National recruiting

Advertisement
When Miami has been on its game it’s always done well cherry picking nationally. Look at that 2000 and 2001 roster.

Advertisement
Bobby had a run when he had sh*t locked down…. Manny… not so much
Agree, Bobby Brown was the #1 recording artist in the world from 1988-1992. No one could touch him and it was well understood and accepted. He was the forefront artist of “New Jack Swing” (my personal favorite/the music of my youth) an amalgamation of hip-hop and R&B. Bobby Brown, more than any other artist is the reason why Hip-Hop became a main$tream (globally marketed, sought-after and accepted genre. It was going to happen regardless but he was very instrumental in the process.

No one could touch him at this time.

New Jack Swing

It's funny how fast y'all switch up... only remember 2-3 posters saying go national @Zbrod95 and @Liberty City El for the most part agreed with me about outta state schools sfla relationships...... all I heard from most here was we are going lock down sfla our 3* are better than 4* and just as good as 5* everywhere else.... it's true sometimes on the flip side there are several 4* flops that were overrated....at least @DMoney admitted he was wrong.....most here follow everything he says which is mostly right....I get it, but don't act like y'all was on the national train all along...
This is bull****, most common sense posters said go national. Maybe the majority said stay in Florida but waaaay more than 2-3 said to recruit nationally.

This is bull****, most common sense posters said go national. Maybe the majority said stay in Florida but waaaay more than 2-3 said to recruit nationally.

This. Loads of posters, especially “older” posters have been preaching this and not just making In roads nationally in general but specific areas - Dallas/Houston, bayou, Cali, tidewater, etc. I’ve been harping for years that are great late 80s team (89 one in particular) has ~ 40% of the roster made up of OOS kids. But the past 10 years there have been a lot of fans that have talked about “gotta get all sofla kids”. What has worked for us in the past was a good mix of local surf national kids.

Advertisement
^^^Count me amongst the oldest of the older posters.....the post above speaks the truth. We use to get our QB's and OL's from OOS, Vinny, Gino, Dorsey, Walsh....all those guys were OOS.,,,imho our best OL ever, the 2001 team......you had McKinney from Jersey, Bilba from Penn. and Romberg from freaking Canada all starting. So. Fla is great for the skill positions an any other position requiring speed, but not so much for the big uglies or frankly the QB's.....get Ponce and Mirabel each a Lear jet and send them out hunting.

Calling manny the king of the off-season is more egregious than when Whitney said Bobby Brown was the king of R&B

**** he was in 88 and 89.

Had a few hits after that but he was crushing the game at his peak. Michael Jackson was the only black artist bigger at the time.

My best friend's an OU Alum/fan. Her dad hates Us with a passion lol. I've gotten her a few UM shirts/tanks and it drives him crazy lmao.
Friend Zone Friends GIF by CBS

Oregon never recruited all that well till he took the helm, they were no where near elite in that area till he took over

In his four years, Mario had the #1, #2, #3, and #4 highest ranked classes in Oregon history. That is statistically insane.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ive said this before, when I wear my Nike UM sweatsuit when I travel, there have been so many times people will make comments -- all positive like, "hey, the U!!' -- the Miami admin has never truly understood the power and popularity of their own brand

As Mario said about that U -- it's special

Saturday Night Live Dance GIF by Dan Blaushild

National recruiting should always be a staple in our recruiting especially with the way most of the south Florida kids are these days. We should be getting kids from Texas, California, Jersey, DMV, Georgia, and the Northwest every year. Some occasional northeast and Midwest kids as well to go with Florida. Florida is incredibly talented obviously but if you want to win Nattys, you have to recruit nationally at a high level. One thing Florida doesn’t normally produce a lot of or at least elite level are OL especially South Florida. Same goes for QB although you could get an elite one every 4-5 years maybe. Now receiver, DB, and RB is a completely different story. I want the best of the best at Miami and not just the best Florida kids.

National recruiting should always be a staple in our recruiting especially with the way most of the south Florida kids are these days. We should be getting kids from Texas, California, Jersey, DMV, Georgia, and the Northwest every year. Some occasional northeast and Midwest kids as well to go with Florida. Florida is incredibly talented obviously but if you want to win Nattys, you have to recruit nationally at a high level. One thing Florida doesn’t normally produce a lot of or at least elite level are OL especially South Florida. Same goes for QB although you could get an elite one every 4-5 years maybe. Now receiver, DB, and RB is a completely different story. I want the best of the best at Miami and not just the best Florida kids.
As long as they are elite I don't care where tf they from. People want guys from areas just to have them which is buns. Give me the elite guys from other places not roster fillers. Bring me those elites.

Advertisement
Agree, Bobby Brown was the #1 recording artist in the world from 1988-1992. No one could touch him and it was well understood and accepted. He was the forefront artist of “New Jack Swing” (my personal favorite/the music of my youth) an amalgamation of hip-hop and R&B. Bobby Brown, more than any other artist is the reason why Hip-Hop became a main$tream (globally marketed, sought-after and accepted genre. It was going to happen regardless but he was very instrumental in the process.

No one could touch him at this time.

New Jack Swing

Tender Roni

I've always been about going national. As Mario said, this is war, you never allow the enemy to say what's mine is mine and what's yours is up for grabs. The most notable generals in history attacked.

As K9 wrote, the U has an incredible brand across most of the country. I always felt we should be able to take kids out of CÁ, TX especially Houston, LÁ, the whole Northeast, GA and the DMV. Didn’t expect OR and WA but Mario isn’t conceding territory to anyone.

The only other program that could do what Mario is doing is USC and while Riley is a Top 3 coach I don’t see him or his staff being as relentless as Mario’s team.

Miami has also always been a National brand; The U symbol is still looked at positively by kids around the country.

It only became a joke to local South FL kids because they used to clown us & use as a placeholder while they were getting bagged up from the SEC & B1G schools.

But now with NIL in affect & a legitimate coaching staff, we can get nearly any premier National player we want because Miami aside from being a historic (in the eyes of recruits) destination for Football, is also a Big market program that can sell so many opportunities outside of Football that makes us enticing.

People genuinely thought NIL wouldn’t help us, what was overlooked was small college towns are overly booster reliant, but that doesn’t give a lot of leeway for ingenuity & innovation; Big City = Big Opportunities, Big Opportunities = More commerce; Small towns in Middle of Nowheresville can’t compete with the atmosphere of Miami & now that we can have legal financial bids with other teams we’re winning most of these battles because other schools were overly reliant on the mystique of being a Big Fish in a little pond...

The reason I been pushing for TX for such a long time is from having lived worked & coached there, I know for a fact those kids are actually more receptive to us than most would assume; I’m still in touch with several 7v7 coaches in both Dallas & Houston regions & they tell me all the time the kids down there love The U. We just over the years have always neglected the region, while Bama, UGA, Clemson & Oh ST were making the playoffs & winning titles off stealing those kids.

Now, we won’t be missing out... And we’ll start landing kids from all over in places we would never even imagine. Especially with kids flocking to IMG every year, they’ll now have way more exposure & much closer access to us while being OOS kids in Florida & it will make for a much easier to sell to their families considering they’re in Florida already.

It’s like we’re in the construction business & one of our own just got elected to be the head of the Union; we’re about to eat!

What's your preference? SEC or B1G? My gut says B1G but my head says SEC. A lot of the recruits we want are also the ones that the SEC bag schools want. I think a lot of recruits in the south want to play in the SEC because it's generally viewed as the best conference. If UM is in the SEC and has as much $$$ as the bag schools, there is no reason for recruits (especially Fl recruits) to go anywhere else.

Advertisement
Back