My thoughts on this class (w/ grades)

Like many of you, I was expecting a tremendous close to our class, the likes of which we haven't seen in some time. While that didn't come to fruition, this is still a very very strong group. As of right now, we are undersigned by 4, which shows me we are signing for quality over quantity with room to add in the grad transfer market.

QB: A

We signed the consensus top rated QB in the state and another kid in Weldon who is already on campus and probably a dark horse to start in his own right.

RB: B-

McFarland hurts without question. He'd been penciled in for months and I think it's fairly clear that some funny business went down in the last 24 hours of his recruitment. It was a down year locally at the position, and while Burns is talented, he's essentially a complete unknown. We absolutely need and should expect a grad transfer, because Walton, Homer, Choc and Burns is a thin unit. Lingard is our #1 player on our board in 2018 and a must-sign.

WR: A

What a difference a month makes. Harley and Thomas are elite, speedy talents who will be on the field right away. Holloman is a good prospect but their additions more than make up for missing on him. Njoku is underrated just as his brother was coming out of high school. Pouncey is a nice looking prospect but happy we kept the scholarship for next year. Smith keeps this from being an A+ haul but i'm splitting hairs here.

OL: A+

Tremendous job by Searles and staff. Donaldson is a Day 1 starter and Herbert was a heck of a pull given where we stood just a few weeks ago. Gaynor may be my favorite recruit in this entire class and our future anchor at Center. Hillery is a very intriguing OL prospect and Dykstra is a solid developmental guy. Couldn't have asked for a better finish at this spot.

TE: B

Polendey is a nice addition to go with what we already have at the position. McKitty would have seen the field early but we are fine here with Herndon, Haskins and Irvin.

DE - A

DJ Johnson is a 5 star talent and Garvin may be the most under-appreciated player in Florida this cycle. We continue to stack chips at this position.

DT - B

Jon Ford is a solid addition but would have liked to have seen another kid brought in for depth. We are obviously quite deep at DT right now, but this will be a huge priority position in 2018.

LB - B+

Wayne Steed is a classic South Florida MLB and I really like Jennings' fit in Diaz's scheme. Gotta love that both are early enrollees.

CB - B

Bandy is the best CB prospect in South Florida and should be our #3 corner to start the season. He's a dog and fits what we are trying to do on defense to a T. Dean will start on the boundary and was also an extremely important signing. Still, we failed to land guys like Marco Wilson, Stanford Samuels (legacy to FSU), and most importantly, CJ Henderson. I never thought Henderson was an instant impact guy like the prospects we signed, but given that he was Bandy's teammate and was trending our way, this is a tough beat. Much like RB, we need a grad transfer here and an infusion of talent in 2018. Ivey and Jobe are great starts.

S - B

I'm pretty bullish on Amari Carter and think he starts right away. Smith is a big hitter and should contribute on special teams as a freshman. I honestly don't think losing out on Edwards was that big a thing but Frierson and Hall are musts in 2018.

Overall, I put the class at about an A-.

Advertisement
Gonna have to disagree with you on RB an TE everything else I some what agree with.

Agree but B+ class. Should have been an A on a miss here or there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think you're being generous with rb . . . we're closer to a C . . . burns is suspect at this point . . . also i think your reaching at corner . . .

Advertisement
I really like the class overall but you're being generous with the grades at certain positions.

Can't see how you can grade RB at anything above a D (I'd say F but Burns has potential IF...). Of the RB's on the roster, Walton is the only one we know can play at this level and yet we brought in just one back who is a major injury concern.

RB is definitely a C, maybe lower when you factor in we needed at least 2 backs numberswise and the only one we brought in is injury prone.

I think DT might be a C+. Ford will be good but numbers wise we needed more. Can't expect a bunch of freshman DT to be ballers next year

Only thing keeping CB from being a CB is that Dean is a JUCO and should be ready to contribute right away.

No way I can give this class anything higher than a B

Like many of you, I was expecting a tremendous close to our class, the likes of which we haven't seen in some time. While that didn't come to fruition, this is still a very very strong group. As of right now, we are undersigned by 4, which shows me we are signing for quality over quantity with room to add in the grad transfer market.

QB: A

We signed the consensus top rated QB in the state and another kid in Weldon who is already on campus and probably a dark horse to start in his own right.

