My takeaways after yesterdays game plus an outlook for the future.

How you not tackle at practice? And after missing hundreds of tackles a game how is it not much emphasis on it. Back in college we only went thud only on Thursday before walk through Friday. Had a game where we missed a gang of tackles we went full pads from that Sunday through walkthrough Friday before the game. I knew something was off with these guys missing so many tackles. I’ve seen high schools practice tougher than this weak mess. Unreal.
Because manny never played football., that’s how! I keep saying this and people keep ignoring it. Said this for 6 years!!

Advertisement
Because manny never played football., that’s how! I keep saying this and people keep ignoring it. Said this for 6 years!!
I’ve been screaming this for 6 years! But the slurpers always come back with a list of bums that have never won a **** as a head coach like Paul Johnson, mike leach or David cutcliff . The saddest part of those three coaches are a hundred thousand miles better then manure!

WHEN WILL PEOPLE REALIZE WE HAVE THE WORST COACH IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HE IS AND WILL FOREVER BE IN OVER HIS HEAD. HE SUCKS AND HAS NO CLUE HOW TO COACH FOOTBALL HES A MAKE A WISH KID ON GHE SIDEINEW THE BOT GAVE A JOB TOO BC OF WHO HIS DADDY IS
His Daddy bought him a toy, for all concerned, a few Madden carts would have been a better option..

Manny officially lost me last night. Many will say I waited too long, but I am never the "Fly the Banner" guy - a new coach always means your recruiting class falls apart and it then becomes a total rebuild, which we haven't had any success with. I was (am still am) rooting for Manny to turn it around, but both sides of the ball are simply a mess.

The inside zone run over and over, into Tite lines, while Donaldson and Gaynor are losing at the point of attack to smaller guys constantly. The RPO with King when some combination of his limitations as a passer, his height, an OL he doesn't trust, and a serious knee injury. The penalties and drops. The personnel and unwillingness to at least try out younger guys and see if they have it when the lights are on.

The soft coverage when the best trait of our starting DBs (I include Ivey here) is their size, combined with the lack of pass rush - we can't get home, yet we still give them 8-10 yards without even trying to disrupt the routes to maybe give the pass rush an extra second to get there. And then all we do is delayed blitzes behind this? I guess I can understand it vs Bama when they had WRs that could just run right past our guys and an OL/QB combo that could make us pay for being too aggresive - but vs App State? Why don't we just have guys like Bolden and Flagg blitzing off the edge? Antrelle Rolle didn't disguise when he was coming, and he was one of the best blitzing DBs we've had in recent memory.

I don't have all the answers, but I am not at practice every day nor am I getting mid 7 figures to figure it out. Where I finally flipped to the dark side was the post-game presser. Saban tore into his team on Monday, and again after the game last night. I don't expect Manny to be Saban, and everyone has their own style, but when you are the University of Miami and you, as HC, are constantly talking about the "Miami Standard," then you need to tear into your guys and let them know this wasn't good enough.

Harley needed to be benched after his drops. He sat for a while I think, but he was right back in. Give those reps to X or Brinson/B Smith. Find a way to get K Smith more involved when he is tearing it up like that. Reward the guys who make plays, even if it means taking some of those snaps from the guy that is the 1st one in the weight room and the last to leave.

It's gonna be a tough go without Chaney and Kenotra. Carter played one of his best games last night (at least from watching live), but our whole LB core can't be converted DBs. Just roster mismanagement and recruiting failures. At some point, the HC has to be held accountable for this, and that time has come for me.

I had high, but realistic, hopes for this season. I do not expect championships, or even ACC championships. I didn't expect to beat Bama. But I do expect progress, and we don't see that. No player development, no coaching to fit the players. Manny needs to go, and I am not sure he is even a FBS DC at this point. I am serious when I say I don't even know if he has a future in football - he is a horrible position coach, and not to be a ****, but his lisp will keep him from getting a job as an analyst. He would probably be a decent AD, with all the rah rah bullisht. But this needs to be his last season.
Some people need to admit that App State is a very good team. Carter had a great game! Canes could sure use one of the App RB's right about now.

