 68 team single elimination tournament is mostly a crap shoot. The results of toss-up games have outsized influence.

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. That’s so silly… if this team did this and if that team did that and if the shot that was missed was made…

One game can be an outlier. Three teams from the “weakest” conference making the elite 8 and 2 making the final four is not an outlier. The model was bad.

You didn’t mention ND beating Alabama either… but if the players woke up on the other side of the bed then maybe the ACC wouldn’t have won every matchup in the tournament against the SEC…

But maybe you’re right. Maybe kenpom had us pegged as a sub-50 team and maybe we were just lucky to paste Auburn before another double digit win in the sweet 16.

Or maybe kenpom is a model that has some predictive value but is a poor ranking system and fails to account for important parameters/variables including actual wins and losses.

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. That’s so silly… if this team did this and if that team did that and if the shot that was missed was made…

One game can be an outlier. Three teams from the “weakest” conference making the elite 8 and 2 making the final four is not an outlier. The model was bad.

You didn’t mention ND beating Alabama either… but if the players woke up on the other side of the bed then maybe the ACC wouldn’t have won every matchup in the tournament against the SEC…

But maybe you’re right. Maybe kenpom had us pegged as a sub-50 team and maybe we were just lucky to paste Auburn before another double digit win in the sweet 16.

Or maybe kenpom is a model that has some predictive value but is a poor ranking system and fails to account for important parameters/variables including actual wins and losses.

Yes, and here's the thing.

I usually don't criticize predictive MODELS based solely on the model. There is usually a problem with DATA as well, which is why I have pointed out the circular self-fulfilling prophecy of being labeled a "good team" right out of the box. So I won't belabor THAT issue, for now.

Then you have the voters and the polls. And they do NOT have to be "the same". Voters can see things with their own eyes and vote accordingly. BUT, if they walk into their voting booths with biases, like "UNC and Creighton and Gonzaga are really really good this year", then it is possible to taint the eyeball test too. This is where I have tended to rip the voters (and some of our pollster-ball-licking porsters) who come here to tell me how Miami's ONE LOSS to a #13 ranked Maryland (yes, by 18 points, but YES, on the second game of a neutral site tournament) should be held against us SO MUCH, while I can hear people spinning reasons why "Good Team X" was just sooooo unfortunate to lose 2 or 3 games to "other good teams".

I would also add something new. We REEEEEEALLY need to consider getting rid of "polls" the first month to six weeks of a season. So, for football - first poll comes out in October. For hoops, January. Why? Because the game has changed, we have SUCH a huge impact of "Portal" that everything has become a crap shoot. An "unranked" team can be a contender simply because of the impact of transfers. A "historically good" team can completely MISS in the Portal (or even recrruiting, cough cough aTm Football) and lose way more games than expected. So how about we give it a rest for a stretch. Will we really suffer if we do NOT have rankings for a few weeks? Particularly when I read this thread and see so many people trying to tell me that rankings don't matter, and only the post-season matters?

So if that is so, then get rid of the early rankings. Why should we keep svcking teams' d!cks for beating North Carolina or Creighton when it now looks that they aren't as good as we thought they were?

Bottom line, setting aside all of the circular and reductive arguments - there is an argument that says that a prior year Elite 8 team that snagged two of the most highly sought-after Portal transfers...is going to be a pretty good team this year, particularly when they have multiple core players and/or leaders returning. That's "eye-test". No stats or computers models. Just common sense.

I don't need AP and kenpom to agree on everything, but I'm tired of the concept where we are not looking at THIS YEAR and maybe, just maybe, LAST YEAR to determine how good we expect a school to be. I'm not trying to ****e on North Carolina's decades of success, but that doesn't mean they will always be good. At a certain point, wins count. AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MARGIN. Short benches (as Miami played with last year and has only started lengthening in the last couple of games) tend to create more close wins and more "big" blowouts, if you keep trying to play the same 6 or 7 guys for 30 or 35 minutes per game.

Teaching a random person on a message board about sample sizes is a waste of my time. Yes, 2 teams from a conference making a FF could absolutely be an outlier. (Especially when one of them was an elite team all season long.)

BTW, UNC was seeded 8th. No one was picking them to get to the F4. Kenpom isn't perfect, but it's less imperfect than just about every other system out there, and far less imperfect than human prognosticators. For some reason, when models are wrong about a particular team or game, people like you discredit them indefinitely, yet you don't hold any human to that standard.

Do you gamble a lot on college basketball? If not, you should quit your job and start doing it full time right now. If Kenpom is truly a poor ranking system, put your money where your mouth is. It would be a massive arbitrage opportunity and you'd be an idiot not to pursue it.

Yes, and here's the thing.

I usually don't criticize predictive MODELS based solely on the model. There is usually a problem with DATA as well, which is why I have pointed out the circular self-fulfilling prophecy of being labeled a "good team" right out of the box. So I won't belabor THAT issue, for now.

Then you have the voters and the polls. And they do NOT have to be "the same". Voters can see things with their own eyes and vote accordingly. BUT, if they walk into their voting booths with biases, like "UNC and Creighton and Gonzaga are really really good this year", then it is possible to taint the eyeball test too. This is where I have tended to rip the voters (and some of our pollster-ball-licking porsters) who come here to tell me how Miami's ONE LOSS to a #13 ranked Maryland (yes, by 18 points, but YES, on the second game of a neutral site tournament) should be held against us SO MUCH, while I can hear people spinning reasons why "Good Team X" was just sooooo unfortunate to lose 2 or 3 games to "other good teams".

I would also add something new. We REEEEEEALLY need to consider getting rid of "polls" the first month to six weeks of a season. So, for football - first poll comes out in October. For hoops, January. Why? Because the game has changed, we have SUCH a huge impact of "Portal" that everything has become a crap shoot. An "unranked" team can be a contender simply because of the impact of transfers. A "historically good" team can completely MISS in the Portal (or even recrruiting, cough cough aTm Football) and lose way more games than expected. So how about we give it a rest for a stretch. Will we really suffer if we do NOT have rankings for a few weeks? Particularly when I read this thread and see so many people trying to tell me that rankings don't matter, and only the post-season matters?

So if that is so, then get rid of the early rankings. Why should we keep svcking teams' d!cks for beating North Carolina or Creighton when it now looks that they aren't as good as we thought they were?

Bottom line, setting aside all of the circular and reductive arguments - there is an argument that says that a prior year Elite 8 team that snagged two of the most highly sought-after Portal transfers...is going to be a pretty good team this year, particularly when they have multiple core players and/or leaders returning. That's "eye-test". No stats or computers models. Just common sense.

I don't need AP and kenpom to agree on everything, but I'm tired of the concept where we are not looking at THIS YEAR and maybe, just maybe, LAST YEAR to determine how good we expect a school to be. I'm not trying to ****e on North Carolina's decades of success, but that doesn't mean they will always be good. At a certain point, wins count. AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MARGIN. Short benches (as Miami played with last year and has only started lengthening in the last couple of games) tend to create more close wins and more "big" blowouts, if you keep trying to play the same 6 or 7 guys for 30 or 35 minutes per game.

Our short bench was held against us by the models. And ultimately, the models were right.

Eventually, the bench matters - and when Sam and Miller were in foul trouble vs Kansas and we relied on our bench, we were outscored 47-15 in the 2nd half.

If your bench is getting crushed in garbage time, that has proven to be statistically meaningful. You can get away with it for a while if you stay healthy and out of foul trouble, but eventually, you will pay the price.

Advertisement
Back