My Post Game Recap - NC State

I hear ya. But we are undisciplined up front and rarely set the edge even when we aren’t blitzing or doing dumb stunts. Plus our DEs get way too far up field all too often when they rush. I just don’t like any of our defensive coaches. Our fundamentals are trash....

We need recruiters and great coaching/development. We need to produce 1st round talent. Miami has always been able to sign Safeties, and we’ve had Frosh play better than our Safeties now. I’m not impressed with Banda.

Where have you gone Sonny Lubick!?!?

Advertisement
Nothing ****es me off more then when I see Bolden, or Blades, or one of the DB's running their mouth after giving up a 20yd gain on a run...

Like STFU & get yo *** back to the huddle dummy (even though we don't actually huddle, you know what I mean lol).

Phillips plays reckless too, he does a lot of talking, which I can understand from a DL's perspective you usually want your DLineman to be a little crazy & have a mean streak, but it needs to be intelligent crazy, not stupid detrimental to the team crazy.

It's called controlled chaos & the best Defensive players are calculated with their trash talk, not just out there bumping their gums while getting embarrassed by lesser talent.

You can't lose your matchup & then talk slick like you just did something, that's *** backwards smh lol.
Phillips really needs more pash rush moves, everything he does seem to be some version of the bull rush

The showing the blitz before the snap is so infuriating. It’s too easy for the QB to hot route to his WRs. And they never pull out of it when they show. Way too predictable. This is basic stuff you can learn from playing video games lol

Like I've been saying all season, we need to ******* drop a bag to keep King. That would be huge for us, even though I don't see it happening.

Also I'm completely convinced Diaz is just an Al Golden, but with a system that at least fits Miami. I'll be incredibly surprised if this dude fires his friends without being forced to do so. Problem is we have zero people in this administration (should have hired Highsmith as Director Football Ops), that have any balls, standards, or intelligence to see that this isn't good enough.

Advertisement
I've tried to be as fair as I can, but the gloves are off now...

You know what I'm most ****ed at him about, it's not even necessarily his God awful play calling (even though that's more than enough), it's the fact he's from Houston & can't a recruit an incredibly talent rich region like Houston. Houston alone has 24 players in the NFL, that's just as much as Miami, actually more. Miami, Broward, PB, Tampa etc combined obviously have more, but Houston, Dallas & the East Texas region in general produce great talent annually & this ****head Corch has no access to any of them despite literally being from there & coaching there throughout his career.

Get him outta my face!

Great write up. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Manny wants to be like either Dabo or Eddy O, the DC has gots to go. What's the one thing those two had in common? An elite DC. You see what garbage LSU is without Aranda. Dabo fired his OC after 6 won season, then his DC after a 10 win season. Manny needs to follow suit. The straw that broke the camels back for Dabo was the WVA *** kicking. He fired Steele immediately after. Well, letting NC Sts garbage backup QB drop 41 points and bend the defense over is worse than that.

Last year Diaz had to basically take over play calling duties because Baker was so lost. I wouldn't be surprised if he has to do it again (or if he took over in the 4th quarter this game) . Two times in two years is a "time to cut bait" situation. Personally I would love to see Diaz go after Don Brown from the other UM at the end of the season. Brown wants out from Michigan (he interviewed for the Temple job that Diaz got) and Michigan fans want a scapegoat for always losing to OSU. I think Brown is one of the best DCs and if I'm not mistaken he runs a Miami 4-3. Then let him pick his on staff. The Rumph and Patke situation solves itself.

I was amazed that couch blitz got home at the end...looked like Hickman saw it and would just throw that way.

Couch made an AMAZING play.

The blitz wasn’t delayed. Couch was flying in at the snap. The running back did his job and set up perfectly to pic up Couch.

Couch wasn’t having it though. He matrixed buddy so quick and sidestepped his *** like a matador. Was all over the quarterback.

One of the most beautiful defefensive plays I have seen in a while.

my man I’m a 40 year old spaghetti bender in Central New York....I live and die canes football by you and a few others news.

if you catch one single scent of Blake gone, please tell me? I’m tired of my wife threatening to leave me because of my coursing him out in front of my daughter.

****. Blake bout to break up a happy home.

I see what you're getting at here, but comparing Jon Richt to Blake Baker, as bad as Baker has been, is still insane.

Lil' Richt was the most unqualified coach we have probably ever hired as a football program. He'll probably never have a comparably legitimate coaching job again in his life.

The Golden/Onofrio comparison is probably a bit more apt.

