Most Under Appreciated Star in a Canes’ Uni

Ken Dorsey! Some people here would have you believe that anyone with a pulse at QB could've done what he did, which is straight up BS! Did Kenny Kelly do what he did? Did Brock? Both had very similar talent around them and none of them got close. And both were highly touted QBs coming out of high school. GO CANES!!!
Dorsey was no slouch in HS...

Advertisement
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gino Toretta. He is a 2x national champion and a Heisman winner, but I swear no one ever mentions his name on CIS. Is it the way he went out against Bama? Something else? Dude was a great QB for us and he gets lost in the shuffle.

Great topic OP!!

Bubba McDowell comes to mind but there are so many unsung hero's that have laid it all on the line for this U.

Bubba was a punt blocking machine and a great Dback.

Illustrious NFL career too.

Merritt Island baby!!

Go Canes!!!

Sticking with some more Merritt Island boys!!
Darryl Spencer & Hurley Brown and if it wasn't for injuries, Eric Hamm would have been special as well.

Go Canes!!!

Sticking with some more Merritt Island boys!!
Darryl Spencer & Hurley Brown and if it wasn't for injuries, Eric Hamm would have been special as well.

Go Canes!!!
I thought you were from Lake Lucerne in Miami Gardens.

Who was the TE from Merritt Island? I think he went to Notre Dame. Derrick Brown???? I can’t remember. Too much weed in my lifetime.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gino Toretta. He is a 2x national champion and a Heisman winner, but I swear no one ever mentions his name on CIS. Is it the way he went out against Bama? Something else? Dude was a great QB for us and he gets lost in the shuffle.

I think it’s the way he went out against Bama & had a zero type NFL career. He’s from The Bay, too.

Advertisement
I think while he was here, Reggie Wayne. I don’t think it was until his NFL career where he really started getting his due. He was always a bit in Santana’s shadow.

I’ll put Bubba Franks up there too. He gets a little lost in the mix of great TEs.
For me it’s Reggie, already thought he was overlooked even before pulling up his stats after reading this thread and my feeling is even stronger now. He is our all time leader in receptions, 2nd in yards only behind Santana (they played the same four years which is nuts) and 4th in TD’s. I feel like he was appreciated more after the NFL career he had but he was an absolute monster for us in college

Really had no business winning the Heisman to be Honest....Marshall Faulk should have Won...

Appreciate ur honesty on this!!

Listen, trophy case & bias aside, he won b/c we were the hottest team in America! Dude had pedestrian stats, low key. He had 3000 Yrds passing on 19 TD & 4 ints w/ his completion % being pretty meh.

Faulk, that same season, put up dang near 2200 APY & 24 TDs!! Faulk definitely should’ve won. If he played on a ND, USC, Oklahoma, Bama, etc. type team w/ those stats, hands down he wins.

Gino got Miami love; Iirc, we were on like a 28 or 29 game winning streak at that time, til Bama ended that chit & exposed Toretta butt *** naked. Smh. That game still hurts me.

Advertisement
Appreciate ur honesty on this!!

Listen, trophy case & bias aside, he won b/c we were the hottest team in America! Dude had pedestrian stats, low key. He had 3000 Yrds passing on 19 TD & 4 ints w/ his completion % being pretty meh.

Faulk, that same season, put up dang near 2200 APY & 24 TDs!! Faulk definitely should’ve won. If he played on a ND, USC, Oklahoma, Bama, etc. type team w/ those stats, hands down he wins.

Gino got Miami love; Iirc, we were on like a 28 or 29 game winning streak at that time, til Bama ended that chit & exposed Toretta butt *** naked. Smh. That game still hurts me.
@Rellyrell ...And Faulk had over 100yds against us...although we Won...but c'mon, it was San Diego St....Erickson's no recruiting *** offered him as a DB....Smfh...****, if not Faulk, Garrison Hearst had a Great yr....

Last edited:
He doesn’t get as much recognition because he played on some terrible defenses but Denzel Perryman was the best tackler I’ve ever seen at UM. He probably wasn’t the freaky athlete like some other UM linebacker greats but when he got his hands on you, you went down. I just remember him being the one man to beat to break a big play so many times and he always made the stop.

He doesn’t get as much recognition because he played on some terrible defenses but Denzel Perryman was the best tackler I’ve ever seen at UM. He probably wasn’t the freaky athlete like some other UM linebacker greats but when he got his hands on you, you went down. I just remember him being the one man to beat to break a big play so many times and he always made the stop.
Perryman always reminded me of Nate Webster with his stocky build and ferocious hits.

Advertisement
Perryman was really solid but ray lewis was the best tackler in football history. People remember him for hits but he always made the tackle. Just sayin. Morgan too at UM.

Nate was the Best Tackler I've ever seen at UM....Better than Denzel....300+ tackles in only 22 games at UM.....and 400+ tackles in HS at MNW....

Perryman was really solid but ray lewis was the best tackler in football history. People remember him for hits but he always made the tackle. Just sayin. Morgan too at UM.
Nah Man....Nate was the best tackler....Ray nor Morgan sniffed 300+ tackles in a 22 game span...if Nate didn't come out as early as he did...his LBing records would be untouchable...

Advertisement
Perryman always reminded me of Nate Webster with his stocky build and ferocious hits.
Nate's Hits at Practice are Historical....Didnt matter if it were Edge...or James Jackson....He Hit and played like every practice were a Super Bowl....I never heard Thumps from Hits like I heard from Nate...You could hear them from 100yds away...

Best tacklers: 1. Ray Lewis 2. Dan Morgan 3. Micheal Barrow

Hardest hitters: 1. Nate Webster 2. Denzel Perryman 3. Rohan Marley

Advertisement
Back