MUST READ- Oral History on the 2001 Canes

Advertisement
All these years and I still haven't figured out how they lost two games in those 3 years. Well, lost one, cause we all know they beat OSU. I laugh when they tried to compare even Saban's Bama to that team. Bama got given second chances to play for some NC.s; we got robber of one chanced and had another stolen buy refs.

Like others have said, feel so fortunate to have been able to watch that group. Ed Reed is the absolute GOAT Hurricane.

Like others have said, feel so fortunate to have been able to watch that group. Ed Reed is the absolute GOAT Hurricane.

100% agreement here. I started following the Canes in like 1999, and by 2000, I was pretty hardcore for a freshman in high school in Goose Creek, SC without internet access (Thank God for NCAA Football). 2001 was obviously a huge year. Then came 2002, and f'n Sean Taylor hit the scene, and UM football being crack cocaine for me.

As far as Ed Reed, I've always preferred Sean to him, but since watching Najeh's documentary, and this article, I'm truly understanding who the "f" Ed Reed is and was to this program. Dude is UM football.

Last edited:
Butch Davis built it, set it up, and even the players admit - everything was on automatic for 2001.

Sure wish we could get him back.

Just out of curiosity did you want Butch fired back then before things started to turn around.

Not trying to start a war just want a honest answer because i'll admit after losing to Az State at home and ECU and a couple other losses I was wanting him fired before the 99 season began

Honesty. I didn't. Sports Illustrated covers talking about closing down the program, bad press everywhere, and the sanctions we got were pretty hard. I sincerely was grateful that we didn't get the SMU sudden death.

So I knew the sanctions, I knew we were going to lose some ten scholarships for three consecutive years, and assumed we'd lose some serious games, just by being outmanned. I was pleasantly surprised that we did as well as we did, and Butch endeared himself to a lot of us by hanging tough.

A lot of folks were mad when he left, but all Miami had to do was meet him halfway on the buyout. That was the only thing left undone on the contract, and the U were dragging their feet on it, knowing good and well that they had Butch over a barrel. They siht on him and let him know he needed Miami, but Miami didn't need Butch.

No man would put up with that, especially after all the hard work he'd done through some really suckass times.

So when today, with everyone a bit more mature and a bit more reasonable, and I hear that Butch would LOVE to come back? It's a no-brainer! Fifteen years with Jimmy Johnson, five at Oklahoma State, five at Miami, five at the Cowboys - and the fact that he carefully selected loads of talented self-starters with great work ethics, the fact that he made the utmost of what limited numbers he had, and STILL put together (arguably) three national championship teams - shows he knows what the **** he's doing.

Wow what a load of ****

Please expound.

I wasn't sure about Butch after '98. And when I thought Schiano had called for press-man with no safety help for the Chafie Fields play (Ed Reed phucked that up, moot anyway Kenny Kelly got that **** First Down!) I wanted the whole bunch of them gone. But after driving up to Trailerhassee and watching that game live, and hearing about how great that Nole team was supposed to be; I knew we were right there. I told my brother on the way home, we didn't have thehorses to hang for four quarters this year, but we'll get that *** next year in the OB. We **** near all died of dehydration (thank God for the upper deck shade, I don't know how those poor souls without it survived) but we got em.

Bring that man back. You think he's lost his eye for talent or drive?

Advertisement
Butch Davis built it, set it up, and even the players admit - everything was on automatic for 2001.

Just out of curiosity did you want Butch fired back then before things started to turn around.

Not trying to start a war just want a honest answer because i'll admit after losing to Az State at home and ECU and a couple other losses I was wanting him fired before the 99 season began

Honesty. I didn't. Sports Illustrated covers talking about closing down the program, bad press everywhere, and the sanctions we got were pretty hard. I sincerely was grateful that we didn't get the SMU sudden death.

So I knew the sanctions, I knew we were going to lose some ten scholarships for three consecutive years, and assumed we'd lose some serious games, just by being outmanned. I was pleasantly surprised that we did as well as we did, and Butch endeared himself to a lot of us by hanging tough.

A lot of folks were mad when he left, but all Miami had to do was meet him halfway on the buyout. That was the only thing left undone on the contract, and the U were dragging their feet on it, knowing good and well that they had Butch over a barrel. They siht on him and let him know he needed Miami, but Miami didn't need Butch.

No man would put up with that, especially after all the hard work he'd done through some really suckass times.

