Moves are being made

Chud?

Jesus Christ. It would be an upgrade, but I’d rather have someone who is young, innovative, and hungry for success.

While Chud is experienced and would bring some much needed stability and competence here, I don’t see a lot of upside.

I mean we need a dog on the recruiting trail — does Chud check that box?

Are we going to be running the same, dated pro-style offense that we just eradicated 2 years ago?

What kind of coaching network has he established?

This sounds like the type of move that will make those who expect 8-10 win seasons happy, not the rest of us who expect conference championships and playoff births.

Advertisement
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes is correct. This message may get lost in the shuffle of endless pages but here goes nothing.

First. OP saying moves being made behind BJ’s back is incorrect, unless you consider the usual informal back room channels being worked as “moves” which I don’t. The animosity and strife between the administration at the university, athletic, and external support levels is sky high. EVERYONE is aware of it and some have had the testicular fortitude to make it known face to face, I can firsthand assure you of that.

Second. I can tell you the foundation of the sales job Blake pulled when it comes to snatching Manny. The sales job went beyond just the closed doors of the prez and members of the board.

First let me say I don’t blame Manny. He was handed the keys to a super car which needed some work but by all accounts was on the mend. It’s not his fault he’s over his head. We’d all take the job as well. The understanding and promise of what was relayed by BJ and others who supported and facilitated the hire was contingent on conditions, first and foremost, the hiring and advising of someone who would walk Manny along in the journey of running the program. Performance will get both Manny and BJ canned yes. However, the failure to follow through with what was just mentioned will ultimately be the downfall. The failure to follow through in that guarantee provided by both of them has rubbed the university admin very wrong, including JF. Especially considering that Manny and BJ didn’t follow through with the promise out of fear of being exposed for who they are, i.e. being way over their heads. Ed was brought in post that promise not being honored as window dressing to cover this. My respect for Ed is beyond words. Again I will say firsthand he was not who those who received that promise had in mind. I’m not saying he’s done nothing, far from it. But the questions being raised on here of “where’s Ed”? “What’s Ed’s role” are completely a product of the window dressing of the position.

Third. I’ve heard varying opinions on JF’s involvement in the athletic department. Those who say he has no concern over the athletic department are both right and wrong. JF’s primary concern is not athletics. I’d argue that’s a good thing so long as the athletic admin knows what they are doing which we know is not the case. My understanding, at least what has been relayed by him, is he has at least listened to the trusted voices who have pressed a need for change. HE DOES want athletics to be successful although that’s not at the top of his list. It has been presented to him that you can have it both ways, but that it can’t be the case with someone like BJ. The massive hurdle now is the external source used to bring in the next AD. Again I will reiterate this conversation is not an unknown to BJ. I referenced him being canned earlier. The canning will not be via formal termination. The canning will be via him moving to another program under a “mutual understanding”. I can tell you BJ puts out the image of a mute, submissive little man. Don’t let that image fool you as he’s as stubborn and immovable as a boulder who’s too inept to realize he belongs anywhere but an athletics department. He’s been a yes man to those who matter in the admin to the point where they will take care of him to secure his ouster.

I understand the doom and gloom around the athletics department as a whole. But get this straight. Manny was not a lazy hire. Manny was a hire made under false pretenses by an absolute buffoon of an AD. The GD hire on my side of the athletic sphere was, and yes it was driven by connections and $. But make no mistake from a resume standpoint GD is light years ahead of Manny whether it ends up working or not.

The old saying of “you as a leader will be judged by who you delegate your authority to” is the primary issue at Miami and it starts from the prez all the way down to Manny who does not have the ability or willingness to place strong and knowledgeable generals around him. As much as I wish JF was not commanding this ship understand HE IS open to and moving toward a change at AD, at least that’s what he’s insinuated. The question now is the timing of such a move.

I’m going to be very careful with how I word this. Yes there has been informal contact with a few who are potential replacements for Manny. The commonality amongst all the temperatures of those contacted is the mess that is the athletic admin. And yes that is part of and most likely the most compelling argument for change pushed to JF and others. Yes it’s taken too long and we don’t like the path taken but based on what I know I will tell you changes are coming beyond just Manny.

