My thoughts on Olsen's Spring Game

What Olsen needs is someone other than freaking Gray Crow to push him. Kaaya will give him the competition he needs to bring out the animal.

not trying to discount your post but olsen was running second the entire spring behind williams. if that wasn't enough to push him what makes you think kaaya is going to push him?

Exactly. When you move to the starter because of INJURY and not because of PLAY, you shouldn't feel so safe.

Tyler Cherubini only got to start because of injury, where is he now?

Advertisement
Should send him to work with Kaaya's quarterback coach for the fast track to Division I football weekend camp that has Kaaya ready to take over.

Biggest thing I've noticed about KO from both the Spring game and seeing some practices is he's got accuracy issues. His decision making actually isn't that bad, he often throws to the open receiver but the ball has a tendency to sail on him.

So there's good and bad news there. The issue is accuracy problems aren't always the easiest things to fix. QB's tend to keep that forever like luggage.

Let's see how he looks in August.....that kid better have a sense of urgency and live, eat, and breathe football from this point forward. Kaaya was handpicked by Coley...you better believe he'll get a look and a fair shot to outright win the job.

Advertisement
I agree there are accuracy issues - to me it looks more mental than mechanical, not that one is any either to fix than the other...

Fall camp should be fun!

Olsen faults, were due to not having much time in the kitchen with all the ingredients we have to offer. He did seem to have an eye for #9, and also showed good. In throwing the ball away, and stepping up in the pocket. He just needs to get to know the guys he will be playing with, and trusting them.

He has good pocket presence. He just needs to trust the OL, and get the timing of the routes down with his new toys.

Also understand, we didn't really come out with a huge playbook for the showing. More times than not. Coley has shown since being here. He can game plan extremely well for at least the 2 opening drives. Before the wheels fall off. That was absent from the practice that was show the other day.

Give the young man the summer, and if things don't get better. Then i can see jumping all over his ****, but for the time being. Lets give him a little time to grow into his new role. Hopefully with Kaaya coming in. The kid is as good as the gurus think, and it will give Olsen a solid opponent to compete against.

Last edited:
I agree there are accuracy issues - to me it looks more mental than mechanical, not that one is any either to fix than the other...

Fall camp should be fun!

Yeah that's the hope. If it's mental then the increased reps he'll get during summer practice should mitigate that and you'll see less misfires. That is , however, the biggest thing to watch for in regards to Olsen going forward. He needs to keep the ball down and give his playmakers a chance....the receiving corp is pretty stacked so he doesn't need to be a hero.

Fall camp should be fun!

Yeah that's the hope. If it's mental then the increased reps he'll get during summer practice should mitigate that and you'll see less misfires. That is , however, the biggest thing to watch for in regards to Olsen going forward. He needs to keep the ball down and give his playmakers a chance....the receiving corp is pretty stacked so he doesn't need to be a hero.

That's the big hope I have - you honestly couldn't ask for a better situation as a young QB. Stud RB, seasoned OL, veteran WR core - just keep us out of harms way.

Advertisement
ive been to most of the practices and scrimmages and i can say he did look better there than he did at the spring game

he hasnt gotten that many reps with the first team, so im going to give him the benefit of the doubt with the spring game, as the OP said the problems he showed in the spring game can be fixed, the kid has the talent to be a great QB

According to the folks that actually attend the practices, he's looked a lot better in practice than what he did on Saturday.

That doesn't exactly give me great comfort for him making his first start against Louisville though.

Me neither. Pocket presence is something that is hard to teach but should get better with experience. People talk about Winston because he was a RS frosh too but his pocket presence was light years ahead of his time from the beginning. The upside is there's lots of time this summer and our skill positions are as talented as they've been in a long time collectively. Bad news is we are going to need to score a lot of points, not just play field position.

Last few days were probably a whirlwind for him so I expect it should get easier.

The statement in red is the key. How long will it take him to get his nerves together when the lights really come on and the little red non-contact jersey comes off? The obvious defensive plan against us - at least initially - will be to load the box and test his arm and his confidence in himself.

Advertisement
What Olsen needs is someone other than freaking Gray Crow to push him. Kaaya will give him the competition he needs to bring out the animal.

not trying to discount your post but olsen was running second the entire spring behind williams. if that wasn't enough to push him what makes you think kaaya is going to push him?

Golden had already planned for Williams to start imo.

He will be fine if we can run the ball and play defense. We get into shoot outs and its big trouble. Really no different though than if Williams was starting.

This is really impossible to tell based on the lack of information and evidence available.

Well everything is an opinion I guess. I don't think Williams is some great qb. IMO he would have been a game manager who tried to limit mistakes. Those guys need running games and the defense to pick up some slack. He probably would have been a better game manager than Olson but we weren't gonna go out and win games on the arm of Ryan Williams.

Advertisement
I agree with a lot of the statements on here about him not looking comfortable and pushing the ball. I had the chance to watch the game in person and sit near his brother (Greg) who was sitting in the stands like just another random guy, besides being huge in stature. Greg was clearly frustrated with the play of his younger and even after the game when Kevin walked over to speak to the family, Greg was questioning him and getting on his case a bit. With the help of his brother and time I think he'll be a really good QB...possibly the best since Dorsey even though that isn't saying much.

I thought his play fakes were horrible. That plus happy feet & pat the ball 3 times before you throw it.

Was not a good look for our starting QB to finish the spring season with.

I hope he irons out the wrinkles before Labor Day.

I thought his play-fakes were okay, just not great. He looked like he was over-thinking them, but at least he was turning the right direction toward the RB...

Advertisement
Back