Advertisement
We are not a well coached team and no one should argue that. Manny teams seem never prepared for a fight. His position that he specializes in has been the weakest for years and it’s not the kids fault. It’s coaching and scheme. Saban DB’s are legit, Dabo’s WR are legit, Jimbo and his QB’s. The biggest thing that bothers me with this team is there is no fear or consequence for failing. Busted assignment all game long and didn’t see once someone getting their *** handed to them or sitting on the bench.

Watching the taint game yesterday, they were talking about Cristobal saying under Jimmy Johnson, practices were always harder than the games. Manny is too concerned about being their friend and not their coach.

Another season slip sliding away!

I’m not gonna hate on King. He has his limitations but is not lacking in pride. The last scoring drive showed that.
And he did have acl surgery less than nine months ago. He is going to need a few games. He is not great but he does do some damage with his legs which were taken from him. I think he will improve over the next few weeks. Hope I'm right.

Manny isn't detailed orientated enough.
Yep it’s been mentioned here he’s a stats coach and I’ll take it a step further and say he’s a results only guy. This isnt the NFL. Bad wins against inferior teams don’t mean anything when you aren’t a top 5 team. A&M yesterday can push that game off and just be glad they escaped bc they are a contender and lost their QB. But Miami cant. Everything isn’t equal and the eye test matters.

When you are teaching the game to kids it’s all about the process and getting better. In college you will see new schemes every week and have to make adjustments. Manny doesn’t know how to do that.

Advertisement
Usually I am not known here for being the negative Nancy, I actually defended Manny, Lashlee and King for quite some time, but I´ve had it. I will split this up in certain areas and go from there.

1. We got very lucky.

There are several reasons as to why I make that statement:

- Chase Brice was their QB.
- Their head coach refused to let Peoples run the ball for some very odd reason that I have not figured out.
- They didnt stick to what they do well and executed horribly in key situations (again, because of Brice)

If App State turns up with a somewhat decent QB who does not misfire everything high, they win this game easily. Brice made some throws that made me question why no one else can play QB for them.

2. We still got outcoached.

Even with App State making mistakes, especially regarding their offensive personnel, they were much more prepared and played far better fundamentally sound football for four quarters. Based on the personnel they have and the talent they have, especially athletically, this should not have been a matchup highly favored for them. We have more speed, we are bigger and we had more talent at many positions. However, this coaching staff remains confident in a defensive scheme that is just utterly **** and there is an obvious disconnect between Lashlee and King at this point. But I will get into that one later.

App State went out in their 3-3-5, usually had three down lineman with one attacking the center, and let the linebackers fly around and make plays. They looked prepared and knew what the **** was up on every play. We didnt. We still do not know how to consistenly run the ball against Tite, we still run the same old Inside Zone play and it mind blows my mind how we still cannot run even a **** counter. A ******* counter is all I am asking for, try to get your speed on the perimeter... nope. No chance. You let an undersized D-Line dominate you with fundamentals on the inside and you run slow developing option plays with a QB who simply cannot execute it.

3. Kings spot might be in danger sooner than we think.

Which automatically leads me to this point. There is an obvious disconnect between King and Lashlee and the probable reason is that King cannot execute anything that Lashlee asks of him once an option play comes into it. The most dominant offensive strategy in college football is the RPO due to offensive lineman being allowed to whatever they want to do. Miami cant run it, because the QB either cant read the keys or reads it incorrectly. The amount of times where King hands off instead of tucking it and running freely and vice versa is so high, I have to question whether TVD cant execute it either. Its not his type of offense; the most success King had as a QB was when he played in Houston and had the keys to a Run and Shoot offense led by Kendall Briles. When Deriq King transferred away from Houston, it was due to poor offensive performances under Dana Holgorson, who is an Air Raid disciple. Lashlee ran a lot of Air Raid at SMU and we all saw how the offense throwing wise can be executed against Oklahoma State last season. Looking back at it, I was baffled to see how well Perry played while having 6 and 8 as his outside receivers against a good defensive unit.

