My thoughts on this class (w/ grades)

Advertisement
Now that the class is seemingly in, I'll play too.

QB - A-. Feel pretty good about both players. Think that Weldon is rated higher if he is healthy Junior year.

RB - C-. Missing on McFarland with no backup plan in place was huge. Gus is probably gone, choc is a question mark coming off injury and Homer is unproven for 2017. Burns Sophomore tape looks good, but the fact that his sophomore tape is all we have seen because he is so fragile is terrifying. If walton leaves after 2017 (which I expect), we have Homer and glass man Burns with true frosh backing them up.

WR - A. Happy here.

OL - A. A few that look to make early impacts and a couple projects. Short of landing a Leatherwood type pretty happy with this unit.

TE - C. We lose Njoku this year, we lose Herndon next year. There was real need for an athletic TE in this class, especially with how unstable the Haskins situation appears to be. Needed Mctitty, or at least gamble. two more recruiting fights lost to rivals at a position of need.

DE - A. Would have liked one more here with both Thomas and Toolbox gone after 17, and patchan unable to stay healthy. But I love both the ones we got.

DT - C. Don't hate John Ford, don't love him yet either. My issue here is that we are only taking 1. We could conceivably lose 5 DTs (Willis, Moten, Jenkins, Norton, Macintosh) between now and the 2018 season. Willis considered leaving this year, I have very little hope for him to return for a RS Senior year in 2018. If both Norton and Macintosh leave early after a great junior season under Kul, we are ****ed, and will have a lot of minutes going to true freshmans or question marks like Ryan Fines and Tyreic Martin. That possibility needed to be addressed in this class.

LB - B-. Don't hate any of the prospects here, just hoped we would do a little better. They will not start a game until the current trio leaves, and I expect to get someone better than all three in the next two cycles. Hope I am wrong, but I see three career ST/backups here.

CB - B-. Simply put, missed on too many to go any higher with this grade. Like Bandy a lot, and am glad we brought in Dean who should be more prepared physically to step in right away. Dallas, who knows if he even finishes his career at CB here. Pretty worried about the quality of depth at this position.

S - C+. Not overly excited about either, and could see both being passed by high end prospects in next class if we land them. Both look like ST/Rotational players to me. Needed to get someone from ***an/Wright/Davis.

Overall Grade : B-

Too many soft-shouldered, emo, chicken little, sky-is-falling, cry-jerking, panty-sniffers on this board.

QB: A. Best talent in the state. Enough said.
RB: C. Needed two, got one. The one we got was a beast as a healthy Sophomore. But recently, he's the most likely recruit to require a medical redshirt.
WR: A. Elite speed x2, plus a freak athlete with size. And DeeJay moonlighting on offense from time to time.
OL: A+. Solid chance of seeing Donaldson starting somewhere on the line this year (maybe RT or LG). Hillery and Herbert will develop into solid starters, with Hillery possible showing up as a LT. Gaynor has a nasty streak that I love. And Dykstra seems athletic and will at least be quality depth, maybe more.
DE: A+. DJ Johnson is a killer. And Garvin is no slouch.
DT: C+. I am high on Ford, but we needed another body here to be ready for 2018.
LB: B. At the very least looks like quality depth and speed at the position. And with 3 starting Freshmen last year, I'm surprised we were able to pull another 3 in.
CB: B-. Another body was needed. Bandy and Dean will get immediate playing time and get coached up.
S: B+. I am high on Carter and Smith is a downfield S who will do well in Diaz's system. If DeeJay ends up at FS (I hope so) this grade obviously gets bumped up.
P: B. Legacy punter? Sure. Why not.

Too many soft-shouldered, emo, chicken little, sky-is-falling, cry-jerking, panty-sniffers on this board.

RB: C. Needed two, got one. The one we got was a beast as a healthy Sophomore. But recently, he's the most likely recruit to require a medical redshirt.
WR: A. Elite speed x2, plus a freak athlete with size. And DeeJay moonlighting on offense from time to time.
OL: A+. Solid chance of seeing Donaldson starting somewhere on the line this year (maybe RT or LG). Hillery and Herbert will develop into solid starters, with Hillery possible showing up as a LT. Gaynor has a nasty streak that I love. And Dykstra seems athletic and will at least be quality depth, maybe more.
DT: C+. I am high on Ford, but we needed another body here to be ready for 2018.
LB: B. At the very least looks like quality depth and speed at the position. And with 3 starting Freshmen last year, I'm surprised we were able to pull another 3 in.
CB: B-. Another body was needed. Bandy and Dean will get immediate playing time and get coached up.
S: B+. I am high on Carter and Smith is a downfield S who will do well in Diaz's system. If DeeJay ends up at FS (I hope so) this grade obviously gets bumped up.