Last but not least. I’m not a betting man but I will give my thoughts on who will be our next coach. My thoughts are based again not on feeling but instead what I’ve been told. Some I hope I’m wrong with but reality is reality. Unless his current trajectory of success changes for the worse it will be a very hard pull to lure MC, at least for now. I keep hearing $ as the reason. $ IS NOT the reason as contrary to belief it will be there if and when need be. The thought that MC is destined to land here because of outside variables is foolish. He’s a football guy through and through and he has a very very good thing going at Oregon which treats their athletics like gold. Yes there is intrigue on his part but intrigue will not alone make it happen. Our reputation as a **** show athletic department is not lost on MC and others who have been contacted. Unless you see wholesale changes prior to or right at the end of the season there will not be a chance to get him, even if that chance is slim to begin with.

Obviously Corch O has been mentioned as well. To my understanding there is a 0% chance this happens. The admin is not willing to take on anyone with any sort of past, whether directly involved or not, to lead the football team. I can tell you a former WVU coach has been informally contacted by ultimately someone with no dog in the fight other than being a very large financial donor. Not going to happen either based on some of the issues with past players and reputation. This is one area will JF has ZERO wiggle room for exception.

I do not believe we have any chance with any of the better known group of 5 coaches either. Quite frankly I think this is a good thing based on the AG experiment and some other experiences around football. WE ARE NOT viewed as a premier job and unfortunately it looks as if there will be some big shake ups at premier schools with a much better situation than we have now.

The biggest open door for me based on talk and upside is Chud. The biggest obstacle with him was his experience with the dysfunction in Cleveland and the **** show that is our situation. That being said HE IS there for the taking should we move fast enough. Yes there has been informal contact by many within the program. Again, not by decision makers but instead by influencers. Unlike some his sole goal is not the pro game. We’d be making a massive mistake if we did not lock him down. He checks every single box whether it be the “Miami guy” need or most importantly in my mind a track record of success who hasn’t burned any legitimate bridges by his doing along the way. Being in his early 50’s he’s the perfect combination of success and experience combined with the wiggle room of having another 10 or so years left to be at the top of his game.

Above all I’m holding out hope some of it all of what I’ve heard will happen. My family’s track record with Miami athletics goes back to the 40’s with the many of those years having someone occupying a spot on one team or another. Everything I’ve provided is not based on speculation but instead conversations I’ve had first hand with people I trust. Go Canes and someone please hit the fast forward button in our lives right now.
Great post and thank you for the information good sir. Chud is known as the “don” behind the scenes and has a respect level across the board in this game that very few have. If Mario says no, then I’ll take Chud in a second and I believe he’ll have us dominating the Corstal and competing for acc championships and the playoffs in 3 years.

Last edited:
I mean no. I don’t believe that. It’s not Mario or bust. Mario is on another tier public perception wise but coaching wise he’s among the level of guys we could at least talk to
You said Aranda would be interested. If he’s interested, what would the hold up be?

What this confirms is that the “we can do better” crowd that frequents our board are truly hovering around room temp IQ, clutching their turnover chain and staring longingly at the 2001 team photo. This job sucks and we will be lucky to get an established coach interested at all. I did think we could be better than Chud, but not surprising either
I’d be interested to see who chud surrounds himself with. He’s a good football coach man. Not even trying to sell hope. But I would need some young blood that knew what they were doing around him imo

I’ve heard little specifics when it comes to AD other than the hiring of an outside source to search. As for people’s reluctance with Chud. Understand Chud is an alpha who is comfortable enough in himself to put other respectable pieces around him in place, a la the opposite of what we have now. I think that’s vital. For anyone who played any reasonably high level athletics you know your interactions with the HC on a large team is minimal while the majority is with your position coach. Chud has more than enough experience and clout to put those pieces in place unlike the BS we’ve seen with AG and Manny. THERE WILL NOT be any Patke’s or bartenders in charge of the various units.

@SouthParkCane you are correct. This is not a prestigious job right now. And to be quite frank we do not have top level personnel either. Yes there are pieces, very good ones at QB, RB, and S. But let’s face it, when Jimmy Gaines looks like LT compared to what we’ve run out now we’ve got a problem. The bottom line is half measures WILL NOT work.