So when today, with everyone a bit more mature and a bit more reasonable, and I hear that Butch would LOVE to come back? It's a no-brainer! Fifteen years with Jimmy Johnson, five at Oklahoma State, five at Miami, five at the Cowboys - and the fact that he carefully selected loads of talented self-starters with great work ethics, the fact that he made the utmost of what limited numbers he had, and STILL put together (arguably) three national championship teams - shows he knows what the **** he's doing.

Wow what a load of ****

Please expound.

I wasn't sure about Butch after '98. And when I thought Schiano had called for press-man with no safety help for the Chafie Fields play (Ed Reed phucked that up, moot anyway Kenny Kelly got that **** First Down!) I wanted the whole bunch of them gone. But after driving up to Trailerhassee and watching that game live, and hearing about how great that Nole team was supposed to be; I knew we were right there. I told my brother on the way home, we didn't have thehorses to hang for four quarters this year, but we'll get that *** next year in the OB. We **** near all died of dehydration (thank God for the upper deck shade, I don't know how those poor souls without it survived) but we got em.

James Jackson got the 1st down that wasn't, if I remember correctly.

things would have been very different today had Butch never left. **** what could have been.

And people can use revisionist history all they want but hardly any Cane fans were on the Butch wagon until 2000.

This post has nothing to do with Golden, as he is no Butch and I want him gone.

Advertisement

100% agreement here. I started following the Canes in like 1999, and by 2000, I was pretty hardcore for a freshman in high school in Goose Creek, SC without internet access (Thank God for NCAA Football). 2001 was obviously a huge year. Then came 2002, and f'n Sean Taylor hit the scene, and UM football being crack cocaine for me.

As far as Ed Reed, I've always preferred Sean to him, but since watching Najeh's documentary, and this article, I'm truly understanding who the "f" Ed Reed is and was to this program. Dude is UM football.

Goose Creek, SC??? Small world. I spent a year there to attend a couple of schools. No offense, but I hated that place. Admittedly, it probably had more to do w/ the school than actual GS...

Wow what a load of ****

Exactly. And Loollllloooooooolllllooil at the likes believing him.

And people can use revisionist history all they want but hardly any Cane fans were on the Butch wagon until 2000.

This post has nothing to do with Golden, as he is no Butch and I want him gone.

Some of us saw it earlier. My son was accepted to Miami in 1998, but was a bit reluctant. I told him then, that before he graduated, the Canes would play for the NC. In 2001 we went to the Rose Bowl together.

I thought it was quite evident the talent that Butch was amassing, and coaching up; playmakers everywhere. The NC simply had to happen.

Got no Hopium now.

By the end of the read, and it was kinda long, i was actually almost dissapointed it wasnt even longer and went on to the 02 season. That would have been great to get the players comments on that OSU game also. But it was a really good read. Never knew the level that the players actually chewed eachother. Thats probably the most impressive thing about those teams. Could you imagine if Crab Legs pulled those stunts with this team? Reed would have killed him...

Advertisement
I emailed Aaron Torres thanking him for writing the article, this is what he sent back:

image (1).jpg
image.jpg

Seems like a good, intelligent writer...unlike many of our local media members

Wow what a load of ****

Please expound.

Ill expound quickly by saying that if you people think that golden is getting a lot of heat now, it was nothing like butch, everybody wanted Butch out, so for this guy to sit there and say that he wasn't against Butch, especially given his history of how he reacts to coaches is complete BS

Advertisement

Wow what a load of ****

Please expound.

Ill expound quickly by saying that if you people think that golden is getting a lot of heat now, it was nothing like butch, everybody wanted Butch out, so for this guy to sit there and say that he wasn't against Butch, especially given his history of how he reacts to coaches is complete BS

I would love to have the mind-reading talent you apparently possess. Care to share the winning powerball numbers while you're at it? You don't know how far archer felt about Butch. Were you part of the original Grassy that was run by Bryan Knoll? I wish we could back and read what some if these folks were saying then too.

I know that Butch caught a lot of **** from fans. He made some really baffling game day decisions (that might be expected from a first time head coach). What nobody gave him crap for was scheme, effort or player aggressiveness. If you can't see the differences between the Butch coached teams and this dumpster fire, then you either aren't being honest or just don't know football.

Either way you can climb, jump or fall right off your high-horse pal, you look like an *** right now.

things would have been very different today had Butch never left. **** what could have been.

It would have been better than those 80's dynasty canes. I don't see any team(lsu 03, usc, Alabama, any of those fla teams) ****** with us during that time if butch was here....

Butch got brutalized on Grassy in 99. Especially after the ECU home loss and the 44-10 drubbing at VTech. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

they should write a book on that team. someone who knows what they're doing should write a book on the greatest college football team ever assembled. Gary Smith or someone of that caliber

Advertisement
Back