There was one play at the end of the game, Deriq King took the snap and faced a three man rush. Not even a heavy one, App State just played coverage basically. King went through his reads while having no pressure and after three seconds suddenly decided to scramble right and hit Rambo on a two yard completion. I can guarantee to all of you, neither TVD or Garcia do that. They sit back and wait for someone to run free.

I get that there is a lot of criticism regarding Lashlee and I am the first one to agree with it. He currently playcalls a scared game because he is not trusting his QB. However, he is also not tailoring his offense to the personnel available and is not helping them out, whether thats run or pass. The analyst from the broadcast actually put it very well, they need to get KIng into a rhythm with simple throws. That didnt happen all game.

4. The fundamentals from this football team are the worst that I have seen from a football team.

With all due respect, everything this team teaches about fundamentals should be torn apart and lit on fire. Or, as Kevin Garnett once said to Craig Sager: "I dont care where you got this suit from. You take this and you burn it. So when you get done with this you should be buttass-naked." This team needs to be coached up from the ground up. Leverage, hand placement, leg drive, everything. Nobody makes an effort to ensure that the guy in better position can make a play. Everyone is fighting for themselves. I have never seen that. There is no set up, no disguise, nothing. Tackling is insanely bad, App State tackled miles better compared to what we do. The missed tackles App State had could be counted on one hand. Their defense is set up for the D-Line to do the dirty work and hold gaps, while linebackers and box safeties fly around and make plays.

And if we are at it with fundamentals: Penalties. Holy ****, this team does not learn. You got a TD on a big 4th down and it gets called back for an illegal formation. Thats ******* junior league. At least nobody got hit with a targeting, although Bolden almost took Tyrique out.

5. Manny Diaz is over his head. He wont make it.

When Manny made the defense his job in the offseason, I actually had somewhat high hopes. They have been squashed within two games. The scheme is the exact same as we always run, we substitute way too much, we are overreliant on sending the house because we do not have a coverage scheme that is, you know, good and even if we send the house, the QB throws in the flat or on a quick slant and its butt naked. Running a 4-2-5 these days is already not that smart, considering more and more top teams make the switch to stack defenses, three man fronts, whilst putting more and more speed on the field. We have been figured out years ago and still have not made any changes whatsoever. Players are frustrated and it really showed yesterday. Manny needs to throw his whole thing away and he needs to come up with something special against Michigan State, or his season will start 1-2 already. Football changes every season, yet we cannot come up with new things or adjust at all.

That wont change the future outlook to me already. The board apparently, as discussed here a few days ago, wants a coach who ensures that the football program makes profit, gets ranked and wins nine games on average. We are far, far, FAR away from that happening. It would be a revelation at this point if we started to play football like the assignment that its supposed to be. We play Gurvan Hall on Slot WRs and let him get burned because he cant do it, the D-Line is just doing whatever the **** they want, leaving the linebackers out for dry and they cant do anything in this defense, because they are literally left alone, only for the safeties to come downhill and try to clean the mess up. Every play-action pass includes a busted coverage, they had three TD worthy plays within like 10 minutes of game time, where PA happened, and receivers were buttnaked. CB dont play press at the line of scrimmage, receivers have free releases and no delays in their route. And I dont even want to talk about the zone defense this team plays... its awful. Guys are just standing in spots, not knowing where to go.

I dont have any hopes in Manny anymore. The danger of this season becoming a massive failure is as big as it has been. And if that happens, you can basically can it, because I have no faith in the board making two new hires (HC and AD). They rather sit it out to protect their precious money.

