Moves are being made

Heres something that could attract a head coach to come here:

Imagine being the head coach who saved the program and brought it back to life. Not just a program, a program like Miami. Although we suck right now, we gather national attention every single time we start winning a few games.

I think that could be attracting for some moving forward.

My concern is the people that think like that have one eye already on the next step. If thats what it takes to get back to being good then fine but coaches that think like that can go to similar situations with better extra stuff like; fan bases, on campus stadium, etc. Like Baylor, LSU, USC, Tennessee, etc.

Advertisement
My concern is the people that think like that have one eye already on the next step. If thats what it takes to get back to being good then fine but coaches that think like that can go to similar situations with better extra stuff like; fan bases, on campus stadium, etc. Like Baylor, LSU, USC, Tennessee, etc.
If every head coach we hired had NFL aspirations and made it, then it would mean they were having success here.

I'd gladly take another Jimmy Johnson over anyone else that would want to be here for life.

Absolutely. I was in school in '01. If I recall correctly, admissions went up 30% the following year.
Would be interesting to see Baga's out of state applicant pool post Sabag. I'm sure they didn't start attracting actual scholars but I also know a few mongoloids from the northeast that applied there based on the football program alone that couldn't have located Tuscaloosy on a map prior.

Miami being an occasionally respectable academic institution is a different story. We did/would draw actual good students when our national profile is heightened due to sports.

With this traction, Sunday = D Day for Manny at minimum.

Maybe my wish of seeing interim coach against NC State will come true....

Advertisement
If it’s a blow out (embarrassing loss, like a 42-17) IMO, Sunday could be interesting.

Otherwise, it seems like this will drag on after if I am reading the tea leaves correctly.

I feel like they are improperly using the coastal division as a barometer. Most years, yeah that is our first goal, win the coastal. The coastal has been awful this year so we still control our own destiny. i.e we still got a chance (we have one loss and believe UVA and Gtech have 2 and UNC has 3 Pitt and Vtech are both 1-0 but still on our schedule and play each other this week so one will then be tied with us) . it seems they want to let the coastal chances slip before they pull the trigger but that fails to account for the fact we can have an awful season and still win the coastal.

But maybe VT saves us? if VT beats pitt this week, they then go Syracuse, Gtech, BC and Duke. They are likely favored in every game. The last game? Nov 20 against us. If we blow another game or two and Vtech keeps winning our game on the 20th wont matter.

He raises tens of dollars each year!
stripping damon wayans jr GIF

Would be interesting to see Baga's out of state applicant pool post Sabag. I'm sure they didn't start attracting actual scholars but I also know a few mongoloids from the northeast that applied there based on the football program alone that couldn't have located Tuscaloosy on a map prior.

Miami being an occasionally respectable academic institution is a different story. We did/would draw actual good students when our national profile is heightened due to sports.
Through the roof, especially women, according to my cousin who has been a fundraiser there for 20 years. I remember that campus in the 90s. The development/transformation in less than 20 is hard to believe. Saban has made that school hundreds of millions of dollars.

Advertisement
If it’s a blow out (embarrassing loss, like a 42-17) IMO, Sunday could be interesting.

Otherwise, it seems like this will drag on after if I am reading the tea leaves correctly.
IMO he looses the next 3, no way he makes it through that stretch.

If every head coach we hired had NFL aspirations and made it, then it would mean they were having success here.

I'd gladly take another Jimmy Johnson over anyone else that would want to be here for life.
Agreed. Again, this was Manny's and Randy's dream job. How did that work out?

OTOH, this was always going to be a stepping stone for Howard, JJ, Butch and even Dennis Erickson. All four had NFL aspirations and that is perfectly fine with me. We don't need a lifer. We need a great coach. The program will always attract talented candidates. We just haven't been able to identify them the last 20 years or so.

James has some big money behind him who thinks he is an amazing fundraiser. I personally don’t see it - I think he is a wet blanket. More importantly, I think Athletics would sell itself if we were successful. At the end of day, it is a situation of “tomayto v. tomahto”. I believe the smartest thing the people who want change can do is to bifurcate football from the other sports. Sadly, this would cause more suffering for the other sports, one in particular, but it’s the best way to accomplish the end goal.

Advertisement
I don't know about the ND game specifically but there's a lot of data nationwide correlating positive athletic performance (mostly the football team) with increased applications.

Then you get more kids with higher GPA's/test scores and the schools ranking goes up.
'Bama has seen increases even in Graduate admissions applications. This seems to go beyond the typical high school teeny bopper wanting to go to their favorite team's college with little regard for the academic program offerings.

Agreed. Again, this was Manny's and Randy's dream job. How did that work out?

OTOH, this was always going to be a stepping stone for Howard, JJ, Butch and even Dennis Erickson. All four had NFL aspirations and that is perfectly fine with me. We don't need a lifer. We need a great coach. The program will always attract talented candidates. We just haven't been able to identify them the last 20 years or so.
Add Golden to that list. He mentioned that we haven't had a coach stay for 6 years and he wanted to be that guy.

Advertisement
Who cares if moves are being made if their done at a snails pace.
We are literally very close to this program being 2 years behind FSU if we lose to them.
We lose to FSU and the floor will literally fall under us.
Transfer portal is not going to be enough when even FSU looks like a better destination to transfer to.
The 23 kids are looking more to them than us now.

Advertisement
Back