My Jarren hype thread

Advertisement
Not saying he woulda been great but dude got pummeled his first start to the the tune of something ridiculous like 9 sacks at Doak..

Not the best way to break in your qb, dude was seeing ghost the rest of his career. Hopefully we dont put Jarren in similar position with a true freshman watching his backside.

Getting your quarterback hit relentlessly as his first experience of a level change in football is terrible management.

Many quality qbs have been destroyed throwing them to the wolves with bad protection.

It’s the coach’s job to get these guys some semblance of protection whether it be extra blockers, shorter drops, or more running.

A lot of offensive coordinators can’t or won’t adjust their systems enough and send young qbs into the lions’ den with nothing but a prayer and a “Go get ‘em, Kid. We believe in you.”

It’s better to lose a game playing it safe than to destroy the poise and confidence of a talented young gunslinger.

Getting your quarterback hit relentlessly as his first experience of a level change in football is terrible management.

Many quality qbs have been destroyed throwing them to the wolves with bad protection.

It’s the coach’s job to get these guys some semblance of protection whether it be extra blockers, shorter drops, or more running.

A lot of offensive coordinators can’t or won’t adjust their systems enough and send young qbs into the lions’ den with nothing but a prayer and a “Go get ‘em, Kid. We believe in you.”

It’s better to lose a game playing it safe than to destroy the poise and confidence of a talented young gunslinger.

Remember on the sideline at Doak in ‘05 when Kehoe pulled Kyle Wright aside before kickoff and whispered in his ear: “Trust your offensive line”?

That was pretty cool.

Yes, and having I believe 4 OC’s in 4 years didn’t help. Just to me, when I evaluate the position, there are 2 things that I look for first and foremost. And they’re nothing to do with coaching. The first is accuracy. I don’t care how strong your arm is, how big and fast you are....can you put the ball where you want it consistently. And 2nd is pocket presence, which essentially means do you feel the rush or do you see the rush? The great QBs feel it in a manner that’s almost breathtaking. A subtle move left/right, a half step up into the pocket, a slow roll away from pressure...all without taking your eyes away from the receivers and coverage down the field. Right away, this aspect scared the **** out of me with Wright. As soon as any defender flashed at all, it was pure panic mode with him. He either went into a shell or looked to run. Rosier was very similar that way as well....almost never looked to throw after he had to come off his initial set. If there was any movement in the pocket, he was sacked or he was running. That’s not the mark of an elite QB.

But back to wright, was he shellshocked early in his career due to bad protection? Did he suffer from poor coaching. Possibly, maybe even probably on both accounts. But he didn’t help himself much. He just didn’t have that natural feel for the position that the great ones do. Watch Aaron Rodgers sometime, but don’t look at the routes and don’t look at his throws. Look at his feet and his movement in the pocket in relation to where his linemen and the rushers are. It’s a work of art, honestly. Now, that’s obviously the gold standard. Nobody expects kids to be Aaron Rodgers. But those skills, on a much lower level, are what separates QBs.

I agree with you but its also interesting to see a totally different philosophy on QBs such as Urban Meyer's.

"Every great quarterback—the ones that we've had, and we've had great ones—the No. 1 characteristic is competitive spirit. No. 2 is toughness. No. 3 is ability to lead. No. 4 is intelligence, and then No. 5 is to [be able to] extend the play," Meyer said. "Notice I never said anything about arm strength, delivery."

I guess it can be argued that pocket presence and accuracy can be lumped into 4 & 5. Tebow couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, yet I don't think many would disagree that he should be considered an all time great college QB. In college you can get pretty far with a qb who is simply a superior athlete (see Vick, Tebow) even if he isnt accurate, but the system has to be designed around him.

Martell, for example, has an unreal shuttle time (3.96) and vertical (I think about 38"?) so there are offenses where he could be effective. Day at OSU and Enos at UM have offenses that require accurate QBs, so its just a bad fit for Martell. If Paul Johnson had had Martell at QB, and OL diving at defenders knees to slow down the pass rush, they would be one **** of a challenge to stop.

Problem is when you take the “we’re gonna run the ball to take the pressure off the QB” approach you wind up doing the opposite against good defenses. See Michigan and LSU as prime examples of that approach not working. Good defenses shut that **** down and you’re in 2nd and 3rd and long all the time.

