Motions

We can run some fairly simple motion concepts. Seriously, as I said non-stop for the last 3 seasons, I'd watch some HS football games where the QB would run a player across and back and at least get to unearth coverages (man underneath, etc.). Some people think motion is like a magic pill that's going to get guys wide open. More likely, it's just a basic tool to help out the QB with info and perhaps a guy like Mark Pope in better matchups.

But, the fact you don't do it at all makes some wonder what else you're not doing to make things easier. At worst, it places the defense in a position to prepare harder. We must have been the easiest team to prepare for all f'in season and that's just sad.

This. Motion isn't some magic potion that turns a bad offense into a great one. (See Fuente's toilet offense at VT) but it certainly can help. What I'm more interested in is how many formations they're going to use. I think Richt used 5 or 6 total. If they break the huddle against Florida in one formation and then motion into a different one, I may **** my pants.

Advertisement
We can run some fairly simple motion concepts. Seriously, as I said non-stop for the last 3 seasons, I'd watch some HS football games where the QB would run a player across and back and at least get to unearth coverages (man underneath, etc.). Some people think motion is like a magic pill that's going to get guys wide open. More likely, it's just a basic tool to help out the QB with info and perhaps a guy like Mark Pope in better matchups.

But, the fact you don't do it at all makes some wonder what else you're not doing to make things easier. At worst, it places the defense in a position to prepare harder. We must have been the easiest team to prepare for all f'in season and that's just sad.
This.

I think it speaks to bigger problems especially when you either:

A. Refuse to make adjustments

or (even scarier)

B. You are unable to make them

Watching our team the last couple of years, especially last year, was like a case study in adjustments. One side of the ball....nothing, the other side.....at times almost obsessively trying different things

Richts playbook was written with fingerpaint

Anything is going to be a big improvement
Not being mean towards Richt and his staff but,

I just feel better this year with our staff with Enos in charge.

Advertisement
No ****, you would think that we just moved on from the wishbone.

Even the ****tiest of offenses had motion, we did not....:hopelessness:

This. Motion isn't some magic potion that turns a bad offense into a great one. (See Fuente's toilet offense at VT) but it certainly can help. What I'm more interested in is how many formations they're going to use. I think Richt used 5 or 6 total. If they break the huddle against Florida in one formation and then motion into a different one, I may **** my pants.
Bring several pairs then...

Advertisement

Look no farther than VT. All week of that game I was laughing at how puzzled Bud Foster must have been watching Miami tape. Are they even trying to win? A guy like that, who has seen every type of offense you can see, must have been absolutely baffled.

And predictably, even with that shell of a team VT had, Foster basically stymied the offense pretty well. Miami averaged 5.14 YPP that day, which was the 3rd lowest VT allowed all season. Only Duke and William and Mary were worse.

LOL...There's nothing basic about using motion and in fact it i used to get guys open, good OC's use it as a strategy to get guys open....you essentially change the strong side/weakside of the defense and if they don't adjust = cooked. I'm sure you know that.

You got jet sweep series of motions where teams are running trap, dive, belly, g lead and counter off of. You have motions with just the Z, just the just the Y, half motions, whip motions, etc...In no way is it basic tool....motion in an offense is essential.

Advertisement
LOL...There's nothing basic about using motion and in fact it i used to get guys open, good OC's use it as a strategy to get guys open....you essentially change the strong side/weakside of the defense and if they don't adjust = cooked. I'm sure you know that.

You got jet sweep series of motions where teams are running trap, dive, belly, g lead and counter off of. You have motions with just the Z, just the just the Y, half motions, whip motions, etc...In no way is it basic tool....motion in an offense is essential.
I think you misread my post. It was an answer to someone concerned about whether our guys were going to get confused by introducing motion. There are many levels to the types of motion an O-coordinator can use. It can absolutely be used as a simpler tool (like switching sides and to give the QB some initial info) all the way to really complex stuff (often times to alter blocking schemes in both the run and pass game).

We agree it's essential. Been saying that for 3 years. If we watch some of the top offenses in the L, they'll actually motion multiple times within a set. They use their WRs to get OL to the second level quicker. There are endless opportunities when we begin to use the rules to our benefit.

I think you misread my post. It was an answer to someone concerned about whether our guys were going to get confused by introducing motion. There are many levels to the types of motion an O-coordinator can use. It can absolutely be used as a simpler tool (like switching sides and to give the QB some initial info) all the way to really complex stuff (often times to alter blocking schemes in both the run and pass game).

We agree it's essential. Been saying that for 3 years. If we watch some of the top offenses in the L, they'll actually motion multiple times within a set. They use their WRs to get OL to the second level quicker. There are endless opportunities when we begin to use the rules to our benefit.

respect....great points

Advertisement
Its actually pretty sad when you see the players make this very open joke..

They must have honestly been like WTF Mork we ran a more complex offense in high school bro???
Pope played at Southridge,where there offense consisted of - GO DEEP

I just want to point out that against FSU, down by 21, Richt ran the IZ 3 times in a row for -6 yards. Tecmo Bowl was more creative.

I love Enos' quote about looking complex, but really being simple.

To me, that's sums it up

Advertisement
Back