My Word

*sigh* I’ve been here a long time, please give me the respect of hearing me out before you blast.
I love what Mario is saying, how he carries himself, and his record. That said, I’ll wait to see more. I’m not bashing the guy, but every time we get a new coach, there’s a perfectly reasonable reason to think we’ve turned the corner. Yes, there’s a ton of money pledged, but let’s see how much flowed and how long it lasts. I don’t mean to rain on anyones parade, I really don’t. If you’re all-in, great, enjoy the ride. I’m just saying I need to see the results.
There absolutely nothing wrong with what you are saying here. You make a perfectly reasonable point. Every single time there is a coaching change at the beginning the new HC can do no wrong and all forms of criticism are strictly forbidden no matter how logical or how constructive the criticism may be.

Personally I love the Mario Cristobal hire but I am also very much aware of his potential flaws and the aspects of being a HC that he needs to improve on. There is no such thing as a perfect HC hire but I believe that there is such thing as a head coach being the perfect fit at the perfect time. All things considered I believe Mario to be the latter for UM. The thing that some may not get is that Mario Cristobal brings so much more that his GameDay coaching ability and his recruiting. He brings the knowledge and practical experience of how to build the right infrastructure necessary to be able to compete in this day and age in college football. He brings credibility. He brings a certain gravitas if you will. He's not going to get everything right but nobody could possibly expect his to.

In addition to building a championship level infrastructure I know that Mario will stock this roster with studs, with straight dogs(that's for my boy @Dwinstitles ). He will build us into a championship level roster. In terms of gameday coaching, I believe that his best days are all ahead of him and I look forward to watching him grow into an elite overall college HC during his tenure here. Right now the thing that I am focused on the very most is the hiring of his staff as a HC is only as good as the staff he surrounds himself with. Both coordinator positions are of particular and absolutely paramount importance and that is something that cannot be overemphasized. So far the position coaches seem to be excellent recruiters and that is ideally what you want. With a staff of position coaches who are all or nearly all ace recruiters in addition to the head coach being one of the top 3 if not the best recruiter in the country, it then becomes increasingly important that both coordinator hires are coaches who excel at the X's and O's of the game. My personal preference in terms of both coordinators would be.....

OC Matt Mumme
DC Derek Mason.

That to me would be a Grand Slam but that's just my opinion.

Advertisement
There absolutely nothing wrong with what you are saying here. You make a perfectly reasonable point. Every single time there is a coaching change at the beginning the new HC can do no wrong and all forms of criticism are strictly forbidden no matter how logical or how constructive the criticism may be.

Personally I love the Mario Cristobal hire but I am also very much aware of his potential flaws and the aspects of being a HC that he needs to improve on. There is no such thing as a perfect HC hire but I believe that there is such thing as a head coach being the perfect fit at the perfect time. All things considered I believe Mario to be the latter for UM. The thing that some may not get is that Mario Cristobal brings so much more that his GameDay coaching ability and his recruiting. He brings the knowledge and practical experience of how to build the right infrastructure necessary to be able to compete in this day and age in college football. He brings credibility. He brings a certain gravitas if you will. He's not going to get everything right but nobody could possibly expect his to.

In addition to building a championship level infrastructure I know that Mario will stock this roster with studs, with straight dogs(that's for my boy @Dwinstitles ). He will build us into a championship level roster. In terms of gameday coaching, I believe that his best days are all ahead of him and I look forward to watching him grow into an elite overall college HC during his tenure here. Right now the thing that I am focused on the very most is the hiring of his staff as a HC is only as good as the staff he surrounds himself with. Both coordinator positions are of particular and absolutely paramount importance and that is something that cannot be overemphasized. So far the position coaches seem to be excellent recruiters and that is ideally what you want. With a staff of position coaches who are all or nearly all ace recruiters in addition to the head coach being one of the top 3 if not the best recruiter in the country, it then becomes increasingly important that both coordinator hires are coaches who excel at the X's and O's of the game. My personal preference in terms of both coordinators would be.....

OC Matt Mumme
DC Derek Mason.

Appreciate the serious reply as opposed to yelling some nonsense. I mostly agree, and hope you’re right. I’m hopeful because he’s seen and been part of more than one program that was doing the kinds of things we need to be doing. Thus far our coaches have never seen that type of operation from the inside.

I just remember how randy was going to bring us back to glory because he’d been there before. Al was the guy because he could sell the program and he’d turned around a perpetually bad team. Richt was a former player who had history winning and recruiting. Manny was…well, many had overseen a year of good, fun defensive football, and he was a Miami guy.

Let’s get it right this time.

Appreciate the serious reply as opposed to yelling some nonsense. I mostly agree, and hope you’re right. I’m hopeful because he’s seen and been part of more than one program that was doing the kinds of things we need to be doing. Thus far our coaches have never seen that type of operation from the inside.

I just remember how randy was going to bring us back to glory because he’d been there before. Al was the guy because he could sell the program and he’d turned around a perpetually bad team. Richt was a former player who had history winning and recruiting.

Let’s get it right this time.
I appreciate your concerns. I really do. We have been sold a lemon many times over but this situation can't even compare to anything that you listed. Randy bring us back because he had been there? Who in there right mind would even start to believe that? He had never been an HC before and was clueless from the get plus at that time our administration didn't give a **** about the program.

Golden was a cheap huckster. A used car salesman in an Armani suit. The entire operation was in a bad place because the administration still didn't care then we had to deal with Shapiro. When that went away we still had to deal with Golden refusing to fire what IMO was the worst P5 defensive coordinator that I have ever seen.

Richt was a bad hire because he was clearly burnt out. Add to that the fact that the administration still refused to spend money and we were never really going anywhere.

This situation with Cristobal is as different from the above as night is from day. Now the administration is committed to not only spending money but spending on the same level as Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State. We go out and grab Mario and pay him 8 million a year. Now that in itself doesn't mean that he is going to get it done but if that isn't a commitment to spending 💰 to win by the administration then please show me what is. Our budget for Mario's staff exceeds Clemson's staff budget and only trails Alabama's by 800,000 which is not much comparitively. That is a commitment. Mario Cristobal was National Recruiting Coordinator and Associate Head Coach at Alabama. He was named the national recruiter of the year more than once. At Oregon Cristobal built the Ducks roster up to levels it had never seen before. He won 2 Pac 12 titles if I'm not mistaken. We have a new donor who is a billionaire 23 times over. We are going to be putting millions into football.

I know we have been burnt before but we have just dealt ourselves back into the game. We still need to be patient because it won't happen overnight but we are on our way. Be excited! It's okay 👍!

OC Matt Mumme
DC Derek Mason.

Don't worry the OC and DC will be amazing hires for us

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back