NC State - 2/5

Back to trailing by 7.

Good run in the second half, but not feeling anymore of a comeback

Advertisement
Advertisement
This season is a wash. It’s all about getting these young guys prepared for next season which also means not bringing back Scrappy until he is fully healthy.

Advertisement
We were picked to finish 8th in the preseason ACC polls. We rarely finish worse than predicted under L, but there’s no way we make it to 8th this year.

Cut it as close as 3 but twice our bigs intentionally swatted rebounds backwards toward midcourt and both times they went too far and turned into gift fast breaks for NC State. Those plays essentially ended the game.

One was by Walker. Regardless, I liked seeing him out there for an extended stretch. Sure he's beyond raw but makes no sense he's been trusted so little.

This was a logical result. We won as 3.5 home underdogs a week ago to Virginia Tech and now were 3.5 home underdogs again. Assignments like that mean you're a weak team. Very seldom do teams win twice consecutively as home underdogs.

I'm amazed how the atmosphere has changed in two short years. There used to be good crowds and long lines filing in and out. I remember being stuck in the parking garage for 20-30 minutes after the game. Now it's a leisurely stroll with big gaps between one person and the next.

Advertisement
Let me say this... I enjoy watching this team with Beverly and Wong running the show more than Mcgusty and Lykes. It is obvious we play more as a team with these young guns in. Better shot selections but also probably more turnovers (which is expected). Wong has officially shown his ability since getting more freedom and playing time due to injuries. He looks like a completely different guy without Lykes and Mcgusty out there. REALLY EXCITED ABOUT BOTH OF THOSE FRESHMAN GUARDS (I didn't see it from Wong until he was forced into starting role)

Isaiah Walker is a freak athlete, very explosive athlete. He needs to continue to play. I don't understand why he has been glued to the bench all year.

This is the first time in L's tenure that I have seen a player regress like I have seen from Vasil this year. He has lost his confidence and it's even starting to show from the line. Really a shame because I always liked vasil and respected his game so much because of his lack of athletically ability. Wish he was able to go out on a better season. Hopefully he plays lights out down the stretch.

L and staff have a ton to figure out this off season to put this team in the best position to win maximum amount of games next year. I truly believe that Lykes being "our guy" does not maximize that. We will see. I still don't see this team being any better that a top 6 or 7 ACC team next year with Lykes playing hero ball. Hopefully L and staff prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Interesting that his press conference is longer than Coach L.

High praise for the freshman especially Wong and Beverly.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Per Coach L, Rodney hurt his ankle and his minutes were limited in the 2nd half.
Sam is still banged up per Coach L but he is still playing 30 minutes a game until tonight.
Lykes and McGusty worked out yesterday. They are not 100% but getting closer per Coach L. This is bad news because once they are well enough to play, Coach L will probably played them both 30 plus minutes while Wong and Beverly play sparingly. I hope I am wrong as it is more beneficial to the team if those minutes are split. Around 20 for each, actually the freshmen should continue to start as Lykes and DJ come off the bench.

Are we a better team with Lykes coming off the bench? I believe we are and have said this since his sophomore year.
No way. And, if healthy, L will never go for that (nor should he)! This team needs every point it can score just to have a chance. You see how we play when Chris and Kam are out. Very badly.

Advertisement
Back