Upvote

This staff failed to close.....Richt aint dumb. He'll know how to handle these jackass kids next round

Advertisement
LOL at RB being anything more than a D. We got one guy that hasn't played in two years. On paper that is absolutely terrible and deserves an F grade in all honesty.

I'm with you NVA with the RB position being a F in reality.

No excuse recruiting two backs that hardly played their senior season due to injuries. Then getting dumped by one of them at the end with no other option on the back burner.

Spot on.

Good write up however the difference between an "A" and "B" player is really hard to judge at this time - there is talent in the class but what we dont know
- Is the kid talented but a ***** up - Sam Bruce
- Does a kid want to compete from day one or when he is pushed around does he mentally fold
- Is he willing to do the work in the off season. Say what you will about S&C coaches - some players excel and some players chase the ladies - even with the same S&C coach
- And most important - especially for DL and OL - do they want to compete on every down

The reality is the Stars systems is still heavily based on height/weight and speed - the difference is a kids heart

Advertisement
QB: A. we got our main #1 priority in Perry, and a solid intriguing prospect with Weldon. Don't know if either are ready to be day 1 starters though

RB: D+/C- I think burns will be Mike Jamesish solid, definitely needed another, but all will be forgotten if we land atleast 2 of Lingard, Davis, and curry. Think we'll be ok next year just add the Clemson transfer to bridge us.

OL: A not a scout but they say OL is the hardest to project in college, but regardless of rankings seems like we hit on all of our priorities, we got who we wanted save Leatherwood but that was never happening. Real Happy with Searles though was our #1 need this cycle.

WR: A+ we addressed speed concerns with this postion.. I'm also high on Njoku. Richt also said Dallas is a WR right now that's an Elite haul. Top 5 in country, best WR class in the state by far.

TE: C+/B- Polendy will be a solid big body regardless could've used a gamble or Mckitty, but TE wasn't a huge need

DE: A+ Johnson from Cali is elite, over 100 offers .. Garvin to me is Elite too and both of them are underrated with my cane shades off.
DT: B- I like ford, if Logan is added then this an A as well. Definitely needed 2

LB:B solid depth guys

CB: B-, we got 2 studs .. I think the misses are unacceptable and I'm disappointed, but shouldn't discredit who we did get. Just a 1 too many misses for this to be an A
S: C+ I'm not super high on Carter but I do think he'll be a solid SS.. Smith is another SS who I think can grow into an OLB. We needed a more rangy ballhawking safety especially with what we have with our current safeties. We have alotta thumpers it seems.

Overall.. it's a solid class , give it a B/B+ couple of things I really like about this class is that we addressed our needs OL, WR, speed, and CB replacements. Just too many misses especially locally to be an A imo. Next year we have to win and have a big year for us to fully capitalize on the 2018 class bcuz it can be special. It's just south Florida is filled with too many frontrunning divas it makes me uneasy guaranteeing a top 5 class

RB: D+/C- I think burns will be Mike Jamesish solid, definitely needed another, but all will be forgotten if we land atleast 2 of Lingard, Davis, and curry. Think we'll be ok next year just add the Clemson transfer to bridge us.

Burns will either be the RB version of Yatil Green in '96 (electric), or the RB version of Yatil Green in '97 (rehabbing). No in between.

Burns will either be the RB version of Yatil Green in '96 (electric), or the RB version of Yatil Green in '97 (rehabbing). No in between.

I've seen Yatil around a couple of times.. he looks likes he can go right now. He's done rehabbing lol, but let's hope he's '96 RB version of yatil.

McFarland and CJ were the whiffs - that def hurt but I agree with these grades overall and think people are being overly critical.

Solid A- top 10 type of class that would have been a solid A with McFarland and CJ.

The key is building on this momentum, having a double digit win season and raking in a consensus top 10 class next year!

Advertisement
Agree with most except rb.

RB is a D+/C-

We had attrition at the position. Essentially played out two kids with legit stats to leave (Gus, Yearby) and then ended up with a kid with no production in a sh*tty private school district down here. Who essentially redshirted his sr year. The only reason its even that grade is that the kid is an EARLY ENTREE. ....But hes already in a walking boot.

This was a major FAIL by the staff...considering our rb coach is our OC....he's a GA guy with connections...if there wasnt in state guys we liked he should of had a ga RB geared up.

lol I wish you graded my papers in college...

QB-B+
RB-C-
WR-B
TE-B
O-line-B+
D-line-B+
Secondary-B-

Winning headed to head battles..and the fact that we still didn't get to much exposure D

Good write up however the difference between an "A" and "B" player is really hard to judge at this time - there is talent in the class but what we dont know
- Is the kid talented but a ***** up - Sam Bruce
- Does a kid want to compete from day one or when he is pushed around does he mentally fold
- Is he willing to do the work in the off season. Say what you will about S&C coaches - some players excel and some players chase the ladies - even with the same S&C coach
- And most important - especially for DL and OL - do they want to compete on every down

The reality is the Stars systems is still heavily based on height/weight and speed - the difference is a kids heart

upvote

Advertisement
QB: A-

Perry is the closes thing to Watson in this class. Perry alone makes our class better than the gator’s class. Our mistake is we should have signed James Blackmon instead of Weldon.

