Myles Mooyoung commits

It's an interesting PWO move considering you could have just grabbed a really athletic under the radar kid right here in Florida...who knows. Kid may have something to prove and shut everyone up. Time will tell.
As a PWO? You think we have local P5-caliber dudes without offers just ready to sign up here as walk ons all the time?

Most of our walk ons are DII and III types at best. I've known many of them. Eventually you get a diamond in the rough and they earn their way to significant playing time but getting a guy with legit P5 offers to come play here in his own dime is exceedingly rare, and in fact I can't think of an instance in recent memory.

Advertisement
As a PWO? You think we have local P5-caliber dudes without offers just ready to sign up here as walk ons all the time?

Most of our walk ons are DII and III types at best. I've known many of them. Eventually you get a diamond in the rough and they earn their way to significant playing time but getting a guy with legit P5 offers to come play here in his own dime is exceedingly rare, and in fact I can't think of an instance in recent memory.
Yup.

You have to remember that the cost of attending UM without a scholarship is ridiculous. Your walk-on choices are limited really smart dudes with academic scholarships or really rich dudes who can afford the tuition. It’s not like a state school where tuition is much lower for in state students.
True true. Nice little price tag lol

Advertisement
Serious ?; when is the last PWO we had that became an actual player, here? Have we had any PWO success stories?

Let me be more clear:

Have we had any Hunter Renfrow situations, Clay Matthews, ****, even Stephen Goatkowski or Luke Falk type of walk on players, here?

Let me be more clear:

Have we had any Hunter Renfrow situations, Clay Matthews, ****, even Stephen Goatkowski or Luke Falk type of walk on players, here?
Wouldn’t Joaquin Gonzalez qualify as one of these? The guy was a PWO so he would qualify much more so than the guys Butch brought in under probation on track scholarships like Santana Moss.

Would we add Jeff Popovich to the PWO list?

Advertisement
Serious ?; when is the last PWO we had that became an actual player, here? Have we had any PWO success stories?
I'm old as **** but I think Santana was a walk on or track scholarship player. Ether way I think you're right. The Preferred Walk On term wasn't used in the 90's or the 2000's.

Maybe Marshall Few i believe he had fcs offers

Advertisement
I think Jeff Popovich was a walk on

Correct. So it’s been about 20 yrs since we’ve seen a walk on success story where they make it to the NFL or have a real impact. Few, Murphy, and Ragone r nice stories, but not the impact that Popovich or Gonzalez had.

Advertisement
8 pages on a PWO......10 pages means booty GIF's.....
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

I'm old as **** but I think Santana was a walk on or track scholarship player. Ether way I think you're right. The Preferred Walk On term wasn't used in the 90's or the 2000's.

We need to end this myth now. Let's just speak like men. With absolute honesty.

Santana Moss was ALWAYS going to be a scholarship football player, but Butch was definitely trying to game the system. Santana was initially put on a track scholarship but was always going to convert to football once a spot opened up.

We had TWO track scholarship guys, Santana Moss and Aaron Moser. Moser was GOING to get the last scholarship (he was already a year ahead of Santana), but Moser got injured, Santana played, and Santana got the last football scholarship.

Neither Moss nor Moser was ever a "preferred walk-on", they were just scholarship football players who were stashed on the track team so that Butch could evade the scholarship limitations.

WALK-ON MOSS GETS FINAL SCHOLARSHIP​

CHRIS PERKINS
Staff Writer
SUN-SENTINEL

Apparently, University of Miami coach Butch Davis' coy references to freshman receiver Santana Moss playing were well-founded.

In somewhat of a surprise move before Thursday's 21-17 loss, UM announced Moss, a walk-on from Carol City, has been awarded the football scholarship once reserved for fellow walk-on receiver Aaron Moser.

Moss, who debuted midway through the first quarter, now apparently becomes the 15th and final scholarship recipient from UM's 1997 probation-reduced class.

Moss was attending UM on a track scholarship and it was thought Moss' participation in football would put UM over its limit of 15 scholarships for 1997.

NCAA rules state once a scholarship athlete plays a down of football he automatically becomes a "football counter," meaning his presence counts toward the school's limit of annual football scholarships.

That rule is in place to keep schools from recruiting football players and hiding them with scholarships in other sports, thereby getting around the limit of 85 football scholarships.

In past conversations, Davis hinted there was a chance Moss might be able to play this year, but Davis also said in those conversations UM had awarded all 15 of its 1997 scholarships.

Now it seems that wasn't true.

Both Moser, a redshirt freshman, and Moss, a true freshman, were attending UM on track scholarships.

In the spring, Davis announced Moser, a decathlete and pole vaulter, would receive a football scholarship. Moser was to have counted among the 15 scholarships UM had to give in 1997.

But Moser apparently never got the football scholarship. And last week, when he aggravated the hamstring injury that dogged him throughout the spring, Davis apparently decided not to give Moser a football scholarship at all.

Presumably Moser, who is from Bonne Terre, Mo., is still attending UM on a track scholarship. Moser didn't make the trip to Pittsburgh and his name is no longer on the UM roster.

So, now Moss, a player that can help UM immediately, gets the scholarship.

Moss won the long jump and 400 and 800 meters at the Class 6A state track meet.

Kid is probably on this site. Not sure if this is legal, but if the counters are increased for this year could he be a scholly candidate? Diaz gave him a wink and nod to commit as a PWO with the probability of getting a scholarship down the road after the counters increase and his play warrants it. Almost like a one year prove it deal.

Advertisement
Back