RB: B-

McFarland hurts without question. He'd been penciled in for months and I think it's fairly clear that some funny business went down in the last 24 hours of his recruitment. It was a down year locally at the position, and while Burns is talented, he's essentially a complete unknown. We absolutely need and should expect a grad transfer, because Walton, Homer, Choc and Burns is a thin unit. Lingard is our #1 player on our board in 2018 and a must-sign.

WR: A

What a difference a month makes. Harley and Thomas are elite, speedy talents who will be on the field right away. Holloman is a good prospect but their additions more than make up for missing on him. Njoku is underrated just as his brother was coming out of high school. Pouncey is a nice looking prospect but happy we kept the scholarship for next year. Smith keeps this from being an A+ haul but i'm splitting hairs here.

OL: A+

Tremendous job by Searles and staff. Donaldson is a Day 1 starter and Herbert was a heck of a pull given where we stood just a few weeks ago. Gaynor may be my favorite recruit in this entire class and our future anchor at Center. Hillery is a very intriguing OL prospect and Dykstra is a solid developmental guy. Couldn't have asked for a better finish at this spot.

TE: B

Polendey is a nice addition to go with what we already have at the position. McKitty would have seen the field early but we are fine here with Herndon, Haskins and Irvin.

DE - A

DJ Johnson is a 5 star talent and Garvin may be the most under-appreciated player in Florida this cycle. We continue to stack chips at this position.

DT - B

Jon Ford is a solid addition but would have liked to have seen another kid brought in for depth. We are obviously quite deep at DT right now, but this will be a huge priority position in 2018.

LB - B+

Wayne Steed is a classic South Florida MLB and I really like Jennings' fit in Diaz's scheme. Gotta love that both are early enrollees.

CB - B

Bandy is the best CB prospect in South Florida and should be our #3 corner to start the season. He's a dog and fits what we are trying to do on defense to a T. Dean will start on the boundary and was also an extremely important signing. Still, we failed to land guys like Marco Wilson, Stanford Samuels (legacy to FSU), and most importantly, CJ Henderson. I never thought Henderson was an instant impact guy like the prospects we signed, but given that he was Bandy's teammate and was trending our way, this is a tough beat. Much like RB, we need a grad transfer here and an infusion of talent in 2018. Ivey and Jobe are great starts.

S - B

I'm pretty bullish on Amari Carter and think he starts right away. Smith is a big hitter and should contribute on special teams as a freshman. I honestly don't think losing out on Edwards was that big a thing but Frierson and Hall are musts in 2018.

Overall, I put the class at about an A-.

Everything is good there but CB and RB are C's. Keep it 100.

Advertisement
No more cakes for these bytch *** divas, I hope their careers crumble at UF, *** em.

I really like the class overall but you're being generous with the grades at certain positions.

Can't see how you can grade RB at anything above a D (I'd say F but Burns has potential IF...). Of the RB's on the roster, Walton is the only one we know can play at this level and yet we brought in just one back who is a major injury concern.

Im grading relative to need. Walton is the best RB in the ACC coming back and I think Homer is going to contribute for us as well.

i agree w this. A- B+ is where im at. hit the needs and to get everyone on ur board, u gotta win 10 games+ next year. thats it. cant expect to get everyone if youve just won ur first bowl in a decade and haven't won double digits in what 12? good write up OP

Advertisement
Interesting that Bandy is a dog. I had read elsewhere he has that dog in him, in which case ... DOUBLE DOG

Advertisement
Would AGREE with your analysis BUT we have way too many cry babies on this board. This is a GREAT CLASS considering what UM has done past 10 years.

Agree but B+ class. Should have been an A on a miss here or there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think you're being generous with rb . . . we're closer to a C . . . burns is suspect at this point . . . also i think your reaching at corner . . .

sorry. Bandy and Dean r huge. would have liked hendo and edwards

Bandy and Dean are huge. But the point is two is not enough coming off a class where you only signed ONE in Young.

Add that to the fact that UF signed four CB's from your city alone and it's awful.

I appreciate a str8 forward assessment of the class.

ESPN has gone through great lengths to create this notion that you have to have top 5 classes every year to compete and it's simply not true. Once you get into the top 15% of players you are spliting hairs trying to determine which kid will have a better college career.

This class is loaded with talent that will build on the talent we already have in place. The most important areas are Oline, DLine and QB. Our DLine is already fierce. If our Oline can gel and these player pan out and 1 of the QBs we signed or is already on the Roster pan out we will have more than enough talent to compete with anyone.

Advertisement
Back