I will finish this thread with an observation: Camera pointed to Miamis sidelines more than once and I saw the same issue that I saw against Alabama: Nobody is getting coached up during the game. Thats a first in football for me and we should immediately stop with that. Its pathetic.
Thank you for a well thought out post. On point!

Usually I am not known here for being the negative Nancy, I actually defended Manny, Lashlee and King for quite some time, but I´ve had it. I will split this up in certain areas and go from there.

1. We got very lucky.

There are several reasons as to why I make that statement:

- Chase Brice was their QB.
- Their head coach refused to let Peoples run the ball for some very odd reason that I have not figured out.
- They didnt stick to what they do well and executed horribly in key situations (again, because of Brice)

If App State turns up with a somewhat decent QB who does not misfire everything high, they win this game easily. Brice made some throws that made me question why no one else can play QB for them.

2. We still got outcoached.

Even with App State making mistakes, especially regarding their offensive personnel, they were much more prepared and played far better fundamentally sound football for four quarters. Based on the personnel they have and the talent they have, especially athletically, this should not have been a matchup highly favored for them. We have more speed, we are bigger and we had more talent at many positions. However, this coaching staff remains confident in a defensive scheme that is just utterly **** and there is an obvious disconnect between Lashlee and King at this point. But I will get into that one later.

App State went out in their 3-3-5, usually had three down lineman with one attacking the center, and let the linebackers fly around and make plays. They looked prepared and knew what the **** was up on every play. We didnt. We still do not know how to consistenly run the ball against Tite, we still run the same old Inside Zone play and it mind blows my mind how we still cannot run even a **** counter. A ******* counter is all I am asking for, try to get your speed on the perimeter... nope. No chance. You let an undersized D-Line dominate you with fundamentals on the inside and you run slow developing option plays with a QB who simply cannot execute it.

3. Kings spot might be in danger sooner than we think.

Which automatically leads me to this point. There is an obvious disconnect between King and Lashlee and the probable reason is that King cannot execute anything that Lashlee asks of him once an option play comes into it. The most dominant offensive strategy in college football is the RPO due to offensive lineman being allowed to whatever they want to do. Miami cant run it, because the QB either cant read the keys or reads it incorrectly. The amount of times where King hands off instead of tucking it and running freely and vice versa is so high, I have to question whether TVD cant execute it either. Its not his type of offense; the most success King had as a QB was when he played in Houston and had the keys to a Run and Shoot offense led by Kendall Briles. When Deriq King transferred away from Houston, it was due to poor offensive performances under Dana Holgorson, who is an Air Raid disciple. Lashlee ran a lot of Air Raid at SMU and we all saw how the offense throwing wise can be executed against Oklahoma State last season. Looking back at it, I was baffled to see how well Perry played while having 6 and 8 as his outside receivers against a good defensive unit.

There was one play at the end of the game, Deriq King took the snap and faced a three man rush. Not even a heavy one, App State just played coverage basically. King went through his reads while having no pressure and after three seconds suddenly decided to scramble right and hit Rambo on a two yard completion. I can guarantee to all of you, neither TVD or Garcia do that. They sit back and wait for someone to run free.

I get that there is a lot of criticism regarding Lashlee and I am the first one to agree with it. He currently playcalls a scared game because he is not trusting his QB. However, he is also not tailoring his offense to the personnel available and is not helping them out, whether thats run or pass. The analyst from the broadcast actually put it very well, they need to get KIng into a rhythm with simple throws. That didnt happen all game.

4. The fundamentals from this football team are the worst that I have seen from a football team.

With all due respect, everything this team teaches about fundamentals should be torn apart and lit on fire. Or, as Kevin Garnett once said to Craig Sager: "I dont care where you got this suit from. You take this and you burn it. So when you get done with this you should be buttass-naked." This team needs to be coached up from the ground up. Leverage, hand placement, leg drive, everything. Nobody makes an effort to ensure that the guy in better position can make a play. Everyone is fighting for themselves. I have never seen that. There is no set up, no disguise, nothing. Tackling is insanely bad, App State tackled miles better compared to what we do. The missed tackles App State had could be counted on one hand. Their defense is set up for the D-Line to do the dirty work and hold gaps, while linebackers and box safeties fly around and make plays.

