My thoughts on this class (w/ grades)

Advertisement
This is a B+ class, we are ranked #11 in the country on 247. Yes, we missed on a few guys that are a bit of a disappointment. We did a fantastic job in our offensive line recruiting which was seen as our weakest unit last season. We not only recruited talented lineman, but guys that can contribute right away. Miami hasn't been strong in the trenches since the early 2000s, we are off to a good start with this class. I'm excited to see how we develop as a team. Let's get to work!!!

We're all looking at the same class, so I'll keep it short and sweet: B+.

B to maybe a B+

too many misses to get into A range plus we basically have no RB since Burns hasn't played in 3 years

I give it a B, maybe a B+. In order to start making a difference, though, were gonna have to pull in top 8 classes going forward.

Advertisement
Like many of you, I was expecting a tremendous close to our class, the likes of which we haven't seen in some time. While that didn't come to fruition, this is still a very very strong group. As of right now, we are undersigned by 4, which shows me we are signing for quality over quantity with room to add in the grad transfer market.

QB: A

We signed the consensus top rated QB in the state and another kid in Weldon who is already on campus and probably a dark horse to start in his own right.

RB: B-

McFarland hurts without question. He'd been penciled in for months and I think it's fairly clear that some funny business went down in the last 24 hours of his recruitment. It was a down year locally at the position, and while Burns is talented, he's essentially a complete unknown. We absolutely need and should expect a grad transfer, because Walton, Homer, Choc and Burns is a thin unit. Lingard is our #1 player on our board in 2018 and a must-sign.

WR: A

What a difference a month makes. Harley and Thomas are elite, speedy talents who will be on the field right away. Holloman is a good prospect but their additions more than make up for missing on him. Njoku is underrated just as his brother was coming out of high school. Pouncey is a nice looking prospect but happy we kept the scholarship for next year. Smith keeps this from being an A+ haul but i'm splitting hairs here.

OL: A+

Tremendous job by Searles and staff. Donaldson is a Day 1 starter and Herbert was a heck of a pull given where we stood just a few weeks ago. Gaynor may be my favorite recruit in this entire class and our future anchor at Center. Hillery is a very intriguing OL prospect and Dykstra is a solid developmental guy. Couldn't have asked for a better finish at this spot.

TE: B

Polendey is a nice addition to go with what we already have at the position. McKitty would have seen the field early but we are fine here with Herndon, Haskins and Irvin.

DE - A

DJ Johnson is a 5 star talent and Garvin may be the most under-appreciated player in Florida this cycle. We continue to stack chips at this position.

DT - B

Jon Ford is a solid addition but would have liked to have seen another kid brought in for depth. We are obviously quite deep at DT right now, but this will be a huge priority position in 2018.

LB - B+

Wayne Steed is a classic South Florida MLB and I really like Jennings' fit in Diaz's scheme. Gotta love that both are early enrollees.

CB - B

Bandy is the best CB prospect in South Florida and should be our #3 corner to start the season. He's a dog and fits what we are trying to do on defense to a T. Dean will start on the boundary and was also an extremely important signing. Still, we failed to land guys like Marco Wilson, Stanford Samuels (legacy to FSU), and most importantly, CJ Henderson. I never thought Henderson was an instant impact guy like the prospects we signed, but given that he was Bandy's teammate and was trending our way, this is a tough beat. Much like RB, we need a grad transfer here and an infusion of talent in 2018. Ivey and Jobe are great starts.

S - B

I'm pretty bullish on Amari Carter and think he starts right away. Smith is a big hitter and should contribute on special teams as a freshman. I honestly don't think losing out on Edwards was that big a thing but Frierson and Hall are musts in 2018.

Overall, I put the class at about an A-.

An honest grading:

QB - B+. Have who i think will be the future starter in Weldon, and maybe a change of pace Qb in Perry.

RB - C+ Nothing excites me about this position

WR - A needed some skill payers and they delivered. One think keeping me from an A+, is that Thomas and Harley are small.

OL - B/B+ Really like Donaldson, to me the most important recruit we got. Will be starting Guard for 3 - 4 years here. The others will need time to develop and then see if they are just depth or future starters.

DE - B+ expect DJ to get in the rotation early. Garvin solid signing also.

DT - C+ /B- No big deal because we have numbers with experience here. Will take a few years to get on the rotation.

LB - B Again, we are so young here, no need for immediate PT.

CB - C+ Would have been higher if we would have gotten Henderson. Biggest position far by our staff.

S - B/B+ Carter will be very good, and also where I expect DJ to end up at.

I give grade of B/B+. Overall a very successful class, Almost made top 10. And made top 3 in ACC.

We got our starting CBs and get 100s of pages crying about the backups and developmental guys flaking out.

Running Back is is D

1. Burns has been hurt for 2 years - a total ???
2. McFarland miss when he got paid
3. No backup plan by the staff to #2
4. Already thin at RB - should have been recruiting 2+ RBs.

This is a staff ***** up

Advertisement
247 Ranks Miami 11th and ESPN has them at 13th. Out of 128 teams. And crybabies on here are talking about B- or C grades. The only place I might disagree with OP is running back. Burns is an A+ talent but a D- injury risk. Had they signed McFarland, I'd have given them an A or B+. Not getting Henderson affects CB but I'd put him behind Dean and Bandy in terms of CBs who can play next year for us.

So much incoming speed and so much badly needed OL help. They didn't just sign good players, they signed good players at need positions.

Too many Sausage Eating Sunshine Pumpers on this board.

QB - A
RB - D (did not meet depth need)
WR - B+
TE - C
OL - A+
DE - A
DT - C- (did not meet depth need)
LB - B
CB - C (did not meet depth need)
S - B-

RB is C- or D because Burns has been injured for almost two years and he's our only back in this class.

QB - A+
RB - F
WR - A
TE - C
OL - A+
DE - A
DT - B
LB - B-
CB - B
S - B
P - B

Advertisement

QB - A
WR - B+
TE - C
OL - A+
DE - A
LB - B
S - B-

Totally agree with DT - its a low C or D. Does anyone realize that our entire two deep DT's could be leaving after next season??? We need at least one more DT in this class. We need to stack and develop this position. Is Logan in play? Anyone else?

I say a solid B. Given the surrounding talent base we should never be hurting for DB's, WR's, or RB's. We are thin at two of those three. Could be worse but we have to pull in the top guys next class. At least we no longer take guys who don't belong just to fill a class. Good class but we can and should do better.

Advertisement
RB is a D, the only thing bringing it up from F was how bad of a year it was down here so fortunately we didn't miss out on any elite prospects. I don't know if TE is a B or an F, that's one of the tougher spots to judge because so many highly touted TEs don't pan out and lots of guys with tools can develop.

Most disappointing position is DB where we had a chance to truly "stack chips" with Edwards and Henderson. The current class is a solid B+, it could have been excellent. But I'm not worrying about those 2 khunts anymore. We were their first offers, gave them the red carpet treatment over the entire cycle, and had playing time available right away. They can rot in gainesville like the turds they are.

QB - A
WR - B+
TE - C
OL - A+
DE - A
LB - B
S - B-
This.

LOL at RB being anything more than a D. We got one guy that hasn't played in two years. On paper that is absolutely terrible and deserves an F grade in all honesty.
As for DT, I would say B-/C+. Didn't seem like the staff was too concerned about getting a DT so I can't knock them if they didn't feel a big necessity to get more guys.

Everything else is spot on.

Overall class is a B- to a B.

Advertisement
Back