Baker isn't as bad as Jon Richt, I agree. My point, and maybe I wasn't clear, was that Manny was on that team, saw Richt lose his job over his inability to step away from the coordinator role and hire a killer OC, but still repeated the same mistake that Richt made.

I am willing to accept the continuity argument both after he was hired and after Enos self-immolated. But there's no excuse after this season. Heads need to roll and Manny needs to find a real DC and focus on being the HC.

... El, 100% agree with you on Richt. With a good OC he could have been special. He just didn't have it in him unfortunately. I don't like Manny as much at HC. But he's shown he's been willing to lean into the job. This is his last major challenge. He has to show he's willing to fire people he personally hired and developed, but who aren't cutting it. An elite HC puts the business before the friendship. Rumph is actually the easy cut, because Manny and he were never close. I won't 100% buy into Manny until he fires Baker and Patke.

Advertisement
It was 100%.

But Roche's a 5th year Senior & has be smart enough not to take the bait, that prick Center of there's Grant Gibson was doing some NBA/European futból style flopping on that play, all Roche had to do was not touch him & they wouldn't have been able to call anything.

I do agree though that this officiating crew was HORRID! And it was clear they were trying to Ohio State us at every turn.
Baker, Patke, Rumph, Banda and the 94 year old DL coach are all JAG. We are elite at nothing. It’s hard to watch. And it starts with Manny.
Banda can be kept for recruiting, if nothing else

Great write up. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Manny wants to be like either Dabo or Eddy O, the DC has gots to go. What's the one thing those two had in common? An elite DC. You see what garbage LSU is without Aranda. Dabo fired his OC after 6 won season, then his DC after a 10 win season. Manny needs to follow suit. The straw that broke the camels back for Dabo was the WVA *** kicking. He fired Steele immediately after. Well, letting NC Sts garbage backup QB drop 41 points and bend the defense over is worse than that.

Last year Diaz had to basically take over play calling duties because Baker was so lost. I wouldn't be surprised if he has to do it again (or if he took over in the 4th quarter this game) . Two times in two years is a "time to cut bait" situation. Personally I would love to see Diaz go after Don Brown from the other UM at the end of the season. Brown wants out from Michigan (he interviewed for the Temple job that Diaz got) and Michigan fans want a scapegoat for always losing to OSU. I think Brown is one of the best DCs and if I'm not mistaken he runs a Miami 4-3. Then let him pick his on staff. The Rumph and Patke situation solves itself.
Well said.

I like Don Brown, but he's a bit of an old guy, he's coached mainly in the Northeast his whole career I doubt he'd wanna come to Miami. Although most old people love to retire in Miami lol.

My first choice would be Marcus Freeman if he can be pulled away from Cincinnati, he's a young innovative coach with a great resume & would absolutely burn down the trail at Miami.

Another young coach I'd take a look at is Kevin Kane, Lashlee's old colleague at SMU. SMU isn't known for great Defense obviously but last year in 2019 they were 2nd in the nation in sacks, 3rd in TFL's & top 30 in turnovers.

****, I'd even try to get T-Rob from South Carolina.

But you're 1,000% correct, if Diaz wants to survive at Miami he's gotta shìtcan Baker & find an upcoming DC that can maturate & groove himself into a big time coordinator that will stay for a few years.

As long as he stays loyal to his cronies like Baker & Patke & continues to drag Rumph along making excuses for his subpar recruiting, then he'll be doomed to fail.

you guys have to remember that it's always going to be manny's defense. if he ever got rid of baker he would bring in someone similar who was young and willing to call a defense that was ultimately still manny's identity and scheme. the kevin steele, muschamp, don brown type coaches are not coming to coach manny's defense, and manny is not going to let someone else come in and change the identify of the defense. that defense is the entirety of who manny is as a coach. it's his whole career. that's not to say he isn't willing to adjust it (i.e. adding striker) but the entire reason he got to be the coach of miami is bcuz of the defense he's spent his entire career working on.

the dabo comparisons don't make sense -- dabo was never a coordinator in his career. he's not a scheme guy. manny hasn't been strictly a position coach since 2005. i'm sure manny could have taken a position coach job at a power 5 program after he washed out at texas but instead he chose to go coach at louisiana tech bcuz they let him run the defense. there is no brent venables walking through the door because the "brent veneables" guy (the defensive mastermind) on our staff is the head coach.

personally, i don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. the orgeron model looks great when you have joe brady and dave aranda, but when those guys leave you have to make new hires, and sometimes the new hire is bo pellini.

