MUST READ- Oral History on the 2001 Canes

Honesty. I didn't. Sports Illustrated covers talking about closing down the program, bad press everywhere, and the sanctions we got were pretty hard. I sincerely was grateful that we didn't get the SMU sudden death
So I knew the sanctions, I knew we were going to lose some ten scholarships for three consecutive years, and assumed we'd lose some serious games, just by being outmanned. I was pleasantly surprised that we did as well as we did, and Butch endeared himself to a lot of us by hanging tough.

A lot of folks were mad when he left, but all Miami had to do was meet him halfway on the buyout. That was the only thing left undone on the contract, and the U were dragging their feet on it, knowing good and well that they had Butch over a barrel. They siht on him and let him know he needed Miami, but Miami didn't need Butch.

No man would put up with that, especially after all the hard work he'd done through some really suckass times.

So when today, with everyone a bit more mature and a bit more reasonable, and I hear that Butch would LOVE to come back? It's a no-brainer! Fifteen years with Jimmy Johnson, five at Oklahoma State, five at Miami, five at the Cowboys - and the fact that he carefully selected loads of talented self-starters with great work ethics, the fact that he made the utmost of what limited numbers he had, and STILL put together (arguably) three national championship teams - shows he knows what the **** he's doing.

Wow what a load of ****

Please expound.

I wasn't sure about Butch after '98. And when I thought Schiano had called for press-man with no safety help for the Chafie Fields play (Ed Reed phucked that up, moot anyway Kenny Kelly got that **** First Down!) I wanted the whole bunch of them gone. But after driving up to Trailerhassee and watching that game live, and hearing about how great that Nole team was supposed to be; I knew we were right there. I told my brother on the way home, we didn't have thehorses to hang for four quarters this year, but we'll get that *** next year in the OB. We **** near all died of dehydration (thank God for the upper deck shade, I don't know how those poor souls without it survived) but we got em.

Bring that man back. You think he's lost his eye for talent or drive?

Ill expound quickly by saying that if you people think that golden is getting a lot of heat now, it was nothing like butch, everybody wanted Butch out, so for this guy to sit there and say that he wasn't against Butch, especially given his history of how he reacts to coaches is complete BS

I would love to have the mind-reading talent you apparently possess. Care to share the winning powerball numbers while you're at it? You don't know how far archer felt about Butch. Were you part of the original Grassy that was run by Bryan Knoll? I wish we could back and read what some if these folks were saying then too.

I know that Butch caught a lot of **** from fans. He made some really baffling game day decisions (that might be expected from a first time head coach). What nobody gave him crap for was scheme, effort or player aggressiveness. If you can't see the differences between the Butch coached teams and this dumpster fire, then you either aren't being honest or just don't know football.

Either way you can climb, jump or fall right off your high-horse pal, you look like an *** right now.

Lol I've seen it all now, the "I saw potential in Butch" brigade, hahahahaha

Advertisement
Butch Davis built it, set it up, and even the players admit - everything was on automatic for 2001.

Sure wish we could get him back.

Just out of curiosity did you want Butch fired back then before things started to turn around.

Not trying to start a war just want a honest answer because i'll admit after losing to Az State at home and ECU and a couple other losses I was wanting him fired before the 99 season began

Honesty. I didn't. Sports Illustrated covers talking about closing down the program, bad press everywhere, and the sanctions we got were pretty hard. I sincerely was grateful that we didn't get the SMU sudden death.

So I knew the sanctions, I knew we were going to lose some ten scholarships for three consecutive years, and assumed we'd lose some serious games, just by being outmanned. I was pleasantly surprised that we did as well as we did, and Butch endeared himself to a lot of us by hanging tough.

A lot of folks were mad when he left, but all Miami had to do was meet him halfway on the buyout. That was the only thing left undone on the contract, and the U were dragging their feet on it, knowing good and well that they had Butch over a barrel. They siht on him and let him know he needed Miami, but Miami didn't need Butch.

No man would put up with that, especially after all the hard work he'd done through some really suckass times.

So when today, with everyone a bit more mature and a bit more reasonable, and I hear that Butch would LOVE to come back? It's a no-brainer! Fifteen years with Jimmy Johnson, five at Oklahoma State, five at Miami, five at the Cowboys - and the fact that he carefully selected loads of talented self-starters with great work ethics, the fact that he made the utmost of what limited numbers he had, and STILL put together (arguably) three national championship teams - shows he knows what the **** he's doing.

Wow what a load of ****

No, that's the way it was. If I really need any siht out of you, I'll just give your head a little squeeze.

Butch Davis learned a LOT from Jimmy Johnson, and he applied what he learned. No one, and I mean NO ONE has ever put together a team like Butch Davis did.

Even an *** such as yourself would have to agree on that.

Wow what a load of ****

Please expound.

I wasn't sure about Butch after '98. And when I thought Schiano had called for press-man with no safety help for the Chafie Fields play (Ed Reed phucked that up, moot anyway Kenny Kelly got that **** First Down!) I wanted the whole bunch of them gone. But after driving up to Trailerhassee and watching that game live, and hearing about how great that Nole team was supposed to be; I knew we were right there. I told my brother on the way home, we didn't have thehorses to hang for four quarters this year, but we'll get that *** next year in the OB. We **** near all died of dehydration (thank God for the upper deck shade, I don't know how those poor souls without it survived) but we got em.

Bring that man back. You think he's lost his eye for talent or drive?

Ill expound quickly by saying that if you people think that golden is getting a lot of heat now, it was nothing like butch, everybody wanted Butch out, so for this guy to sit there and say that he wasn't against Butch, especially given his history of how he reacts to coaches is complete BS

I would love to have the mind-reading talent you apparently possess. Care to share the winning powerball numbers while you're at it? You don't know how far archer felt about Butch. Were you part of the original Grassy that was run by Bryan Knoll? I wish we could back and read what some if these folks were saying then too.

I know that Butch caught a lot of **** from fans. He made some really baffling game day decisions (that might be expected from a first time head coach). What nobody gave him crap for was scheme, effort or player aggressiveness. If you can't see the differences between the Butch coached teams and this dumpster fire, then you either aren't being honest or just don't know football.

Either way you can climb, jump or fall right off your high-horse pal, you look like an *** right now.

that's pretty much exactly what people gave him crap for. It's the reason he had to fire his BFF after four seasons as DC because they were fielding what many people thought at the time were dog shizz hurricane defenses and bring in some monkey looking DB coach from da Bears and hammer out a new defensive philosophy. Honestly if someone said McNabb became the #2 overall pick in the 99 NFL draft because of that 1998 beatdown, I'd believe them yo. Matter of fact if you were to say Kareem Abdul Jabbar to Butch or Bill, they'll probably assume you were talking about Karim.

It's alright to want Butch back, but no reason to act like at one time he wasn't viewed as the wrong guy for the job. It happens, **** Butch admits he made a big mistake bolting for a loser situation in Cleveland, even if he tries to paint it as a decision he was forced into and fails to talk about the role he played in the contract negotiation breakdown.

Advertisement
Three thoughts:

1. Journalism at it's finest
2. Ed Reed soul UM GOAT- maybe not the best player all time but the best soul all time.
3. This artilce should be in the locker room forever in home games and reading material in all big road games on bus and plane ride.

Have to have balls to compliment skill

Advertisement
Back