My Post Game Recap

Advertisement
I honestly don't get why Richards and Langham can't be on the field at the same time. Like seriously I do think Langham deserves more PT, but seriously its shouldn't be at the cost of Richards, even if Richards has had a bad two weeks. Richards is by far our best WR.

My own observations being at the game:

1) Their Dline mauled our Oline for the most part. They collapsed the pocket on Rosier and there was nowhere to run for the backs.
2) We kept Ahmonn lined up on the short side and UNC was able to bracket him with the corner and safety. He needs to be moved around so that he can get 1 on 1 matchups.
3) Nobody was open much in the 1st half and Rosier is too erratic to fit balls into tight windows. 2nd half we had guys running free (especially Jeff Thomas), but Rosier is one read and so either doesn't see them or is inaccurate. It's a crime we don't run shallow crosses with Richards and/or Thomas or whip routes for Berrios.
4) Again our Dline was being held constantly. The fact that other teams are never called for it is egregious.
5) We seriously lack speed at LB and S.

Pass, Pass, pass was all we did today. At least try to run it a bit. This was crazy play calling. I am going to sacrifice a chicken or a pig to the voodoo gods so we can win out.

Is that Santeria or something else? My people used to sacrifice lambs but not recently. If it will help I'll throw my goldfish in the toilet. I just need some good goldfish-in-the-toilet prayers. I don't know where to begin looking for them.

Advertisement
Once again I'm baffled by the usage of Chris Herndon

ive given up on trying to figure it out. I mean last year i was having a hard time with Njoku's usage. This year is even more confusing...other than a bubble and the post today...we have NO plays in the playbook for him at all. Dude is a serious threat.

Herndon is going to have a really good nfl career, imo.

Dude is better than folks even realize.

The OL has to step up for once. I am sick of watching these highly recruited big *** dudes getting no push in the run game and getting beat like a bunch of Miss Nancy's in the pass game.

Advertisement
View attachment 52825

- Malik Rosier 16/38 356yds 3TD's & 1INT
- Travis Homer 16att 40yds 2.5ypc, 3rec 57yds
- Jeff Thomas 3rec 101yds 1TD
- Braxton Berrios 7rec 78yds 1TD
- Chris Herndon 2rec 60yds 1TD
- Deejay Dallas 1rec 49yds

Offense: Gained 415yds total, but was 4-17 on 3rd down.

Offense played like sh*t, this was our worst showing of the season offensively.
Either Rosier was legitimately hurt, or this was just one of his really off days, where the Hot/Cold Rosier just couldn't heat up all day.

Offensive line was pretty **** bad for most of the game, they were getting blown off the line like crazy. Darling, Mahoney & Gauthier struggled mightily. St. Louis & McDermott had their moments as well, overall terrible performance.

All Ima say about the run game is, for everybody that used to harshly criticize Walton for not doing anything against ACC opponents, I'm just curious what you'll have to say about this one.

JT4 is excelling with more & more playing time, he's really coming into his own & becoming the game-breaker a lot of us knew he would be. The Turbo-boosters are sparked up on his cleats & he's hitting Homeruns over the last 2 weeks. Richt has to get him even more involved in the gameplan, the fact we haven't run a single Reverse with him is tragic. And why tf are we not running the Bubble Screen with him either?

Gotta get the ball more to Herndon, he's a guy that gets better with more touches. He's a NFL TE, we need to use him.

Berrios balled out & had some clutch catches. He's really stepped up and put this team on his back his Senior year. The Patriots are gonna absolutely love him! True Leader & True Cane.

Glad we finally used Deejay Dallas, he's an explosive kid, he's quicker rather than pure speed, but his 4.5 40 was on display. WTH took Richt so long to incorporate him in the Offense?!?

Love Coach Richt, Great leader & great man. But for the love of God, Pastor please UTILIZE YOUR WEAPONS! If your gonna stubbornly be the OC, then damnit use all these WR's we got, run some more creative plays out of the 4/5-wide sets that get these guys in one on one matchups. More sluggos & Shallow cross please. 15yd Deep Outs & a nice Post Corner route every once in a while wouldn't kill ya.

Defense: Caused 4 Turnovers, but gave up 428yds total & allowed UNC 27 1st downs.