And if we are at it with fundamentals: Penalties. Holy ****, this team does not learn. You got a TD on a big 4th down and it gets called back for an illegal formation. Thats ******* junior league. At least nobody got hit with a targeting, although Bolden almost took Tyrique out.

5. Manny Diaz is over his head. He wont make it.

When Manny made the defense his job in the offseason, I actually had somewhat high hopes. They have been squashed within two games. The scheme is the exact same as we always run, we substitute way too much, we are overreliant on sending the house because we do not have a coverage scheme that is, you know, good and even if we send the house, the QB throws in the flat or on a quick slant and its butt naked. Running a 4-2-5 these days is already not that smart, considering more and more top teams make the switch to stack defenses, three man fronts, whilst putting more and more speed on the field. We have been figured out years ago and still have not made any changes whatsoever. Players are frustrated and it really showed yesterday. Manny needs to throw his whole thing away and he needs to come up with something special against Michigan State, or his season will start 1-2 already. Football changes every season, yet we cannot come up with new things or adjust at all.

That wont change the future outlook to me already. The board apparently, as discussed here a few days ago, wants a coach who ensures that the football program makes profit, gets ranked and wins nine games on average. We are far, far, FAR away from that happening. It would be a revelation at this point if we started to play football like the assignment that its supposed to be. We play Gurvan Hall on Slot WRs and let him get burned because he cant do it, the D-Line is just doing whatever the **** they want, leaving the linebackers out for dry and they cant do anything in this defense, because they are literally left alone, only for the safeties to come downhill and try to clean the mess up. Every play-action pass includes a busted coverage, they had three TD worthy plays within like 10 minutes of game time, where PA happened, and receivers were buttnaked. CB dont play press at the line of scrimmage, receivers have free releases and no delays in their route. And I dont even want to talk about the zone defense this team plays... its awful. Guys are just standing in spots, not knowing where to go.

I dont have any hopes in Manny anymore. The danger of this season becoming a massive failure is as big as it has been. And if that happens, you can basically can it, because I have no faith in the board making two new hires (HC and AD). They rather sit it out to protect their precious money.

I will finish this thread with an observation: Camera pointed to Miamis sidelines more than once and I saw the same issue that I saw against Alabama: Nobody is getting coached up during the game. Thats a first in football for me and we should immediately stop with that. Its pathetic.
I have been saying #3 since last year. Lashlee doesnt want to run Malzahn type with a running QB. He wants to throw the ball around like at SMU. But King cant make the reads and throws. Next year when Garcia(my guess) or TVD are back their the offense will look alot different.

Advertisement
Great post OP. I thought Peoples would run for 2 bills against Miami. He was averaging over 6 yards a pop and they just went away from him.

Advertisement
Woooow! I never heard this. Are you being serious?? It explains everything

many coaches have stated that what they see in practice on Wed/Thursday is invariably what they see on game days.

Miami looks like a boxer that does a lot of fancy pad-work, but simply doesn't spar enough..

If they had a decent QB, we wouldn't stand a chance.
That high ball on that punt is the only difference. When that happened, I asked myself, what are the chances that is the difference in the score at the end of the game? Too bad I’m not a betting man.

Missing guys wide open , tripping going in for a td and dropping a bunch of easy catches that win the game is unforced errors , meaning we didn’t make it happen. They whipped out butts in every facet while being far less talented , and a lot smaller.

Coaching is an issue , at this point I can’t believe people are defending the last three years. It’s almost like Scientology lol. All we can go on is what we’ve seen for three years and bad coaching is the one constant. Luckily we have more talent than most teams we’ll play.
It’s almost like people forget we lost to FIU...

Advertisement
Back