RB: C-

Two years ago when I analyzed this class, I honestly had us only taking one back which was Burns. Maryland just simply out recruited us. The same strategy they used to lure McFarland is the same strategy they attempted to do with the CB who signed with Penn State, the difference is Franklin was smart enough to recruit against it. The mistake we can make in 18 is not going after TJ Pledger, kid reminds me of Duke but not as good as Duke.

WR: A-

We made good adjustments late and brought in needed speed. Harley route running has improved tremendously.

OL: B+

Dykstra should have not been in this class when kids like Caleb Chandler were out there. I also would have added another center Case Cook from Georgia in addition to Gaynor whom I love for depth reasons. Recruit for today and tomorrow and create competition. Herbert was a BIG steal.

TE: D+

Polendey is not a good route runner, his greatest attribute is blocking. From experience every freshmen TE will have to learn how to block, if Polendey is not as good as a blocker as some think on a college level, he will have difficulty contributing.

DE: A-

Love this class, Kool may be the best recruiter on our staff. I would have tried to steal Joshua Paschal at the last minute from Kentucky. Teams like Kentucky and Duke should never get a top football recruit.

DT - F

Depth concerns looking forward. Jon Ford plays high at times but is athletic, Kool will do wonders.

LB - C+

We settled when we had the opportunity to go after Georgia LB’s, a state Richt knows best.

CB – C+

Bandy is a true cane, love his mentality. I blame Richt and the director of recruiting for this position, we simply went after the wrong targets. Been screaming for years now on this site to go after Ameer Speed (6’3 195 100m-10.7) and Keisean Nixon(top 2 imo Juco corner). Also would have been bold and tried to acquire Chad Wilson in a Recruiting Intern role to lure Marco. With that Wilson definitely should not be welcomed back to the U. Also next cycle we need to go after Asante Samuel.

S – B-

Amari Carter is a very intelligent player; he will learn the playbook faster than any incoming freshmen.

Overall, I put the class at about an B. ESPN said it best, the state Florida and Georgia was in the top 4 for most ESPN300 players. We abandon Georgia this cycle, a state Richt knows best. Moving forward I would like to see us keep Brown as RB coach only and bring in a OC/QB coach to replace Jon Richt. Next class should be speed speed and more speed. That means not ******** over kids like Shivers or Ford when you can take care of KOR for the next four years. Richt definitely gets it he just gets it sometimes to late. Recruit chemistry and stay in Florida next cycle.

I love this class. This is the first time in forever where we weren't reaching and scrambling a week before signing all these guys were identified and targeted months ago. No James Kings, delmar Taylor, deroriser, etc. first time in a while I can say that. We may have missed on 3 or 4 guys but we didn't settle for inferior talent like we did with the last staff to just fill a class up. These coaches know what they're doing.

QB - B Perry and Weldon might be good, they might not.
RB - D Whiff.
TE - D Whiff
WR - C+ Can't miss on Jeudy, Grimes, Smith, Holiman, and expect a higher grade than this.
OL - B We landed a couple good players. Missed on Slaton.

DL - A- Very high on DJ and Garvin
LB - C Very average. None of these kids were highly recruited national guys, but it wasn't a huge area of need either
DB - C Missed on so many top guys - Henderson, Edwards, Davis, ***an, etc. Not as high on Carter as most.
P/K - A I think Feagles is a very good player. Very happy with this pickup.

Overall grade is a C in my opinion. Honestly I was expecting better from Mark Richt.

QB - B Perry and Weldon might be good, they might not.
RB - D Whiff.
TE - D Whiff
WR - C+ Can't miss on Jeudy, Grimes, Smith, Holiman, and expect a higher grade than this.
OL - B We landed a couple good players. Missed on Slaton.

DL - A- Very high on DJ and Garvin
LB - C Very average. None of these kids were highly recruited national guys, but it wasn't a huge area of need either
DB - C Missed on so many top guys - Henderson, Edwards, Davis, ***an, etc. Not as high on Carter as most.
P/K - A I think Feagles is a very good player. Very happy with this pickup.

Overall grade is a C in my opinion. Honestly I was expecting better from Mark Richt.

I rate this post a D+ troll job. Grades were too low at positions of strength to be taken seriously, and you couldn't help but throw the best grade at the punter. That's just too over the top to get the sort of response you're looking for. Next time, be a little more disciplined in your trolling. Now go back under your bridge and think about how you can improve for next year.

Advertisement
Back