- Jaquan Johnson 11tcks
- RJ McIntosh 11tcks 1TFL
- Joe Jackson 8tcks 1.5sacks 1.5TFL's 1FF
- Michael Jackson 6tcks 1INT 1PD
- Sheldrick Redwine 5tcks .05sacks .05TFL's & 1INT
- Michael Pinckney 5tcks
- Mike Smith 4tcks
- Darrion Owens 4tcks 1TFL
- Demetrius Jackson 3tcks 1sack 2TFL's
- Shaquille Quarterman 3tcks 1sack 1TFL
- Amari Carter 2tcks
- Anthony Moten 2tcks
- Chad Thomas 1TFL
- Charles Perry 1INT

Defense did a good job causing TO's in the 2nd half, but the Run Defense continues to struggle giving up 176yds today. QB's runs have been killing us this season. We need to start keeping a spy on the QB instead of always Blitzing our LB's. Maybe Shaq or McCloud need to stay on the QB & not just aimlessly Blitzing all the time.

The Secondary had lapses on 3rd down. Offenses have clearly seen on tape that on 3rd down that inside curl route is always open, literally every team we've played this year has converted 3rd & longs on that route. Diaz needs to start dropping our LB's in underneath coverage on that play. That Corrales kid was a bad matchup for our Corners, both Bandy & Young were beat by him.

Loved what I saw from Mike Jack, he's become a real Ballhawk & is very good in Deep Coverage.

Redwine played his absolute best game, he's really developing into a good FS for us. Makes mistakes no doubt, but when he's reading his keys & playing assignment Football, he's on.

For everybody wondering why Charles Perry get significant snaps, its because he's our fastest LB & is pretty good in coverage. He almost had a INT vs Toledo too.

McCloud is having a down year altogether. He's playing undisciplined & isn't handling his assignments, he's just basically out there playing one man Football. Not giving up on the kid at all, but he really needs to snap out of it & figure out what he's doing on the field.

McIntosh played like a man possessed, he was absolutely killing it on the interior & was even make down the field tackles. With what he's put on tape this season, we're looking at a 3 & done here. Hate that we'll be losing him, but Scouts/Coaches in the league are gonna love that kid.

Loved the Blocked Punt from Garvin, that kid has NBA type wingspan, he needs to get more snaps on those 3rd & long plays for us. He'll get sacks just off reaching over OL's and snatching the QB out the pocket.

Overall, I was completely disappointed we didn't crush this awful team, but if this is our worst performance this season, I'll take it. We still have a lot to clean up & we're by no means perfect, but as long as we continue to win I'm good with that.

Let's just hope Rosier, Richards, Delaney, Donaldson & Harley are all fully 100% healthy for Va Tech next week, we need all hands on deck.

Gonna have to play our best Football next week, it will be the most important game of the season for us. We beat Va Tech, we win the Coastal. I believe in this staff & this team, we'll get it done, Go Canes & Lets ride!

Great insight as always! We need everyone to be at their best vs VT. Looks like a prime time
game and we need to pack the Rock!

"15yd Deep Outs & a nice Post Corner route every once in a while wouldn't kill ya"

We don't pass pro well enough to do that kind of stuff with this Oline. They aren't consistent and need an infusion of talent. Richt as done a pretty good job, but he'll look like a genius next season and the season after when we have dudes who just blow people off the ball.

Last edited:
Liberty City (Homeboy) you have the patience of a Saint.

McCloud needs to sit. We sat Knowles and our Secondary improved. Physically, there is no reason he is not dominating. But this game is played inside the heart and between the ears.

Advertisement
psychology is very much a big part of CFB. If you look at this game, it had all the recipes for a let down mentally.

- UNC was coming off an AWFUL loss the prior week
- this was their homecoming game
- We, otoh, were just coming off almost 4 successive weeks of emotionally draining football
- Our 2 biggest games of the year are in the next couple weeks and this was the classic letdown look ahead game
- noon start

all of those things are killer in terms of the mental focus aspect of things. Yeah, it's disappointing how badly we played but not all together surprising considering these things.

Question for the X and O heads: it looked to me like there were a few series where we had Amari playing nickle linebacker...am I right or was he playing safety and coming down into the box?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back