i've always found it interesting to compare manny and willie taggart, who himself was really never a coordinator before getting head coaching jobs. manny year one as miami HC and taggart year one as FSU HC were pretty similar -- flop seasons w/ some of the worst football the respective programs had ever seen. they both then tried to fix their problems in the same way, hiring an OC from a texas school to finally bring in a spread. the main reason why year 2 is working out better for manny is because he also went and got d'eriq king where taggart went and got alex hornibrook, but year 2 at FSU the bottom fell out of that defense. miami defense this year is well below the standard manny has established here but still rates more or less as average overall. if your head coach can provide stability on one side of the ball, it's much easier to fix problems. hiring coordinators on each side of the ball who each have full autonomy over scheme and being right w/ those hires every time is hard.

to a certain extent dabo is lucky that clemson can pay venables more than any other coordinator in college football because it prevents him from having to be right a second time.

(btw lemme be clear that none of this is a defense of blake baker lol.)

Advertisement
I dont know what the **** happened in the fourth quarter, maybe God turned the switch on in Bakers head.

Because suddenly, this defense A) woke up and B) played fundamentally well.

Fucqqq it we won. I’ve accepted this is a building block season for 2021 and 2022. Happy we keep winning these close games.
I'll take a win over a loss any day...

But, this Defense has drastically regressed & there's some serious fundamental issues with this team that need to be fixed fast.

I don't have lofty unrealistic expectations of this team, I'm fully aware they're still deeply flawed & lack functional depth to truly become a big time contender this year. We're still 1-2 recruiting classes away from being a real threat in the ACC.

However, with that said, we can do much better than what we been doing on Defense, especially playing against a team like NC St that was starting their lefty backup QB who was highly turnover prone coming into this game. There's no way on Earth he should've completed half the passes he did.

This Defensive staff needs a serious kick in the *** for that **** poor performance we put out there on the field.

Advertisement
Bruh...

Somebody might wanna slap me for saying this, but I honestly believe if Richt was our HC with Lashlee as OC & Manny as DC this team would win the ACC...

Crazy I know, I just think he's kinda lowkey exactly what we're missing a, true CEO style HC that is fair but also a hard disciplinarian. Say what you want about Richt & believe me I was very critical of his 2018 season here, but he's brought the Canes the most success we've had in 15 years.

The 2016 & 2017 Canes played the best ball we've played since 03 as crazy as that sounds.

Richt had his faults, but if he had an OC like Lashlee, he would've had even greater succes here (obviously barring any major health issues).
The Truth is the Truth, I kept saying while he was here, coach richt knows what he's doing, all the coach richt bashing never made sense, just a bunch of people being clowns, just think, people acted as if coach richt had been here 10years, the man came in went 9 & 4, than 10 & 3, than 7 & 6 with the crybaby squad and building an o-line. In the 3 short years his accomplishments showed he was among the top coaches in college football:

* 1st UM team to win a bowl game in around 10yrs!
* 1st 10win season in around 14yrs!
* 1st actually on field play coastal division champs in the 14years in the ACC!
* 1st ACC Championship game appearance!
* Brought back the 4-3 defense and identified the **** coach diaz ran could actually work here, as an old skool OC, coach richt knew if a d-co knew his **** from the interview!
* #1 pass defense I the nation 2018(which is why I disagree with the coach rumph criticism, our db's are put into position to make plays consistently between coach rumph and banda inspite of the non-sense blake baker keeps calling, it's the same as coach kehoe being here with garbage oc's, made him the scapegoat).
* Instantly upgraded &brought in national talent, Ahmon Richards 1st team Freshman all everything, brevin jordan, jt4 would've been u their as well had brad kaaya been the qb.
* Snapped the FSU streak which has started us on our 4 game winning streak against them now.
* Smashed notre shame, and. V-tech Primetime style!
* CFP Coach of the year!
* IPF iniatve!

This many accomplishments in 3 short years, never had a losing season here, but ****'s wanted him gone, ROFL, most that post here don't know **** about football!

Case in point, they started going in on coach likens, I said prior to the 1st harley breakout game, coach likens knows WTF he's doing, the last 2 games the results are starting to show, he might just be the best widereceiver coach we've had here since coach cj. I said not to long after he got here, the free lunch program and crybaby **** was over for the wr's. He forces his guys to be discipline in their route running and they have to earn playing time. Coach likens came in and established the standards in the wr room real quick, no handing out playing time just to keep young guys happy, he's actually forcing the wideouts to develop, so by the time they do get out their, they'll be a force that teams will have to contend with!

Advertisement
Back