Myles Garrett

Advertisement
Anyone claiming he should be in jail is out of their mind IMO.
So wait until someone goes blind or gets killed before setting a precedent for legal action against this type behavior? This has to be addressed immediately IMO. I'm fine with letting this slide legally & implementing a Myles Garrett or White Guy Rudolph rule. Going forward, I do not think suspension is enough for this act. It has to be considered criminal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So wait until someone goes blind or gets killed before setting a precedent for legal action against this type behavior? This has to be addressed immediately IMO. I'm fine with letting this slide legally & implementing a Myles Garrett or White Guy Rudolph rule. Going forward, I do not think suspension is enough for this act. It has to be considered criminal.

That's stupid. You can make the same argument in the case of Rudolph initially trying to rip Garrett's helmet off; that is a dangerous act that puts Garrett's neck at risk. Should Rudolph be imprisoned? If we're getting SVU with it, Rudolph charged after Garrett before he got hit, self-defense argument all-day. Not sure what Rudolph being white has to do with it.

Let's review the Rudolph/Garrett event:

1.) Garrett tackles Rudolph to the ground at or near the time he releases the ball.

2.) Rudolph gets in his feelings and tries to rip Garrett's helmet off his head, while it is still attached. A quite dangerous move when you consider the importance of the spinal cord to human function.

3.) Garrett retaliates and actually DOES rip Rudolph's helmet off and is subsequently pushed away by the offensive linemen.

4.) Rudolph gets off the ground and goes after Garrett.

5.) Garrett strikes Rudolph on the head with his own helmet. A quite dangerous move when you consider the importance of the brain to human function.

6.) Worthy of note is the fact that Garrett is then punched and kicked multiple times by one of the Pouncey brothers.

Did we miss anything?
Yes. Rudolph also kicked Garrett in the nuts during the scrum.

I have no problem with the NFL coming down on Garrett hard. But I don't know how anyone can act like Rudolph's hands are clean in all of this.

Advertisement
That's stupid. You can make the same argument in the case of Rudolph initially trying to rip Garrett's helmet off; that is a dangerous act that puts Garrett's neck at risk. Should Rudolph be imprisoned? If we're getting SVU with it, Rudolph charged after Garrett before he got hit, self-defense argument all-day. Not sure what Rudolph being white has to do with it.
I think your reasoning is asinine to compare pulling at a face-mask versus hitting a man over the head with a weapon. Not comparable for me. To each his own. I don't know Rudolph's name. Was being facetious. Disregard. Meant nothing.

Advertisement
Part of a cop's job is de-escalating situations, not the opposite. That's why excessive force is a thing.
Respect to the good ones. You couldn't pay me to deal with what they have to. You're right though.

Part of a cop's job is de-escalating situations, not the opposite. That's why excessive force is a thing.

Cops are trained to do that and players are trained from pop warner to stop when helmets come off. They throw flags when people keep playing without a helmet. Not only did Garrett not stop or even use his hands, he hit him in the head with a helmet.

Main point being emotions or losing your cool aren’t an excuse.

Advertisement
Back