We need to be diverse and unpredictable and coach it up. There’s zero reason that an OL full of 4 star guys should be so inept that we can’t block anyone. Run, but do so when they think you’re gonna pass, and be deceptive in your looks.

Advertisement
I agree with you but its also interesting to see a totally different philosophy on QBs such as Urban Meyer's.

"Every great quarterback—the ones that we've had, and we've had great ones—the No. 1 characteristic is competitive spirit. No. 2 is toughness. No. 3 is ability to lead. No. 4 is intelligence, and then No. 5 is to [be able to] extend the play," Meyer said. "Notice I never said anything about arm strength, delivery."

I guess it can be argued that pocket presence and accuracy can be lumped into 4 & 5. Tebow couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, yet I don't think many would disagree that he should be considered an all time great college QB. In college you can get pretty far with a qb who is simply a superior athlete (see Vick, Tebow) even if he isnt accurate, but the system has to be designed around him.

Martell, for example, has an unreal shuttle time (3.96) and vertical (I think about 38"?) so there are offenses where he could be effective. Day at OSU and Enos at UM have offenses that require accurate QBs, so its just a bad fit for Martell. If Paul Johnson had had Martell at QB, and OL diving at defenders knees to slow down the pass rush, they would be one **** of a challenge to stop.

Martell might have been better off in the Big 12.

Problem is when you take the “we’re gonna run the ball to take the pressure off the QB” approach you wind up doing the opposite against good defenses. See Michigan and LSU as prime examples of that approach not working. Good defenses shut that **** down and you’re in 2nd and 3rd and long all the time.

We need to be diverse and unpredictable and coach it up. There’s zero reason that an OL full of 4 star guys should be so inept that we can’t block anyone. Run, but do so when they think you’re gonna pass, and be deceptive in your looks.

This is why I like more quick short passes on first down.

You can often catch the defense keying the run and get some open space for your receivers.

2nd and 5 or 6 off a completion does wonders for the offense. The entire playbook is available. The qb built some confidence with a positive gain and the defense has to actually read a play post snap, instead of just crashing predictable tendencies like happened to us so often under Richt.

Convert a first down and the defense backs off a little next set, giving a bit more room to run, especially if you burned them on playaction.

Enos has to keep us on schedule and out of passing downs come **** or high water.

Matching his style of with our specific talent, I am highly confident he will do that sooner than later.

Last edited:
who does Jaren remind people of? Tyrod Taylor? would love to know what the qb gurus think, from the highlights he seems super calm in the pocket even under intense pressure.

He reminds me of
For some reason this guy reminds me of Donovan McNabb
View attachment 93291
That is absolutley perfect. I was thinking all day who he reminds me of & that is exactly who I couldn’t think of. Hopefully a little more clutch then the hudle puker tho lol

Advertisement
He reminds me of

That is absolutley perfect. I was thinking all day who he reminds me of & that is exactly who I couldn’t think of. Hopefully a little more clutch then the hudle puker tho lol
Mcnab was a guy i thought of but he was a monster and i wanted to punp my breaks and not set myself up. Dak is probably the perfect example he plays that same way. I also thought of Jason Campbell

Mcnab was a guy i thought of but he was a monster and i wanted to punp my breaks and not set myself up. Dak is probably the perfect example he plays that same way. I also thought of Jason Campbell
Eh I don’t see the Dak thing at all tbh.

Dez Bryant Jason Witten Cole beasley

Dez: tipped off his routes & couldn't catch...well past his prime
Witten: No yac ever...well past his prime
Beasley: more rap albums than pro bowls
Dak would be ranked higher as a QB than that trio of "weapons".

Advertisement
I felt good about Jarren's chances of taking the job this year as soon as we hired Enos. His having 4 years to play & grow with our talent at the skill positions is gonna pay off huge. With him behind center, Brevin & Will are gonna torch defenses for years to come and I expect will be centerpieces of the offense. Considering Jarren's inexperience, this wasn't the safe play by Enos & Diaz, but I'm confident it'll prove to be the right one. I think Jarren comes out strong vs UF & doesn't look back. We have a lot to look forward to...this is a game-changer.
Brevin and Will will be gone after next year

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back