And as far as information goes it’s as solid as can be. Whether or not things change I can’t tell you. I can say the prez does notice and is not content on where things are.
Thanks for the info. Hard disagree though on the prestige of our job. We’re consistently rated as a Top 15-20 job in CFB. I think we’d definitely be able to pull a Napier if we needed to. Canning Blake and cleaning out the Athletic Department will also help rehabilitate and image issues.

Advertisement
Chud?! I like the guy a lot but I'm sorry as I'd instantly question his passion and motivations for taking the job. For yearrrrrs his name was always mentioned for openings here and it was always very quickly knocked down as him having zero interest. The quickness of these retorts leads one to absolutely believe they were coming from Chud himself.

Now fast forward many years and there's almost zero cache to his name across football and he's in a non-descript position at BC of all places and NOW he has interest? If true, it seems more like either the act of a desperate man or one looking to build his name back up rather than one with some fire to save his alma mater's football program.

I could be too harsh here but this is absolutely a mistake we cannot risk making.

Advertisement
It comes down to what reality is. I seen @Liberty City El tell you all how we’re viewed as a program right now and ya’ll hit him with mad rebuttals. All year I’ve discussed how we were viewed as it pertains to a certain 5 star recruit and I got push back as well. Fan is short for fanatic so I get it, but for those who are able to take the canes shades off. This isn’t a good job today. We’ll have some interesting names pop up. But tamper your expectations
this is a middling program in a. middling conference with some resources invested as it relates to the current day CFB but not a complete investment. also, were in a pro city w a small undergrad and don't have the traditional football environment some coaches prefer. if we pony up, we may get the guys we want, but I doubt well go beyond what we paid richt (maybe slightly more than that).

I’ve heard little specifics when it comes to AD other than the hiring of an outside source to search. As for people’s reluctance with Chud. Understand Chud is an alpha who is comfortable enough in himself to put other respectable pieces around him in place, a la the opposite of what we have now. I think that’s vital. For anyone who played any reasonably high level athletics you know your interactions with the HC on a large team is minimal while the majority is with your position coach. Chud has more than enough experience and clout to put those pieces in place unlike the BS we’ve seen with AG and Manny. THERE WILL NOT be any Patke’s or bartenders in charge of the various units.

@SouthParkCane you are correct. This is not a prestigious job right now. And to be quite frank we do not have top level personnel either. Yes there are pieces, very good ones at QB, RB, and S. But let’s face it, when Jimmy Gaines looks like LT compared to what we’ve run out now we’ve got a problem. The bottom line is half measures WILL NOT work.

And as far as information goes it’s as solid as can be. Whether or not things change I can’t tell you. I can say the prez does notice and is not content on where things are.
I’m not surprised in the least that the HC job at Miami is not viewed as prestigious. It’s been a cluster**** for years and lost it’s luster several years ago. Richt was able to buy some good will when he fell into our lap, but that good will has quickly evaporated with the current situation.

I’ve been cane for over 50 years. Many of the current fans came on board during the championship years and have no clue what it was like beforehand. You and your family have obviously been around longer than I and are aware of the challenges past and present. Schnelly caught the CFB world by surprise and JJ and Erickson kept the ball rolling until everyone else caught up.

I’ve said several times in the past few weeks that it will take a visionary AD and a transformational HC to get us back to the “glory years”. The obvious issues are do the powers that be have the intestinal fortitude to make the nevssary changes, will they conduct a proper search, and is there anyone willing to accept the challenge.

Time will tell - hopefully in short order.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’d be interested to see who chud surrounds himself with. He’s a good football coach man. Not even trying to sell hope. But I would need some young blood that knew what they were doing around him imo
Chud has contacts throughout the nfl on par with tHe best of them. We’d have an NFL level staff on par with what Butch had here no doubt in my mind. That’s how connected chud is. Our development and discipline issues would be a thing of the past as we would be a fundamentally sound team. You add that to the talent we currently have and the talent will attract with a legit nfl staff and the coastal is ours. Which will lead to Consistently being in the acc title game which will lead to winning it here and there and a shot at the playoffs. After the last 16 years ill
Take that in a heartbeat!

Advertisement
Back